Bone and joint pain

There are a lot of articles that have been shared with us and we hope to read as many as we can get to. But for the time being, can anyone simply state which condtions are due to dialysis/kidney disease and what isn’t? Have been having a lot of problems lately, but some have come and gone. For ex., elbows were so sore could hardly turn over in bed. Then to our surprise, it totally went away about a month later. Today, experiencing a new area, shoulder pain. Not real bad, but haven’t had this previously.

It seems like problems as a result of kidney disease/dialysis can come and go. We wondered if we had amyloidosis problems due to hands that are stiff. But then, that too, only happens sometimes and then is clear.

The most common complaints on dilysis related illnesses is the joint/bone problems…i just fluctuates…sometimes your okay and sometimes your not…we easily get arthritis or swollen joints! Throughtout the years your hands and legs may become stiffer…shoulder pain is the most spoked about and is common, I have all the time…some days bad and some days okay…when I lift my arms up they hurt…

Gus

Did you always have joint and bone pain ? Or did it happen over time? I understand that you have been on dialysis for some time. For someone new to diaLysis when could one think that pain in joints or bones is from dialysis or some other problem? Like what if you had small problems with pain from the the type of work you might do?
thanks

My husband had alot of bone/joint pain to a point where he couldn’t walk properly. Have you ever had your parathryoid test done?

His PTH level was high, and has since had his parathyriods removed. It is amazing how much better he is. He has no joint pain, except the occasional knee pain ( because he has some arthritis there). He can now walk up and down the stairs without any problems. :slight_smile: it is amazing the improvement.

might be idea to have your PTH levels checked.
Queenie. :slight_smile:

Hi Queenie,
How high was your husband’s pth and was his phos. and cal. out of wack?

Kidney International advance online publication 12 July 2006; doi: 10.1038/sj.ki.5001666

Reversal of adynamic bone disease by lowering of dialysate calcium
A Haris1, D J Sherrard2 and G Hercz3

1Department of Nephrology, St Margit Hospital, Budapest, Hungary
2Department of Medicine, Veterans Administration Hospital and University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
3Division of Nephrology, Humber River Regional Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Correspondence: A Haris, Department of Nephrology, St Margit Hospital, 132 Becsi St, Budapest H-1032, Hungary. E-mail: agnesharis@hotmail.com

Received 21 July 2005; Revised 25 February 2006; Accepted 29 March 2006; Published online 12 July 2006.

Top of pageAbstract
Adynamic bone disease (ABD) is increasingly recognized, especially in dialysis patients treated with oral calcium carbonate, vitamin D supplements, or supraphysiological dialysate calcium. We undertook this study to assess the effect of lowering dialysate calcium on episodes of hypercalcemia, serum parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels as well as bone turnover. Fifty-one patients treated with peritoneal dialysis and biopsy-proven ABD were randomized to treatment with control calcium, 1.62 mM, or low calcium, 1.0 mM, dialysate calcium over a 16-month period. In the low dialysate calcium group, 14 patients completed the study. This group experienced a decrease in serum total and ionized calcium levels, and an 89% reduction in episodes of hypercalcemia, resulting in a 300% increase in serum PTH values, from 6.01.6 to 24.93.6 pM (P<0.0001). Bone formation rates, all initially suppressed, at 18.15.6 m2/mm2/day rose to 15959.4 m2/mm2/day (P<0>108 m2/mm2/day). In the control group, nine patients completed the study. Their PTH levels did not increase significantly, from 7.31.6 to 9.41.5 pM and bone formation rates did not change significantly either, from 13.37.1 to 40.911.9 m2/mm2/day. Lowering of peritoneal dialysate calcium reduced serum calcium levels and hypercalcemic episodes, which resulted in increased PTH levels and normalization of bone turnover in patients with ABD.

Keywords: renal osteodystrophy, adynamic bone disease, peritoneal dialysis

In my opinion, this study reports results from too few PD patients to be generalizable to the PD population much less the HD one. Of the 51 patients that started the study, only 23 completed it…way too few to be able to show whether differences are significant or not. This may provide enough interesting data to warrant funding for a much larger study, though.

There are many conditions related to renal failure. I think some of the most common are bone problems and heart problems. The best way of preventing these secondary problems I believe is to get the best possible dialysis you can, such as Nocturnal or short daily. If you can only access conventional dialysis, then all you can do is stick to the diet and fluid restrictions as best you can, and dont skip treatments or cut treatments short. If extra Dx is offered, take it!