Home Dialysis Central

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Unregistered Guest

Cool POT smoking on Dialysis

Well Its better than drinking i guess and it was once said it helped with animia and cramping . Queen Elizibith used it for a number of years for cramps I also have a fealling its better then xanex and clonipin due you think its bad ?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well Its better than drinking i guess and it was once said it helped with animia and cramping . Queen Elizibith used it for a number of years for cramps I also have a fealling its better then xanex and clonipin due you think its bad ?
    First of all, drinking isn't that bad for dialysis patients, except for the fluid restrictions. As long as you take binders when you drink, it should be fine. Secondly, pot smoking can prevent you from getting a transplant. Natural herbs could make you reject a transplant, so no transplant center will accept you if you smoke pot.
    And thirdly, I'd rather take Xanex than smoke pot, jsut so I could get a transplant!! lol
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Wink dude

weel i guess you can say your wrong alcohol kills dialysis patients aspessally if they drink beer. I also can say xanex is alott worse since its pysically addicting. transplant centers will not take a drunk as that is probablly why they burned out there kidney in the first place. Pot is a herb that was provided to us from nature ther are benifits of smoking less anxioty ,anema ,cramping ,appitite and you dont KILL braincells unlike alcohol or sniffing glue. The old timers always think of the refer madness era it was all the goverment taking a fredom away from people who wish to feel better. I personally have seen people or drunks not live very long on h.d. I dont mean a shot or two at familly gaterings but alot. Alcohol affects so many organs in the body. Pot just doesnt maybe the lungs and a love handle or two. But you dont beat your wife or drive over small children on pot just mellow jello.
    IP

It's my understanding that one of the criteria that most transplant programs have is that the candidate not be abusing alcohol, using any recreational drugs, including pot, or smoking cigarettes to get a transplant. They may require that someone who is using to be drug-free for a set period of time (I've heard 6 months) and often they contract with patients and require them to agree to submit to random drug testing to prove that they are not still using.
    Beth Witten MSW ACSW LSCSW
    Medical Education Institute, Inc.
    IP

I think if something helps with nausia and has really no significant side effects then why not? In the Netherlands a lot of the dialyzors admit to smoking pot. The reason why it is not openly talked about here in the US is the hypocrasy of the State not because of any medical contraindication.

Like anything if it is a problem then it is a problem but there is no reason to think that smoking pot per se is a problem. The main reason pot can become a problem is if it interfears with life activities - and as always it is dangerous to mix drugs. For instance mixing pot and television is a bad idea.

The question of transplant centers concerning themselves with pot use is not related to whether I think pot is bad. Pot is neither good or bad, but clearly it is much healthier than booze or cigaretts.

I, like the Dutch, believe a victimless crime is an absurdity. People, especially people with chronic illnesses should be allowed to live their lives as best they can without being second guessed by a nany State.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle
    tracking industry news and trends, in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
    -------- -
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]-------- [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]
    NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]2days on/1day off, 30 Liters @ 250Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF28[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]
    Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
    [/FONT]
    IP

I suspect with pot as with cigarettes it may be the potential damage to lungs that inhalants do and the associated risk of anesthesia if someone has compromised lungs that may be the reason for discouraging smoking anything.

So far as use of recreational drugs (including alcohol), I believe the concern among dialysis and transplant professionals is that someone "under the influence" might have impaired thinking, may pass out, and and thus may not take their medications or follow their treatment plan and may risk the donated organ. Plus some recreational drugs are known to damage kidney tissue. The Northwest Kidney Centers' website has general information on drugs and effects on kidneys:
    http://www.nwkidney.org/yourhealth/druguse/index.html
    Beth Witten MSW ACSW LSCSW
    Medical Education Institute, Inc.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    weel i guess you can say your wrong alcohol kills dialysis patients aspessally if they drink beer. I also can say xanex is alott worse since its pysically addicting. transplant centers will not take a drunk as that is probablly why they burned out there kidney in the first place. Pot is a herb that was provided to us from nature ther are benifits of smoking less anxioty ,anema ,cramping ,appitite and you dont KILL braincells unlike alcohol or sniffing glue. The old timers always think of the refer madness era it was all the goverment taking a fredom away from people who wish to feel better. I personally have seen people or drunks not live very long on h.d. I dont mean a shot or two at familly gaterings but alot. Alcohol affects so many organs in the body. Pot just doesnt maybe the lungs and a love handle or two. But you dont beat your wife or drive over small children on pot just mellow jello.
    I'm not totally wrong. I was just telling you what I was told. My dialysis center told me that it was ok to drink here and there as long as you take binders when you do. As for Xanex, I've taken them many times and never got addicted. It's the person's fault if they get addicted. They should know better than to abuse them. Finally, I know that pot is a natural herb, but the transplant center I went to in 2005 said that herbs, including pot, can make you reject a new kidney. I'm not saying pot is bad; I'm just telling you what I was told. I used to smoke a lot until I was told that I wouldn't be able to get a transplant if I kept it up. I've been clean for over a year now. I wish I was healthy so I could go back to it, but I will never be able to. That's just life.
    IP

