Does your neph wear a tie/wash hands?

BMJ 2006;332:442 (25 February), doi:10.1136/bmj.332.7539.442-b

Doctors are told to ditch “disease spreading” neckties
London Michael Day

Doctors should no longer wear ties on ward rounds, because they can spread disease, the BMA says in its new guidance on infections acquired in hospital.

At the launch of the report this week the BMA’s head of science and ethics, Vivienne Nathanson, said: “It’s up to individuals, but what we’re saying to doctors is that ties are a potential reservoir and they’re unnecessary. Doctors have to recognise the potential risk.”

Dr Nathanson also said that patients should feel free to ask doctors who were about to touch them whether they adopted strict hygiene standards. “There’s absolutely no reason why patients shouldn’t ask their doctor if they’ve washed their hands,” she said.

“It is unlikely that any health service will ever be completely free of hospital acquired infections, but there is a lot more that doctors, nurses, cleaners, patients, and their visitors could be doing to reduce . . . [Full text of this article]

My Nephrologist wears a tie like this…

…hehe, jokingly…

Seriously, he’s a casual dressed guy…no ties at all, but quite sporty dressed, on the go, seems he never gets tired…

I can see how a tie could accumulate a lot of germs. I have some nice ties that I’ve had for 20 years and which I still wear. I’ve never known anyone who gets his ties cleaned. Unless they have sentimental value, if they get stained, they get tossed. However, I can’t remember ever being rubbed by a doctor’s tie while being examined :slight_smile:
Pierre