Donating PD supplies

My husband, who was on PD for three months, passed away two weeks ago. I have over 30 boxes of PD dialysis fluids and
cassettes for the cycler, and cannot find anyone in my area who can accept them. Do you know where I can call or email
to donate these to someone. I cannot stand the thought of throwing them out, as I was told to do. I know they cost thousands of dollars and this just seems ridiculous, as the boxes are sealed from the factory. Thank you for any information you can give me.

I am very sorry for your loss and that you’re having to deal with unused supplies at this time.

It does seem ridiculous, but peritoneal dialysis solutions are considered drugs so legally they cannot be returned for use by another dialysis patient in the U.S. That said, if you call the company that manufactured the supplies (Baxter or Fresenius), they may be able to tell you any non-profit organization helping people in other countries could use them. Another option would be to contact a veterinarian or vet school to find out if they could use the PD supplies to treat animals with kidney failure. Finally, other patients’ families have reported that they have watered their gardens with the solution and it’s helped their garden grow.

[QUOTE=Beth Witten MSW ACSW;23076]I am very sorry for your loss and that you’re having to deal with unused supplies at this time.

It does seem ridiculous, but peritoneal dialysis solutions are considered drugs so legally they cannot be returned for use by another dialysis patient in the U.S. That said, if you call the company that manufactured the supplies (Baxter or Fresenius), they may be able to tell you any non-profit organization helping people in other countries could use them. Another option would be to contact a veterinarian or vet school to find out if they could use the PD supplies to treat animals with kidney failure. Finally, other patients’ families have reported that they have watered their gardens w ith the solution and it’s helped their garden grow.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your quick reply. I contacted Virginia Tech Vet center, they said they couldn’t use the supplies. Also contacted an organization called AMRF, in Colorado, but have no $ to get the supplies to them and they don’t have anyone close who could pick them up. I will continue to search, but again, thank you for your prompt response.

If you live in Virginia (I assumed that from the Virginia Tech reference), you might try calling Medical Missionaries which is located in Manassas, VA at (703) 361-5116. From their website it appears that they accept medicines and supplies from companies and individuals. Please let me know if this works.
http://www.medmissionaries.org/

[QUOTE=Beth Witten MSW ACSW;23078]If you live in Virginia (I assumed that from the Virginia Tech reference), you might try calling Medical Missionaries which is located in Manassas, VA at (703) 361-5116. From their website it appears that they accept medicines and supplies from companies and individuals. Please let me know if this works.
http://www.medmissionaries.org/[/QUOTE]

Again, thank you for your quick reply. I called Medical Missionaries, but they do mostly surgery and cannot accept the dialysis fluids since they have been delivered.

Again, thank you Beth, for your help and I will continue to search…

You are on the right track. I found a vocational training school in our area which is very grateful for the supplies and is even willing to pick them up. Since it is non-profit, they will give me a receipt for my income taxes. Also try local nursing schools.