In a sense alcohol is way more deadly than smoking POT...BUT people also die from lung cancer for smoking POT....either way, you play with drugs you get burned. You will only enjoy the good short experiences short-time. Just kinda imagine that marijuana is legal everywhere, would it look nice to see all youngsters at school smoking it? Alcohol is legal and I know all of you have saw people placing it in their store carts and you all have even tried it...happiness ain't it? Now what would happen if you have both alcohol and marijuana legalized? hehehe.....any kinda drug can be addictive but there needs to be control, that's why we have laws to limit the use of these drugs. If your using illegal drugs, you'll never get away with it and as a patient it will affect you. Once you start sometimes its hard to stop it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EmsFI4AqcE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5tmNQW3d5A
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PV4bj6k7kzs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldGBdazThc
    Gus Castaneda
    Hemodialysis initial Start: 1978
    Home Hemodialysis: 11/2004 - Present
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org

IP

Default Pot smoking on dialysis

When I went in to the transplant center for a re-transplant work-up they had me sign a document agreeing to NOT drink alcohol. They told me that alcohol and the immune supression drugs do not mix and that you will damage your transplanted kidney. Being that I have to watch my fluid intake (not as much doing SDHD) I chose to drink fluids that quench rather than dehydrate. Perhaps POT might have a similar affect when using immune supression drugs. As always, moderation is the key - you don't want your judgement impaired when you are on the machine.
    CKD 1993
    Dialysis 1996-1998
    Transplant 1998-2004
    Hemo In Center 2004-2005
    SDD NxStage 2005-Present
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Cool

Hi there well I do appricate all the feed back. I ve in h.d for a while and seen alott younger people seem to be affraid to ask these kind of questions when they know there Dr will say hell no. A young couple asked me one day if pot was bad for them after informing them that I was not a Dr or R.N just a tech I felt with experences in the past pot really help some and alcohol is much more harmful thinking this guy was still in college and taking beer bongs from the roof. I also find pot left by patients in Dialysis chairs all the time and other things much much more harmfull like crack. I havent seen that in a while. I once had a patient on H.d that could not eat due to nausia and vomiting he was really looking death in the mirror and his insurance would not help him with this life saving stomach deffibulator. He kind of looked like a old hippie so I just asked him if he used to smoke not advising him but just woundering he said he used to and his brother still smokes. I just kindly said maybe he should go see his brother that advise only. This was on a Friday by next tx he looked so much better he gained some weight and his wife told me hes eating thank god. Later that month it was obvious he was still alive to to the plant. He never told me straight out I think he was a little embaressed but he would give me thanks a the time for telling him to see his brother. I also wanted to say ibprofrin ADVIL type products in high dosses 800mg or higher have been known to cause kidney problems I have seen it first hand happen to quit a few people. I hope you all dont take this the wrong way this is a topic brought up alott when you in a center. I will tell you one thing in 6 months 2 crack users died and fast in a unit i was in they would get on the machine high and after h.d for about 1 hour the drugs would dialize off and severe withdraw would set in very scary. Wish hapeness to all and please if you see pot on the ballot for the kidney challenged or anyone in need rethink the matter and vote to leagalize a herb that could bring great benifit and lower drug companies prices in this drug market its out of control!!Hey Bill Peckman thanks for the possitive feed back Seattle is so laid back they even have a time in augest at the water fron t in Seattle were you can smoke and get pot educated Vancouver Canada has also leagalized it whats wrong with this country???
    IP