ESRD and the public option

Buy insurance for major medical issues, not for something that is like a flat tire, you do not call the auto insurance for a flat tire, do you? If you have a fever, you pay. If you need dialysis, the insurance company pays, pretty darn simple. It is Jacka** backwards to have the medical insurance company to pay for all of these very minor claims and silly trips to the emergency room. If you need the physician for a small minor claim, you pay the bill, how difficult is it? I am sure that the physician will take your cash, so he or she does not have to deal with the stupid insurance company, pretty simple. I do not want to be bothered with the insurance company and neither does the physician, I wish they would get out of my face. If you think I am a fan of the insurance companies, guessss what? I do not trust any of them, none of them, none.

Oh my gosh, we agree again! So-called “managed care” has not really helped to bring down prices–or to do any better of a job with chronic disease than standard plans. Insurance is a bad model for routine healthcare. It makes sense only for catastrophic situations.

I don’t understand all of the political or ecomonic details of the changes they are trying to push through. I am afraid though…for my life. I look at the change through the eyes of a cancer patient. I have fought against some very low survivorship odds with metastatic bladder cancer. I truly believe I am alive still today because my insurance allowed every single ‘out-of-the-box’ option that I have used to fight this cancer. I am painfully aware that others fighting this disease have been denied their requests through other insurance companies or through the government. I am also aware that the reason I am still here is because I have received immediate treatments or diagnostics always. I have never had to wait the long delays that I know others have had to bear for their treatments with other insurance company red tape or governmental backlog. I am painfully aware that my insurance company approved many many courses of treatments that were way outside the ‘standard course of treatment’ for this disease. I thank God every day for the kind of insurance I have had during my entire battle with this disease for the past 15 years.

Now, for the first time, I am afraid for my life. Not because the survival statistics are low - but because I am afraid that my insurance which has enabled me to fight with every single weapon available to me is being threatened. I pray I will be allowed to continue to choose what is best for me. Up to this point, it has NOT been the ‘accepted standard of care’ for metastatic bladder cancer. I have been able to go way beyond that with my current insurance. I am afraid that I will be limited with the proposed changes…and die. As much as I want everyone to have access to medical care, I don’t want to sacrifice my own life in the process. I pray my fears are unfounded. God Bless us all.

It’s truly sad that so much lobbying on both sides have produced TV ads have have led so many people to not know what to believe about what is and what isn’t in the bill. If S. 1796 is passed by the Senate, there will be more debate to resolve differences beween that bill and HR 3200. I suspect there will be even more money spent on advertising to try to get people to contact their legislators to support or oppose the bill without really knowing what’s in it unless it’s published on Thomas Legislative Information on the Internet.

NDXUFan12, from what you’ve posted, you should be glad that among the compromises in S. 1796 insurance companies will be allowed to sell across state lines and there is no public option. You’re may not be happy if greater regulation of insurance plans is part of the final bill.

I know there will be provisions I’ll like and others I won’t. I’ll be happy if insurance companies have to pay 80-85 cents of every premium dollar and there aren’t caps on annual or lifetime benefits. Wendy, if those provisions are in the final bill, that should help more people get the level of care that you received instead of having to fight their insurance company every step of the way as some people I know have had to do.

As to whether health reform legislation will affect our coverage or costs, there never is a guarantee that insurance coverage will stay the same from year to year. Plans typically change benefits every year and historically premiums rise too. We’ll have to wait and see over time whether changes make things better or worse and I suspect the how that assessment comes out will be in the eye of the beholder.

[QUOTE=Wendy Ramsay;19005]I don’t understand all of the political or ecomonic details of the changes they are trying to push through. I am afraid though…for my life. I look at the change through the eyes of a cancer patient. I have fought against some very low survivorship odds with metastatic bladder cancer. I truly believe I am alive still today because my insurance allowed every single ‘out-of-the-box’ option that I have used to fight this cancer. I am painfully aware that others fighting this disease have been denied their requests through other insurance companies or through the government. I am also aware that the reason I am still here is because I have received immediate treatments or diagnostics always. I have never had to wait the long delays that I know others have had to bear for their treatments with other insurance company red tape or governmental backlog. I am painfully aware that my insurance company approved many many courses of treatments that were way outside the ‘standard course of treatment’ for this disease. I thank God every day for the kind of insurance I have had during my entire battle with this disease for the past 15 years.

