Florida Dialyisers

I know exactly what you mean about relearning to eat salty foods. I’m experiencing that right now. Every few days, I’m thinking of what to eat for lunch or supper, and suddenly, it dawns on me that, Eh! I can eat that now! :slight_smile:

Pierre

Does everyone who dialyzes longer or more often have low bp? I had not heard that with SDD or SND programs it is ok to increase sodium intake. What are you instructed on sodium intake?

Blood pressure control is one of the best documented benefits of longer and/or more frequent hemodialysis. Part of the more normal diet with those treatments is not having to have such a strict salt limit.

It’s kind of like it is with potassium. You can eat what people eat normally without having to worry about it. Yet, it wouldn’t be advisable to eat 10 bananas a day. It’s like that with salt too. I know everyone is different, but in my case, I have no restrictions at all. They just tell me if something is out of whack when I do my monthly bloodwork. So far, I’ve only been told to eat more, not less :slight_smile:

My blood pressure is normal for the first time in like 17 years! Your mileage may vary, of course.

Pierre

Believe me, after starting SDD or SND it’s okay to increase sodium…they say “Eat Chips!”…“eat sausages!” eat “hot dogs!”…eat “Vlasic pickels!” …eat all you want!..

However, your only instructed to eat more when your vitals and labs are VERY WELL so in my case it took 3 months for my blood pressure to stabilize to normal and after that it’s PARTY TIME! :wink:

Hmm… this is interesting about sodium. Of course, even non- kidney disease people are told to limit sodium. What is it like when you have not eaten salty, and other foods, for so long- do you re-acquire a taste for them?

Being on a dialysis machine for a very long time is a whole different story especially when the patient is in compliance of taking care. Most patients don’t take care and end up dying.

Having your own kidneys is not the same as daily Hemo nor Nocturnal, I don’t think so…high sodium diet on a normal person would be harder on the kidneys and heart than a person on daily dialysis…but still think if it’s over done like Pierre said then that’s no good…

However, the switch from in center 3x a week to either daily hemo or nocturnal will and I mean will break the barrier of a strict diet…

For example, a new trainee for Home Hemo in my center who just started has resulted in stopping 5 blood pressure medicines… 8)

So what’s that mean to you? Right, a bright forecast ahead…

As for living a long time with a strict diet and then trying to eat normally you’d end up with a bad taste for salty foods. Your mouth just says yuck!!..but hey, I gotta practice… :stuck_out_tongue: