Anyone ever get frustrated?

Keep posting those surfing pics, Bear…they really do it for me! The best therapy I’ve ever had is the awesome thrill of surfing. Even looking at pics gets me high!! I love every single thing about the beach life and the moment I get there I do not even remember that I am on dialysis–the smell of the ocean, heat of the sun, suntan lotion, playing in the sand, nibbling on snacks all day, cookouts, ppl in a happy spirit freely expressing themselves…I love it , I love it, I love it!!!

Having a special passion helps to take one’s mind off dialysis. What other passions do members have?

I feel the same way about racing bicycles. I would also love to have a small, fast sailboat.
Pierre

Pierre,
I took sailing lessons once for a day. After the instruction, we got to take small sailboats out 2 to a boat. I had a blast! It was an exilirating ride with full view of the whole lake and was truly one of the funnest things I’ve ever done. Definitely a simple pleasure.

I go for bicycles, too. I’d enjoy having a Recumbent.

I’ve never ridden one, but I would love to be able to try a recumbent too. Mine is a standard road bike. I find cycling is a very pleasant way to exercise.
Pierre

Last time I took a small cat’ out for a sail was in Fiji, about 4 years ago. THe resort guy was a bit skeptical “You sail before…it windy…you tip over it $30 to rescue” :slight_smile: “No worries mate!” says I. They had had to rescue some guy earlier in the day, but I was O.K. great fun…as was the parasailing “Oh, another fat man!” says the Fijian, adjusting the straps. THey are very direct :smiley: …I wish I could go again. Please Shangri-la Resorts - install haemo facilities in your wonderful locations!! :lol:

WE have an American immigrant in Bris. who rides a recumbent around the city…somehow he seems to look so much more vunerable than the other cyclists, next to the trucks & buses :shock:

There is a recumbent at my gym, there is always a fight to get on it, as it is such a cool, relaxing way to exercise. Not as much fun as being outside on one though. 8)

Hi Lizzie,

I met you while you were training. Youo had questions and concerns about sticking your fistula. I r ead where you are frustrated. I, too, get frustrated from time to time but I try to remember how much better I feel since I’m at home and not having to go to the dialysis center.

Also, I pile up stuff to do while dialyzing and If there is something I want to watch on TV that night, I dialyze then. I talk on the phone, do crossword puzzles, watch TV, manicure my nails, read a book/magazine, and yes, sometimes I doze off.

Another trick I use is to set up my machine earlier in the day so it’s ready for me later in the day. Just make sure to leave the machine on. That will save you lots of time when you want to get on and off! You’ll have to weigh yourself and get your vitals when you’re ready to get on the machine and then program it at that time, but the rest of the set up can be done for you.

Good Luck and hope to see you at clinic this summer!

Paulette

I get extremely frustrated too, its easy to do. I was on PD at your age, I didnt really get frustrated though, I guess I was lucky in that I didnt think much of it. Mum set everything up for me, and I went on the machine overnight. Although it did get quite painful and I hardly ever got any sleep due to the pain, itching, and restlessness.
Does anyone help you set up?
You are very brave to be doing this at home at your age! Good on you!
Try not to get too frustrated, if you are, take a breather for a few minutes…walk away from it, calm down a bit…then try again. I find it works for me.
I was on PD for 9 months at your age, and in that time I hardly ever went to school because I was just so tired all the time and didnt feel the best.
You’ll be right, HD is way better! Have you thought about nocturnal?