Now, for the first time, I am afraid for my life. Not because the survival statistics are low - but because I am afraid that my insurance which has enabled me to fight with every single weapon available to me is being threatened. I pray I will be allowed to continue to choose what is best for me. Up to this point, it has NOT been the ‘accepted standard of care’ for metastatic bladder cancer. I have been able to go way beyond that with my current insurance. I am afraid that I will be limited with the proposed changes…and die. As much as I want everyone to have access to medical care, I don’t want to sacrifice my own life in the process. I pray my fears are unfounded. God Bless us all.[/QUOTE]

From the mouth of someone who actually has to live in the situation, not a bunch of theory. Where and from whom have we heard this from, any clues?

You want to vote for this health care bill and no one knows what is in the bill??? Talk about flying blind???

That’s what happened with the “Patriot Act”, too. I’m starting to get the feeling that legislators never really bother to read all those pesky hundreds of pages. They just spout off and vote, and we figure out the fallout later.

"I don’t understand all of the political or ecomonic details of the changes they are trying to push through. I am afraid though…for my life. I look at the change through the eyes of a cancer patient. I have fought against some very low survivorship odds with metastatic bladder cancer. I truly believe I am alive still today because my insurance allowed every single ‘out-of-the-box’ option that I have used to fight this cancer. I am painfully aware that others fighting this disease have been denied their requests through other insurance companies or through the government. I am also aware that the reason I am still here is because I have received immediate treatments or diagnostics always. I have never had to wait the long delays that I know others have had to bear for their treatments with other insurance company red tape or governmental backlog. I am painfully aware that my insurance company approved many many courses of treatments that were way outside the ‘standard course of treatment’ for this disease. I thank God every day for the kind of insurance I have had during my entire battle with this disease for the past 15 years.

Now, for the first time, I am afraid for my life. Not because the survival statistics are low - but because I am afraid that my insurance which has enabled me to fight with every single weapon available to me is being threatened. I pray I will be allowed to continue to choose what is best for me. Up to this point, it has NOT been the ‘accepted standard of care’ for metastatic bladder cancer. I have been able to go way beyond that with my current insurance. I am afraid that I will be limited with the proposed changes…and die. As much as I want everyone to have access to medical care, I don’t want to sacrifice my own life in the process. I pray my fears are unfounded. God Bless us all."

NDXUFan writes:
I have a question, is this the life that Ted Kennedy lived??? Did your Senator wait in line for his cancer treatments? Why did Chappaquiddick Ted deserve the best care in the world, while someone like Wendy has to wait in line? I know, you know more, you care more, and no one is more compassionate than the left, what a joke.

Red China has stated there is not enough money in the world to buy all of the U.S. debt, how will we finance this program, any ideas??? The slush funds such as TARP, the Democratic districts are receiving twice the amout of money as Republican districts. What happened to paying off the debt, what happened to the Social Security lock box??? The simple fact of the matter is that this bill is about control and spending taxpayer funds as the political elite sees fit. Obama, Fancy Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid are driving business out of the United States, resulting in lower tax revenues. High tax rates=less tax revenue. If Obama, Reid, and Pelosi are sooooo proud of what they have done, why are they constantly voting on this bill in the dead of night?

Again, if the situation is soooooo dire, why does this bill not take effect until 2013?

If this plan is so great, why is Obama, Fancy Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid exempt from the plan? Even the dialysis industry could learn something from this level of arrogance.

“Do as I say, not as I do.”

I deleted several posts, NDXUFAN12–it’s not cool to have multiple replies to yourself. If someone else responds and your post is relevant it can stay, but we can’t have post after post of just your articles that you’ve found.

