Home Dialysis Central

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Anonymous Guest

Default whats the normal life expectancy of a dialysis patient

just wanted to know read it was not looking good for us about 5 years at the most do anyone have any info on this

Hi Terry,

If you look at the national statistics for the U.S., they don't look too good. But statistics do not apply to individuals. If you go to one of our other sites--Kidney School™ http://www.kidneyschool.org, you can read about Nancy, whose kidneys failed in 1966 when she was 19 years old. She's still doing terrific today, and is now on her 4th transplant after doing various types of home dialysis. People can and do live for decades with kidney failure--but it doesn't happen by accident.

How long you or someone you love will survive with kidney failure depends on a lot of factors, including:
    -- How old you are when your kidneys fail (the younger you are, the longer you are likely to live)
    -- What illness caused your kidney failure, and how your health is otherwise (people with many other serious illnesses are unlikely to live as long as people who are pretty healthy other than kidney failure)
    -- How well you take care of yourself (people who take an active role in their care and follow their treatment plans tend to do better and live longer than people who don't)
    -- How good your medical and dialysis care are

The latter is one of the reasons we started this site: we believe, based on all of the research that has been done to date--but most importantly based on how patients tell us they feel--that the more physiologic (like the human body) dialysis treatment is, the better patients will feel and the longer they will live. So, treatments that are done every day--like PD, or nearly every day--like short daily home hemo, or, even better, treatments that are longer--like nocturnal home hemo (done as many days per week as possible) will support a full, active, productive life much longer than three times per week in-center hemo, with fewer long-term complications.

None of us gets out of here alive. Please don't spend your time worrying about how you or your loved one may die sooner because of kidney failure--any of us could encounter an accident tomorrow. Instead, why not focus your energy on how to live as long and as well as possible with kidney disease? You just might surprise yourself.

No, no, no. The five year figure comes from extrapolating the average yearly mortalityn rate - always remember: Averages are made of extremes. The average mortality is above 20% a year for all people on dialysis. So if you take a group of 100 people starting dialysis and there is a 20% yearly mortality rate, then after 5 years fewer than 50 of the initial 100 people will remain alive.

However, there is no upper limit on how long someone starting dialysis today will live - I know someone who has been on dialysis continuously for over 34 years and another person who has had ESRD for nearly 40 years (she is on her forth transplant). I started dialysis in 1990, no one knows how long someone who started dialysis in 1990 will have; let alone how long someone who starts dialysis today will have. When you consider the healthier options that we have today - more frequent dialysis, especially more frequent nocturnal dialysis - there is no way to know what that means in regard to mortality.

You can live a long time while using dialysis to replace your kidney’s function but studies have shown that those who do best on dialysis are those who take an active role in their treatment. By coming here, to this web site, you have taken the first step. The next step is making healthy treatment decisions.

Terry - tell us more about the situation. Are you the one with diminished kidney function? Where are you in the process? This board is a great resource - just keep asking questions - ask us but more importantly ask questions of your renal care team.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle
    tracking industry news and trends, in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
    -------- -
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]-------- [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]
    NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]2days on/1day off, 30 Liters @ 250Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF28[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]
    Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
    [/FONT]

Default Re: whats the normal life expectancy of a dialysis patient

Quote Originally Posted by terry
    just wanted to know read it was not looking good for us about 5 years at the most do anyone have any info on this
    When first started dialysis at age seven in 1978 I was given a death date by my Dr. at that time, he said I would only make it to 10.......

This month I will be 36 years of age, and I must thank almighty GOD my savior......and the caring people around me. Because of them I am still here alive and well.

Life expectancy on dialysis is different for everyone and I must stress that we shouldn't put a number on people.....how would you like staff telling you that you will only live a number of certain years? :roll:

I must agree with Bill, those of who are very involved with our own health must be the ones who live long....
    Gus Castaneda
    Hemodialysis initial Start: 1978
    Home Hemodialysis: 11/2004 - Present
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org

Default whats the normal life expectanvy of a dialysis patient

Gus
    You are amazing! Whenever I read posts by yourself, Bill or Pierre I feel this old world of ours isn't so big and bad after all!
    Even though I live on the other side of the world it is great to know people support each other and give out such strength.
    Cheers
    beachy (Mel)
    FSGS 1992
    Hybrid Nocturnal Home hemo Sept 2005
    "Freni" Fresenius 4008 B
    Transplant from hubby,31st Oct,2008
    http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/Aus...lysis_Buddies/

Anonymous Guest

Default Re: whats the normal life expectanvy of a dialysis patient

Quote Originally Posted by beachy
    Gus
    You are amazing! Whenever I read posts by yourself, Bill or Pierre I feel this old world of ours isn't so big and bad after all!
    Even though I live on the other side of the world it is great to know people support each other and give out such strength.
    Cheers
    I totally agree!! 8) What I have learned from them, and others on message boards, has been a life saver for my husband and has probably added many high quality years to his life. And that's in addition to what their kind support has meant to me :!:

Terry

The bottom-line about these statistics is that they are heavily slanted by virtue of including many people who start dialysis already very sick. They aren't really very relevant for people who are relatively healthy other than having kidney failure. Plus, there's a time lag before statistics show improvements as the technology of dialysis treatment evolves (and I don't mean the machines so much as the medications which are available, and just better all round care. But we can certainly assume we are taking a positive step by choosing daily dialysis.

There are times we don't necessarily see things exactly the same way, but I think Gus and Bill are terrific.
    Pierre
    Now transplanted
    A year and a half on daily nocturnal hemo
    2-1/2 years on in-centre hemo

Anonymous Guest

Default 26 years + 4 months + 2 days ... and counting! :o)

I'm not usually the sort who posts anything anywhere (and who rarely steeps herself in anything patient-related!), but this is my first sojourn to this website and I just had a bit of a knee-jerk reaction and felt compelled to do it this time ... taking a tiny break at work, surfing around on the internet and happened upon it. In a nutshell: I'm a single female, a hemodialysis patient since August 1979 at age 22. Always in-center hemo (in four cities and three States of residence), no transplants. Always full-time employed. Always! I have a B.A. plus certification in a white-collar office profession in which I have maintained full-time employment throughout my hemodialysis patient career. Just so Terry (and whoever else might benefit from this disclosure) knows ... it can be done!

Anonymous Guest

Default Just so you know

The hour of my posts from work is this late because I dialyze early A.M. hours then pop home to change clothes and drive 20 miles to my office. I generally work a full eight hours or more beginning at 10:00-ish A.M. Lots to do since we've just come off of a three-day weekend!

Unregistered Guest

Default You are my hero, I wish I had your drive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I'm not usually the sort who posts anything anywhere (and who rarely steeps herself in anything patient-related!), but this is my first sojourn to this website and I just had a bit of a knee-jerk reaction and felt compelled to do it this time ... taking a tiny break at work, surfing around on the internet and happened upon it. In a nutshell: I'm a single female, a hemodialysis patient since August 1979 at age 22. Always in-center hemo (in four cities and three States of residence), no transplants. Always full-time employed. Always! I have a B.A. plus certification in a white-collar office profession in which I have maintained full-time employment throughout my hemodialysis patient career. Just so Terry (and whoever else might benefit from this disclosure) knows ... it can be done!
    You are my hero, I wish I had your drive!! I am a 27 year old female,, dianose at ae 22. For 5 years I ave been so lost, not knowin wat i was put on tis eart to do, iven this disease, its so ard, and to ear tat you are so stron and work everday....you have the life i want.