Does this make any sense?

Was talking to a fellow FSGSer (now successfully transplanted 4 years) about his time on dialysis. Like me , he is a keen swimmer, but found when on dialysis, he would gain up to a 1 kilogram after doing laps. He also said he weighed more after showers etc. Has anyone else noticed this,it has me worried?
Cheers

The skin only secretes water (sweat) - it does not absorb water.Does he shower/swim with his mouth open?

LOL Will ask him, just thought there might be some possibility that skin could absorb water also. Just looking for reason (other than overeating and drinking) why my weight is increasing (;

My guess is that you are well dialyzed and as a result you are enjoying a normal appetite. Since starting on high dose home hemo I have gone from an incenter low of 72KG (1999-2001) to 86.5 this summer (now 82.5). Add to that the fact that I am not as active as I have been in the past and it becomes clear why I am gaining weight.

I like to remind myself that carrying a couple extra pounds can be a good idea for we dialyzors. Here is a link to a recent article from the American Society of Nephrology conference that speaks to just this topic. I don’t agree with the conclusions - the advantage probably comes from being able to with stand setbacks - eg hospitalizations that result in periods of decreased appetite.

Bill, the skin may not absorb water, but it does absorb salt. Some tap water and some pools can be very high in salt. It is our largest organ and it does absorb and secrete many different things. I am not sure about not absorbing water, but I will take your word on that…
LSB

Hey LSB
The ocean is full of salt too! Yikes!!

[QUOTE=Leafsunbear;11264]Bill, the skin may not absorb water, but it does absorb salt. Some tap water and some pools can be very high in salt. It is our largest organ and it does absorb and secrete many different things. I am not sure about not absorbing water, but I will take your word on that…
LSB[/QUOTE]

I’d have to see some data to believe that skin can absorb salt into the body. Dead skin cells - on the hands and feet - can absorb water, that’s what causes wrinkling but those are dead cells and they will dry out once the water is gone. Post ocean swim I imagine that until the next shower salt is intermixed with that layer of dead cells but that is not quite absorbed.

Water always goes from the lower salt concentration to high salt concentration. So beachy that is why when you swim in the ocean your skin dries out because the ocean, which is saltier, draws water from your less salty body.

In general I think that the skin, our largest organ, keeps us pretty water tight. If the skin could absorb water you’d be able to sit in a muddy puddle to rehydrate.

Bill, I know that diabetics can’t get in salt water. Or better put a friend of mine that is Diabetic was told not to get in salt water because of his Diabetes. I am not totally sure why that was, but it is curious to me. I thought that salt tried to even it’s self out, ie salt would go from where there was more salt to where was less salt untill it evened out. I am not sure about that though. I thought sugar went from lowest to highest though. I don’t know because I am not going to take the time to back myself up right now. Maybe I will have some more time tomorrow and I will do some research and either proof or dissprove myself.
Good night,
LSB

Hey, Beachy, did he have a lot of hair? I bet I gain a pound after getting wet! :smiley:

Didn’t check him out that closely .Dori! (;

As Bill said, maybe I’m drinking the stuff too, I fancy I was a dolphin in a previous life, or maybe (if I keep putting on weight) a big whale?

Can you ask your friend who is diabetic why he was told not to get in saltwater. I’ve known diabetics who waded or swam in the ocean.