This has been my point, time and again, insurance is for major medical issues. With health insurance, you are insuring against financial risk, you cannot insure your health, in other words, you cannot guarantee that there will not be a major health issue. Instead of just having one insurer, let us have 2,000 insurers. In addition, under this proposed plan, everyone will be forced to pay for abortions. If you disbelieve me, here is the link:

If this plan is so great, so wonderful, why are they hiding the details? As I listen to more and more of this debate, it sounds like some of the small amount of details that I have heard are unconstitutional, such as equal protection issues. I know this plan will be challenged in the courts. For example, Reid and Pelosi are trying to make it so that this can never be removed, that sounds unconstitutional to me. I thought Reid and Pelosi believed the Constitution was a living and breathing document? Under this plan, the letterhead of the insurance company will still be the same, but the government will be running the operation. What is the government going to do, run the entire country? Are we going to be told when we can and cannot use our air conditioners and heaters?

Again, if this plan is so compassionate and wonderful, why are not Obama, Fancy Nancy Pelosi, Reid and their families not subjected to this plan? Why in the world do they not have to wait for their cancer treatments and Wendy has to wait? What made these idiots more important than the average citizen? We simply do not have the money to indulge this man child in all of his wishful spending. Talk about people who live in fantasy land of delusion.

By the way, dialysis consumers who have private insurance are paying for their dialysis by working, payroll premium deductions, and lost wages. Medicare patients have paid taxes to receive their dialysis. To state or assert that dialysis patients are not paying the bill, at some point, is bunch of economic nonsense.

Mark

[QUOTE=Beth Witten MSW ACSW;19006]It’s truly sad that so much lobbying on both sides have produced TV ads have have led so many people to not know what to believe about what is and what isn’t in the bill. If S. 1796 is passed by the Senate, there will be more debate to resolve differences beween that bill and HR 3200. I suspect there will be even more money spent on advertising to try to get people to contact their legislators to support or oppose the bill without really knowing what’s in it unless it’s published on Thomas Legislative Information on the Internet.

NDXUFan12, from what you’ve posted, you should be glad that among the compromises in S. 1796 insurance companies will be allowed to sell across state lines and there is no public option. You’re may not be happy if greater regulation of insurance plans is part of the final bill.

I know there will be provisions I’ll like and others I won’t. I’ll be happy if insurance companies have to pay 80-85 cents of every premium dollar and there aren’t caps on annual or lifetime benefits. Wendy, if those provisions are in the final bill, that should help more people get the level of care that you received instead of having to fight their insurance company every step of the way as some people I know have had to do.

As to whether health reform legislation will affect our coverage or costs, there never is a guarantee that insurance coverage will stay the same from year to year. Plans typically change benefits every year and historically premiums rise too. We’ll have to wait and see over time whether changes make things better or worse and I suspect the how that assessment comes out will be in the eye of the beholder.[/QUOTE]

NDXUFan12 writes:
In general, coverage decisions will be made by the health care planning board or another public body. Right from the mouth of the horse.

Physicians For a National Health Program

Who do you think makes these decisions now? All too often, it’s NOT the doctor–it’s an insurance company manual, wielded by someone on the phone who’s had a few weeks of training.

Again, if this plan is so compassionate and wonderful, why are not Obama, Fancy Nancy Pelosi, Reid and their families not subjected to this plan?..What made these idiots more important than the average citizen? We simply do not have the money to indulge this man child in all of his wishful spending. Talk about people who live in fantasy land of delusion.
According to what I’ve heard, under the Senate bill, coverage would be provided to those who are eligible to take it by nonprofit insurance companies. The Office of Personnel Management would oversee those companies, just like it oversees the insurance companies that provide coverage to federal employees and our elected officials under the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan. Pelosi, Reid, and Obama are exempt from the plan because they’re insured under FEHBP. The idea is that those who have insurance keep it and the plan proposed in the Senate bill would be for people who don’t have health insurance.

