Advocating for Dialysis at home with Nx Stage

I was interviewed today by Jessica Aspiras from Channel 10, WILX, News Lansing, Michigan in anticipation of Sunday’s Lansing National Kidney Foundation of Michigan’s Walk. I described my NxStage Machine and tactfully placed my DaVita at Home pillow on my lounger. I will be acquiring a copy which I will post once I get it. The segment will be airing tonight at 6:00 on Channel 10 after the first break for any of you in the Lansing vicinity.

It will be interesting to see the final copy.

Also, I wore my Nx Stage ball cap last week to NKFM’s Legislative Advoacy Day and explained the System One to my Legisaltor’s aide.

Finally, I also wore my Nx Stage ball cap to the NKFM’s Champions of Hope Dinner at MSU’s Kellogg Center. I sat next to the Fresinius Medical Director in Lansing and his wife and told them how wonderful life was with NxStage and DaVita at home.

Erich

That’s terrific, Erich, and congrats on exceeding your fundraising goal, too. Go you!

I’m still working on getting the video.

Kidney Disease
Reporter: Jessica Aspiras
Email Address: jessica.aspiras@wilx.con

“I dialyze six days a week, about two and a half to three hours each time.”
41-year-old Erich Ditschman, of East Lansing, has been performing his own dialysis for a year.
“We’re able to travel with it. Normally when you’re on dialysis you have to schedule with the dialysis center. This little unit comes with me and in my room.”
Back in high school, Ditschman was diagnosed with kidney disease. His kidney function was at a liveable 50-percent. But six years ago it dropped to full blown kidney failure.
“I all of a sudden noticed my shoes wouldn’t fit.”
“The toxin from the kidney goes in your blood. And one of the first [things] affected is the digestive system, and people start bloating,” says nephrologist Dr. Michael Hourani. According to Dr. Hourani, diabetics and those with high blood pressure must keep those diseases in check. Because they are the ones most susceptible to the silent illness.
“They start to have protein in the urine and that’s an early sign of kidney disease, and they won’t feel it. They won’t notice anything.”
A transplant or dialysis are the only treatments. And after two failed transplants, Erich is now on permanent dialysis.
“It’s what it is and you got to make the most of it,” says Ditschman.
During dialysis a patient’s entire blood supply is filtered several times through an artificial kidney. Then it’s returned back to their body.
“People live on dialysis for a long time. We have people on dialysis for 20-25 years,” says Dr. Hourani.
It’s hope for those battling the disease.

Congrats to you! Your famous now, hehe …and get that video!

I forgot to mention I also handed out Home Dialysis Central postcards. Erich

That’s awesome, Erich, thanks!!