Insulin dosing on CAPD

Dear Judith,
I am new to PD and recently started on CAPD, I have been having a very hard time dosing insulin since starting on the automated system, would you have “A rough estimate” of grams of carbs in a 5000ml bag of solution? Any information you may offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Lenny

[QUOTE=Lenny Fash;20625]Dear Judith,
I am new to PD and recently started on CAPD, I have been having a very hard time dosing insulin since starting on the automated system, would you have “A rough estimate” of grams of carbs in a 5000ml bag of solution? Any information you may offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Lenny[/QUOTE]

Dear Lenny,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your insulin and blood sugar. Changing from CAPD to the cycler may require some time to adjust insulin doses, and you certainly would be helped by both a renal dietitian and nephrologist. I don’t have the numbers for a 5L bag but a 3L bag of 2.5% has 178 calories, and one usually absorbs about 70-80%. Of course the higher the concentration of dextrose, the more calories are contained. And each person on PD has a different membrane so they absorb dextrose at different rates. If you click on the URL below you should see a chart with the calories for various volumes and concentrations of dialysis solutions.

In addition, the types of insulin prescribed for you may be different on the cycler than on CAPD. Hope this all helps a bit.
Judy