If you’ve read the email circulating on the Internet that says that the Health Choices Commissioner will make coverage decisions for those that get the plan overseen by the OPM, it will make sure that insurance plans are complying with the regulations so far as the basic coverage they’re supposed to provide. Here’s the Pulitzer Prize winning St. Petersburg Times’ Politifact Truth-o-Meter article called “Health Choices Commissioner does not decide your health benefits” that grades the information in the chain email as a “Pants on Fire” lie:

Why in the world do they not have to wait for their cancer treatments and Wendy has to wait?
Read Wendy’s message again. What she said was:
I am also aware that the reason I am still here is because I have received immediate treatments or diagnostics always. I have never had to wait the long delays that I know others have had to bear for their treatments with other insurance company red tape or governmental backlog.

I don’t know where the notion of government backlog comes from. Anyone I’ve known or worked with who has received health care through Medicare has gotten treatment right away (or as right away as anyone else) by any hospital or any doctor in the U.S. that they’ve wanted to see.

When I mentioned that most patients don’t pay for dialysis, I meant out of pocket themselves. I’d be willing to bet that what people pay for premiums for employer plans or even premiums for Medicare and Medigap plans comes no where close to what those plans pay for dialysis care. And what is withheld from each paycheck for Medicare (1.45% of gross income per employee matched by the employer) is a drop in the bucket to what Medicare pays for dialysis and other healthcare needs of people with ESRD (around $70,000/year). Rather than questioning my knowledge of economics, be thankful that Nixon (yes, a Republican) signed the bill to extend Medicare coverage to ESRD otherwise, people would be paying that $120,000/year themselves or dying like most who didn’t have good insurance dide before Medicare covered dialysis.

According to the United States Renal Data System which tracks and reports data related to ESRD (www.usrds.org), the government thought that kidney failure was a rare disease and that only about 40,000 people a year would need treatment. In 2007 (the latest data year) over half a million people were receiving dialysis or had transplants and most receive it under government sponsored programs (Medicare, Medicaid, VA). The truth is that “life or death committees” decided who lived and who died before Medicare covered dialysis and the patients selected in those days were usually working age otherwise healthy males who were wealthy or had really good health insurance. People with diabetes and children weren’t offered dialysis. I know people who were selected for dialysis and are still living today to talk about what that experience was like. I don’t think anyone wants to go back to those days. And before you say it, I don’t believe for a minute that healthcare reform will make us do that.

That is another major contention that I have with insurance companies and the government. The physician and patient should be making decisions as a team, not the insurance company or the government. If the patient is paying the bill for the vast majority of medical care, the government and insurance company are out of the decision making process, as it should be, consumer and physician making the decisons, no one else. Now, if we eliminate all of the mandates and regulations, we will vastly decrease the cost for an appointment with the physician. If the consumer does not like what the physician is doing or disagrees, go to another physican, the government and the insurance company do not need to be involved. When the consumer is going to the physician, if they are paying the bill, the consumer is the boss, he or she who pays the bill, calls the tune. I want a system where the medical establishment is accountable to the consumer, not the government or the insurance company.

The nasty truth is that Medicare denies more claims than private insurance.

“According to the American Medical Association’s National Health Insurer Report Card for 2008 , the government’s health plan, Medicare, denied medical claims at nearly double the average for private insurers: Medicare denied 6.85% of claims. The highest private insurance denier was Aetna @ 6.8%, followed by Anthem Blue Cross @ 3.44, with an average denial rate of medical claims by private insurers of 3.88%
In its 2009 National Health Insurer Report Card, the AMA reports that Medicare denied only 4% of claims—a big improvement, but outpaced better still by the private insurers. The prior year’s high private denier, Aetna, reduced denials to 1.81%—an astounding 75% improvement—with similar declines by all other private insurers, to average only 2.79%.”

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2009/12/21/evil-insurance-companies/

If you think government is the way to go:

“A new report by the Treasury Department’s Inspector General for Tax Administration found that millions of people may have improperly received Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers from the IRS that could be used to fraudulently claim tax refunds.
TIGTA reviewed a sample of ITIN applications and found that almost 70 percent contained significant errors or raised concerns that should have prevented the issuance of an ITIN. The IRS estimates that it has issued more than 14 million ITINs as of December 2008.”

