Home Dialysis Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cincinnati, Ohio NDXUFan(AOL) and officer312000(Yahoo)

Default How To Take a Shower With a Catheter

I have been taking a shower with my catheter since February. Here is how it works. I wash off with Body Wash at the sink. Then, I use two small hand fills of water to wet my hair and use a small amount of shampoo, rubbing it thru my hair. Next, I take a heavy and CLEAN towel, folded it into fours, so there are four layers between the water and the catheter. Now, I am ready for the shower. I turn on the water and I gently step into the shower tub, be careful in case the tub is a little wet, making sure the catheter is covered. I can rinse my entire body except for the catheter. You can rinse your neck and head, just make sure the catheter is covered with the clean towel, rinse slowly. Do not worry if the tape off of the catheter gets wet, it will not cause an infection. Now, when you are done, use a mask and gloves to change the catheter, DO NOT change your catheter without gloves, mask, and clean hands. When in the shower, move the bottom part of the catheter that is flexible and rinse, making sure the bottom part does not get wet. Water=GERMS. When you come out of the shower, have a clean, handy towel to wipe off your hair, so the water does not get into the catheter. When done drying the hair, remove the heavy towel away from the catheter, making sure there is not a threat of water going into the catheter. When cleaning with water with the neck, head, and hair, press hard on the towel where the main part of the catheter happens to be, so the water has nowhere to go except away from the catheter.

You could check out these, too--from our Helpful Products Catalog: http://www.homedialysis.org/hpc/inde...products_id=46.

I had a catheter once and didn't find too bad in the shower I just set the temp to little cooler then normal and stood back and washed section at a time. Seem too work not bad but now I got a fistula so don't worry about it but showing with a catheter wasn't that bad you just have too be more careful thats all.

Default Re: How To Take a Shower With a Catheter

As an RN working in the hospital, I had to shower many patients with many different types of catheters, wounds, incisions, etc...We used a product named shower shield and I just found it today at Wal Mart. It is very affordable and looks just like the product we used in-patient. I used it the other day to cover a 'strawberry' my son got while playint t-ball. In the hospital we used it mostly for central lines and periphereal IV's and stuff like that.

Cincinnati, Ohio NDXUFan(AOL) and officer312000(Yahoo)

Outstanding, Doug, what a great idea. I have posted it on the dialysis boards.

There are a few products that are specifically designed for this. My aunt was a dialysis nurse for years and helped design an affordable ($5/each), disposable, waterproof bandage designed specifically for dialysis patients. Unlike a lot of the other waterproof bandages that are out there this is built specifically to accomodate a catheter and allow full body showering while keeping water away from the entry site. It can be seen and ordered through this site if anyone is interested http://brennanlake.com/products/h2omitt/

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on whether this would do the job. Really interested in feedback!

I live in south west of America. And my aunt is a serious patient of dialysis. She is suffering it from past two to three years. Is there any way to get rid of it.Please share some information.
    The doctor excuse are good for taking leave from office and are easily available on web.

If someone has a sudden kidney injury, kidney function may return after a short time of doing dialysis. However, in most cases when kidney damage has occurred over time (chronic kidney disease), dialysis or a transplant are required to keep the person alive. If your aunt is healthy enough, she may want to talk with staff from a transplant program to learn more and seek evaluation. Transplant is not a cure, but another treatment for kidney failure. Some people choose not to treat kidney failure or to stop treatment. Without treatment, kidney failure will lead to death.
    Beth Witten MSW ACSW LSCSW
    Medical Education Institute, Inc.

I use the shield sold by www.korshield.com. You still have to be careful, but you can take showers with and keep the cath dry. I had a problem with mine (the seal started to come unglued form the waterproof fabric) and the supplier was absolutely fantastic getting a replacement out immediately.

It's great to hear that the Korshield folks have good customer service, AlbertDog. Thanks so much for sharing that. :-)