Overnight Cycler for PD

My boyfriend is legally blind and cannot see the screen display on the overnight PD cycler. Are there any products that would allow him to access the standard screen? Thanks for your help.

Josette Coppola

[QUOTE=Unregistered;19284]My boyfriend is legally blind and cannot see the screen display on the overnight PD cycler. Are there any products that would allow him to access the standard screen? Thanks for your help.

Josette Coppola[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I do not think there is any device to help a blind person with the cycler screen displays. The only option is to have a sighted partner who can set up the cycler each night, be there at night to read alarms and disconnect in the morning for him. Most patients do not have alarms during the night but if he was alone at night and an alarm sounded, the machine would simply stop and he would not receive any more dialysis until someone came to troubleshoot. This would not be a serious problem if it only occurred infrequently and it is certainly not dangerous for the patient on PD (but would be dangerous on Hemodialysis). And a sighted person would need to be there to disconnect him in the morning anyway and to read the screen, troubleshoot the problem and call the clinic to report the loss of dialysis time. You should both speak with the home training nurses at your clinic to see if they have other ideas to assist him.
Judy