Here is what I want:

1. Massive Tax Cuts: If everyone having insurance is truly the main goal, this will guarantee that everyone who wants insurance will have it. Yet, I do not believe this is about insurance, this is about controlling every aspect of people’s lives, live and let live is out the window.
  2. Insurance sold across state lines
  3. Elimination of mandates and regulations: Individuals and families cannot afford the cost of an health insurance policy because of excessive taxation, regulations and mandates from politicans that have pushed insurance costs thru the roof. With the elimination of mandates and regulations, individuals with a chronic illness will be able to purchase insurance at a reasonable cost. In addition, the cost of medical care will decrease to a point taking insurance companies and the government out of the picture. It is my belief that government and corporate bureaucrats are worthless.
  4. Faith in the American Public: It is the belief of many in Government that the American people are a bunch of stupid fools. This is utter nonsense. The American public has lived with a system of competition, all of their lives. To say, believe, or imply that they could not deal with competition in the medical sector of our economy is intellectual arrogance. We also see this arrogrance in giving individuals the right to invest their Social Security money in the stock market. If you listen to certain individuals, they believe that the American people are just too stupid to invest their Social Security money in the stock market. Again, this is an issue of control, just as it is in the so-called “Health Reform.” The individuals who believe that the American public is too stupid to invest in the stock market, want to control the money exhorted thru Social Security taxes. In other words, they do not want people to be free and independent from Government. An individual who works at a minimum wage position, if they invest their Social Security taxes into the stock market, when they retire, they will be a millionaire. Now, I ask, would you rather receive a $700.00 a month check from the goverment or would you rather have a $1,000,000 stock account? I hear complaints about the stock market. If you invest in the Standard and Poor 500 and 499 companies make a profit and one company loses money(Enron-For example), guess what??? You and many other people have made a PROFIT, which truly a great thing, freedom and independence. We would not have to be concerned about the stock market going down, if we had low flat tax rates, like my 1 percent flat tax rate. My good friend, Former Governor of New York, Mario Cuomo gave the Mercedes Benz company a TAX ABATEMENT. Why, because Governor Cuomo wanted to make it easy for Mercedes Benz to make a profit. Now, why do we not make it easy for individuals and families and business to make a profit. The only country in the world that has a higher corporate tax than the United States is France, even Sweden has a lower corporate tax rate than the United States, 28 percent. If vesting in the stock market is sooooo risky and dangerous, why do Federal employees have a stock investment plan?
  5. Dialysis Patients Treated as Human Beings, not an assembly line or McDialysis:
    With Dialysis patients being able to purchase private insurance under my system, products like the Wearable, Artificial Kidney will flourish, allowing dialysis patients to have the same life as the individuals working in the clinic, eliminating control freak attitudes. We will eliminate their “Do as I say, Not as I do” attitudes. Until the WAK Kidney comes on the market, dialysis patients need to have Noctural dialysis or expanded treatments, this will become a reality with private insurance on a mass scale. If the people at the clinics care about the dialysis consumer, as they claim they do, let us have Nocturnal dialysis, so we can have the same life that you enjoy. With private insurance on a large scale, people who are forced to go to an In-Center dialysis clinic, because they have issues that make them unable to do dialysis at home, will be able to afford to have an R.N. to come to their home and perform Nocturnal dialysis in the comfort of their own home, imagine that, the dialysis consumer being catered to, instead of the other way around. This would eliminate binders and many medications(Dr. Agar). It is time for the suffering of dialysis patients to end. The technology is available to restore a dialysis patient to a normal life.

