Diet, labs, meds

If we just lost power we could run on our generator. If the storm was so severe that were asking people to evacuate; would have to decide if the basement would provide enough protection. If so would probably move machines down there. If that didn’t work follow diet and pray.

Yes Marty, good thoughts! We too have a generator, although not yet a transfer switch. When I initially signed up for home hemo we purchased a generator that could power whole house, dialysis machine included. Lin.

For those who have experienced nocturnal is it true there are no diet limitations? And I’ve heard there are no fluid limitations, but that is harder for me to grasp. Because as soon in a day as I drink about 4 cups of fluid, I am full to the brim, so even if I was on nocturnal I dont see how I could drink more.

It’s true there are very little if any diet and fluid restrictions. My father has no limits on what he eats and drinks. They only scenario I know of where a limit has been placed if someone really really drinks alot or eats a lot. Not your average human. You don’t have to drink more if your on nocturnal you can just drink as much as you want. I don’t think they really like someone taking off more than 10 lbs a treatment.

You can drink more if on nightly (daily) hemo… Some programs, such as the first program I signed up for only provided three nightly txs. per week and so the fluid restrictions would not really be different. Lin.

As others have said, when you’re dialyzing more frequently than 3 times a week, it may be possible to drink more. However, your doctor and dietitian would be the best sources of information about what is safe for you to drink based on the number of hours you dialyze and how often, how much kidney function you still have, how much you urinate, etc.

A study by Dr. Lindsay’s group in London, Ontario, Canada comparing 11 short daily, 12 long nocturnal and 22 conventional (3 times a week) hemodialysis patients. This is what they found about the daily and/or nocturnal patients (also called quotidian) vs. conventional hemo:

“RESULTS: Overall, the reduction in symptoms shows better fluid management because quotidian HD patients reported experiencing fewer and less severe cramping during dialysis, fewer headaches, less hypotension, fewer episodes of dizziness, decreased fluid restrictions, fewer blood pressure problems, decreased interdialytic weight gains, fewer episodes of shortness of breath, and a reduction in the sensation of easily feeling cold. HUI [Health Utilities Index survey] results showed that quotidian HD patients maintained functionality throughout the study period, whereas control patients showed a significant loss. Given the choice, all patients chose to remain on quotidian HD therapy after switching from conventional HD therapy. The Time Trade-Off analysis indicated that study patients were willing to trade far less time on quotidian HD therapy and much more time on conventional HD therapy in exchange for “perfect” health. CONCLUSION: As more studies focus on improved patient outcomes and appropriate funding mechanisms are established, more frequent home HD treatment should become a standard treatment option for patients with end-stage renal disease.”

If you want to read about the benefits of daily or nightly (also called quotidian dialysis), you can read abstracts on PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/. Just enter search terms like “fluid & nocturnal” like I did.