Bowel Problems in PD Patient

Hi
Im a first time poster based in Europe. I am not a medical professional but posting this query here in case any of you as professionals can offer advise or help. I have also posted this in the Patient PD forum too

I hope the nature of this post will not offend anybody as its not a nice subject to talk about

My father has been on home dialysis - PD dialysis for about a year now
His overall dialysis treatment is going well. His weight is staying consistent week on week and the fluids are clear and his blood work results are good and medical team are happy with his progress

However He is having lot of problems with his bowel movements that is impacting on his quality of life both for himself and immeadiate family and carers

Whats happening is that his bowels stop movement for several consequtive days despite him taking 3 movicol powders daily and 2 senekot tablets each night. I mean nothing happens a all - no bbowel movement what so ever. He is suffereing for lot of trapped wind and has no appetite and is flatulating(passing wind) a lot. He feels that he needs to go to the toilet but when he does nothing happens or he just flatulates

After a couple of days his bowels will start moving again but it is diarrahera and very bad diarrphea and is fowl smelling

He will have diarraheara for about 1-2 days and then the cycle starts all over again - his bowels completely stop for a few days again and then start moving and then stop - its a vicious circle

Initially this was happening maybe about once every couple of weeks but it has now got to the stage when it is happening every week and is a endless cycle of no bowel movement for a few days and then diarrhoea for a few days and so on.

The medical team dont seem to have any answers or possible solutions to why this is happening saying they never heard of this before - which we find very strange

Has anyone ever experienced this or know what cuase of the problem could be or possible solutions
Thanks

Some medications cause constipation like pain killers, does he eat well and hav enough fibre in his diet also does he r (or is he aloud) to drink planty of fluids as this loosens motions. I find certain foods help my bowels move fresh roange juice is one thing, peanuts, sweet corn licquiice sweets. It it continues get him to see his doc its not natural to keep taking movin gmedication your system gets used to it!

Hi
Thanks for the reply
I will follow up regarding his medication as he is on lot of medication
He is not really eating well at present as has no appetitie but is trying to get fibre into his diet in form of brown bread, cereals, fruit and vegetables and juices etc
He is allows about 2 litre fluid allowance per day and is taking that

Thanks for the advise

Keep an eye on lab tests for potassium and phosphorus. Some of the best sources of fiber in fruits, vegetables, and grains may be high in potassium and/or phosphorus. You might want to talk with a renal dietitian about fiber supplements. One that I’ve heard of is called Unifiber. Also, most dialysis patients have to take stool softeners since they don’t get enough fiber or fluid to help keep the bowels moving like they should.

Kidney School has information about nutrition for people on dialysis (HD or PD) and those with diabetes or not:
http://www.kidneyschool.org

Here’s a 2002 newsletter article from Kidney Foundation in Alberta, Canada that contains information about fiber:
http://www.kidney.ab.ca/kitchen/updates/rnu-2002winter.pdf

How long has he been on PD? After 4 years there is a significant rise in the instance of Sclerosising Encapsulating Peritonitis.It can cause sever abdominal pain, vomiting, and constipatioin.

Thanks for the reply MEL52587s

He was diagnosed with Kidney failure in Oct 06 and has been on PD dialysis since then
His medical team are referring him to an intestional consultant to see if they can narrow down the problem as the PD Dialysis team dont think the problem is related to dialysis

I was on PD for 13 years and developed Sclerosing Encapsulating Peritonitis. This is something you dont want. Most Dr.s have no clue what it is let alone hear of it. I was lucky enouph that my Dr. was familiar with it and caught it early and started treatment. It is very painful living with and causes obstructions.