Mark

[QUOTE=Beth Witten MSW ACSW;19032]Again, if this plan is so compassionate and wonderful, why are not Obama, Fancy Nancy Pelosi, Reid and their families not subjected to this plan?..What made these idiots more important than the average citizen? We simply do not have the money to indulge this man child in all of his wishful spending. Talk about people who live in fantasy land of delusion.
According to what I’ve heard, under the Senate bill, coverage would be provided to those who are eligible to take it by nonprofit insurance companies. The Office of Personnel Management would oversee those companies, just like it oversees the insurance companies that provide coverage to federal employees and our elected officials under the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan. Pelosi, Reid, and Obama are exempt from the plan because they’re insured under FEHBP. The idea is that those who have insurance keep it and the plan proposed in the Senate bill would be for people who don’t have health insurance.

If you’ve read the email circulating on the Internet that says that the Health Choices Commissioner will make coverage decisions for those that get the plan overseen by the OPM, it will make sure that insurance plans are complying with the regulations so far as the basic coverage they’re supposed to provide. Here’s the Pulitzer Prize winning St. Petersburg Times’ Politifact Truth-o-Meter article called “Health Choices Commissioner does not decide your health benefits” that grades the information in the chain email as a “Pants on Fire” lie:

Why in the world do they not have to wait for their cancer treatments and Wendy has to wait?
Read Wendy’s message again. What she said was:
I am also aware that the reason I am still here is because I have received immediate treatments or diagnostics always. I have never had to wait the long delays that I know others have had to bear for their treatments with other insurance company red tape or governmental backlog.

I don’t know where the notion of government backlog comes from. Anyone I’ve known or worked with who has received health care through Medicare has gotten treatment right away (or as right away as anyone else) by any hospital or any doctor in the U.S. that they’ve wanted to see.

When I mentioned that most patients don’t pay for dialysis, I meant out of pocket themselves. I’d be willing to bet that what people pay for premiums for employer plans or even premiums for Medicare and Medigap plans comes no where close to what those plans pay for dialysis care. And what is withheld from each paycheck for Medicare (1.45% of gross income per employee matched by the employer) is a drop in the bucket to what Medicare pays for dialysis and other healthcare needs of people with ESRD (around $70,000/year). Rather than questioning my knowledge of economics, be thankful that Nixon (yes, a Republican) signed the bill to extend Medicare coverage to ESRD otherwise, people would be paying that $120,000/year themselves or dying like most who didn’t have good insurance dide before Medicare covered dialysis.

According to the United States Renal Data System which tracks and reports data related to ESRD (www.usrds.org), the government thought that kidney failure was a rare disease and that only about 40,000 people a year would need treatment. In 2007 (the latest data year) over half a million people were receiving dialysis or had transplants and most receive it under government sponsored programs (Medicare, Medicaid, VA). The truth is that “life or death committees” decided who lived and who died before Medicare covered dialysis and the patients selected in those days were usually working age otherwise healthy males who were wealthy or had really good health insurance. People with diabetes and children weren’t offered dialysis. I know people who were selected for dialysis and are still living today to talk about what that experience was like. I don’t think anyone wants to go back to those days. And before you say it, I don’t believe for a minute that healthcare reform will make us do that.[/QUOTE]

In case you have not noticed, in the current climate, health insurance companies are regulated to death. This is why people who are diabetes and on dialysis cannot obtain insurance, with over 2,000 mandates. Do you believe that more regulation will improve the plight of dialysis patients? Now, who is going to decide what treatments that the government, i.e. the taxpayer will insure? Will it be a health commissioner, a health board, a combination of the two? At some point, someone from the federal government will be making decisions on what they will or will not cover. Look at any other Federal program, thousands upon thousands of pages with regulations, regulations have been increasing year after year. If you like read the Federal Register, not very complex to figure out that Federal programs are loaded with regulations to the smallest detail. Obama and his crowd want to regulate the level of profit earned by the insurance companies. How do you believe that if a health insurance company is making a 2%-3% profit per year, a very small margin, that they will be able insure everyone who comes to them with a chronic illness? How do you add millions of people and cut costs, this is done by waiting lists and rationing. Basically, Obama and his cronies are going to “kill” the health insurance companies with the death of a thousand cuts. Then, what choice with the people have, if you guessed the Government, you would be correct. When people are forced into the government plan, this is when the control freaks who want to regulate every aspect of your life, will take over. Do you want a Big Mac, No, you are too fat. I need surgery, No, you cannot have it, you are a diabetic. I need more dialysis, No, we are not going to cover those extra treatments. Yes, you stated that Obama, Fancy Nancy, and Harry Reid are exempt from this mandate because they are in the Federal benefits program, yes, I have been well aware of that fact for years. So, after they force everyone else into a govenrment system, why should they be exempt from the system? Watch what they do, not what they say. I know, the rules are for us and not for them.

