Bladder after Transplantation

Has anyone had a transplant after being on dialysis for many years run into any problems with their bladders?

Since the bladder is not being used while on dialysis, what happens long term? Has anyone had a transplant after being on dialysis for many years?

Im getting worked up for a transplant. I have been on dialysis for 13+ years and therefore am worried about my bladder. Will it still be functional after transplantation?

[QUOTE=asdfasdf;11059]Has anyone had a transplant after being on dialysis for many years run into any problems with their bladders?

Since the bladder is not being used while on dialysis, what happens long term? Has anyone had a transplant after being on dialysis for many years?

Im getting worked up for a transplant. I have been on dialysis for 13+ years and therefore am worried about my bladder. Will it still be functional after transplantation?[/QUOTE]

Hi

Are you saying that during this whole time you and your doctor or at least “health team” did not talk on this at all? I’m at a lost for words, I would have thought that your doctor and “health team” would have talk to you on this many times.
bobeleanor

[quote=asdfasdf;11059]Has anyone had a transplant after being on dialysis for many years run into any problems with their bladders?

Im getting worked up for a transplant. I have been on dialysis for 13+ years and therefore am worried about my bladder. Will it still be functional after transplantation?[/quote]

The bladder shrinks so tiny that its barlet there, so what they do is get part of your intestine to form a small pouch in substitute over the bladder…

When they evaluate you for a transplant, they will do testing of your bladder to see how well it works and how much urine it can hold. In addition to the procedure that Gus mentioned, I’ve known some dialysis patients whose bladders had shrunk who stretched their bladder using a technique of filling the bladder with increasing amounts of fluid over time. Your transplant team should be able to talk with you about the options and what would work best for you based on their evaluation of your bladder.

Hi Gus
You are 100% right. I had this done in 96 , there can be problems with this.

asdfasdf, , you should go in with any and all the questions you can find. Talk to your doctor and search the net before you do this, get a second doctor to go things. I understand that today they (doctor) may not need to use intestine. Do Your homework

I have to self cath due to problems from this and I get infections like would not want…
bobeleanor

[quote=bobeleanor;11064]Hi Gus
You are 100% right. I had this done in 96 , there can be problems with this.

What kind of problems did you encounter with this method?

asdfasdf, , you should go in with any and all the questions you can find. Talk to your doctor and search the net before you do this, get a second doctor to go things. I understand that today they (doctor) may not need to use intestine. Do Your homework

I have to self cath due to problems from this and I get infections like would not want…
bobeleanor[/quote]

Hi Gus

Are you talking to me bobeleanor. I said in my post that I now have to self catheter every day. I lost the use of urining on my own. And no many how clean you get the area (gloves etc)cathing that many times leads to infection. Also the use of intestine leads to problems. That part of the body was not intented for that use. That why I said to look into this .I’m no sure but I think I read some where doctor are useing something else. I’m not sure what but I will look it up, I may even have it bookmarked.

Plus Beth has a good idea, like I say go with information.
bobeleanor

Hi asdfasdf

here are some sites to look at,

http://www.med.wayne.edu/urology/DISEASES/bladderaug.html

bobeleanor

I intend to ask the physicians this. I just wanted to see if anyone knew the answers beforehand. Transplantation was not an option until recently - so it was not an issue.

Bobeleanor - thanks for the links

If anyone else has any info on this - it would be greatly appreciated.