Buttonholes - Wet or Dry Sticking

For those of you who use buttonholes, Before you stick the needle in, do you inject saline into the needles or do you dry stick? What are the positives and negatives of doing this.

Hi MM
Dry stick here. Then inject 8ml saline, although I noticed when I was visited a centre for holiday dialysis the other day they had the saline in the needles already. Didn’t make any difference that I could see.
Cheers

Hubby has buttonholes. A needle is dry v has heparin . No saline in either needle.

I use dry, never even put in saline. I do add the heparin to the venous but was trained to simply unclamp and let the blood flow to the end on both needles.

Cathy
home hemo 9/04

Dry sticking here…

Dry sticking and then saline to flush the lines since I am at risk of clots.

The new KDOQI guidelines recommend wet sticks again. Thats why the units are changing. Most units were wet sticks in the early 90’s and then went sry. The new guidelines are available on-line. I highly recommend people read them. They are a hugh motivator to the units.

Here is a link to the KDOQI Guidelines. You have to scroll down the page to see the Vascular Access Guidelines table of contents: http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/guideline_upHD_PD_VA/index.htm