Buttonhole gage sizes

When forming bhs does a 15 ga sharp have to be used? Once the tunnels are formed can a bh take a 16 ga blunt, or do the blunts only come in 15 ga?

Actually, I wonder if all buttonhole needles are the same size and have green wings…

The AV sharps I used were 15gauge so are the buttonholes, so I speculate that they both should be the same size…

I have no idea. Both my sharps and buttonholes have always been 15 gauge.
Pierre

I think this article gives an answer to that and it seems that both should be the same size…you might want to read the article, it has some other useful information…

http://nephrologynursing.net/ce/expire2008/Article33299305.pdf

Ive been buttonholing from the start and I started off with I think 12g sharps when my fistula was new. I then moved up to 15g sharps then blunts. At one stage I was using 14g sharps as I was getting clotting problems. Blunts do come in 14g as well as 15g. Im not too sure what other sizes there are. I think “Bear” (another member here) uses 14g blunts.

Actually no, Amber…funnily enough Lucy rang me yesterday, in between Leslie coming to do the water and Frank coming with a delivery, to go thru how I was going. She asked if I had gone onto 14g yet & I said “no”.
Why would I want to? Pressures are fine (-60/140), so why make the holes bigger if you don’t need to? She did suggest it might help my cannulation probs tho…

Oh ok I’m sure it was you Bear, but this was ages back while I was in training. I was having problems with clotting before I could even prime the cannula, so i tried 14g and it helped. Im sure someone mentioned you were using them too, sharps that is. Might of been someone else.