Another example of wonderful hypocrisy is New York Times Colummist Thomas Friedman, another big time member of the Left. Tom thought going to Copenhagen was a great thing and that the United States was in the Stone Age. Tom loves the planet so much that he bought a plane ticket and polluted the air from the United States to Copenhagen. Tom, if you love Copenhagen so much, do not let the door hit you on the way out. Oh that is right, Tom, you married into your wealth, you live on a wealthy estate with acres of land, you mean you do not live as you tell us to live, so hard to believe! I know your good friend Michael Moore has millions in corporate stocks and does not have any one on his staff who is African-American, more do as I say, not as I do. Well, Tom and Mike will not have to worry, they will have private treatment with their wealth, while the rest of the poor souls will be herded like cattle into the government plan.

The reason that Wendy has not seen anyone with Medicare denied treatment is because the private insurance plans are keeping the offices and the clinics afloat financially. Under a total govenrment system, clinics, hospital, and physician’s offices will go bankrupt. Yes, that is the problem with government planning, they thought only a certan amount of people would need dialysis, they tend not to be to forward in their thinking, private companies have to be to survive. Economically, Nixon was awful, If you had my system, you would not have to worry about people not having insurance.

Thank you for pointing me to John Stossel’s blog which sent me to the original AMA document for some information that Stossel didn’t mention. Medicare claims were denied because of these reasons: the patient had another insurance that should have been billed first (28.5%), the service wasn’t medically necessary (17.4%), the patient’s health insurance number and name didn’t match (10.1%), the claim needed a remark code which was missing to process (9.1%), the doctor billed for a service that isn’t covered during a routine physical or screening (7.0%), the patient didn’t have Medicare (6.4%), the patient was in Hospice which should have paid the claim (5.2%), other codes (16.1%). As a responsible taxpayer, I wouldn’t want Medicare to pay for people that didn’t have Medicare or for services that aren’t medically necessary or that doctors know aren’t covered. However, patients need to know that Medicare does have an appeals process and claims may be paid on appeal. Also, if a provider doesn’t ask a patient to sign an Advanced Beneficiary Notice, if Medicare doesn’t pay the claim, the provider cannot legally bill the patient for that bill.

Another thing in the original AMA document is that 97.53% of Medicare claims are paid at the contracted amount, which is higher than any of the other insurances. The closest is Humana (93.37%) and the worst is Coventry (71.90%).

Here’s the original data source:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/368/2009-nhirc-long.pdf

Insurance companies’ underwriting policies keep people who could cost more from obtaining health insurance, not government regulation. Government regulation sets requirements that dialysis clinics are supposed to meet. The thing that allows facilities to avoid doing things they’re supposed to do or to do things they’re not supposed to do is lack of funding to send surveyors to clinics more often.

You get hysterical about something that hasn’t happened - and it isn’t likely to happen. So where is your hysteria about the 18,000 people a year who are dying a year due to the lack of health insurance?

"The final IOM report, “Insuring America’s Health: Principles and Recommendations,” culminated three years of in-depth study about the effect lack of insurance has on individuals, families, communities and the country, Coleman said. Among other findings, the reports noted:

• 18,000 deaths a year can be attributed to a lack of health insurance"

http://www.ur.umich.edu/0304/Jan19_04/00.shtml

You seem rather selective.

And where are all the doctors, hospitals, and clinics going bankrupt in these other countries with terrible health care which is backed by their governments? And where are all the people dying in the streets?

These other countries look like they are doing just fine to me: