FREE Webinar: Treatment Options & Informed Consent

Please join us for the next FREE Home Dialysis Central Webinar! To make a truly informed choice about a treatment option, you need information. Dr. Robert Lockridge, from Lynchburg, VA, will guide us in a discussion about dialysis options and informed consent. He wants to hear from you! We’re setting this up as a 90-minute session, because we think there’s a lot to talk about.

TUESDAY, August 25, 2009
– 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM (Pacific Time)
– 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM (Mountain Time)
– 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM (Central Time)
– 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM (Eastern Time)

– 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM WEDNESDAY - Western Australia
– 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM WEDNESDAY - Melbourne/Queensland/Sydney Australia

Please Click Here to Register and Receive Your Log-in Instructions: http://www.instantpresenter.com/PIID=E954DA8484

Win Door Prizes! Several companies who have listings in our Helpful Products Catalog (http://www.homedialysis.org/hpc/) have donated door prizes. Five lucky winners will be able to choose from:

ESBA LABORATORIES - Topicaine
FORECARE, INC. - DuoCare blood glucose & blood pressure monitor
GENESIS WORLDWIDE - Headsets
HEMA ASSISTANCE PRODUCTS - Hema Strap
MED ACTION PLAN - Pack-M-Ups for pills
SMITH BIO MEDICAL - Anacept skin and wound cleanser
THERAWORX - Theraworx foaming skin cleanser
VITAL REMEDY

• Kidney Assist dietary supplements
  • Dialysis dietary supplements
  • Vital4 Cholest dietary supplements
  • Protein Bars

What sort of questions can be put to Dr. Lockridge on this topic?

Dr. Lockridge will most probably talk about outcomes, the plus and minusesfor each modality, etc.

Should be a great webinar!! I plan to attend.

Dr;s and staff should all work to together to make an informed decision with all options put on the table and not the one that will make someone have a fatter wallet but rather what is best for the patient.

MM

Hi Jane,
He’s really interested in getting reactions to the info he presents, as well as your impressions of whether the info is scary vs. hopeful, when is the best time to teach people about options, who is best to do it, etc.

BTW, folks, if you tried this morning to register and the link didn’t work, hang in there–they’re fixing it. It’s not on our end.

Oops, hate to reply to myself, but the registration link is working again now. :slight_smile:

Ah thank you! :slight_smile:

Dori,

Another Great Webinar. I think it went very well and got many people thinking about the Informed Consent in their own life experiences. Hopefully they wil spread the message with their clinics and nephroogist.
Im hoping Dr. Lockridge can put on another webinar in the future…

///MM

Thanks, Mark! I think Dr. Lockridge enjoyed doing the session, and this is a topic he’s been thinking about for quite a while. It’s interesting how little crossover there is between fields, and how his experience with his late wife’s oncologist made him rethink how things are done in nephrology. I was really struck by how there has apparently been an ethical–and even a legal–obligation to tell people about ALL of their options, but this has NOT been happening in the U.S., and one of the main reasons people don’t do home therapies is that they never heard of them.

And, of course, we got confirmation that folks have been scared away from home treatments by people who either don’t know what they’re talking about or who have an ulterior motive for not wanting to “lose” someone to home. :frowning:

Anyway, I suspect we can get him to come back in the future. For folks who missed the session, we did record it and will put that up on the site and notify people here when it’s ready.

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;18411]Thanks, Mark! I think Dr. Lockridge enjoyed doing the session, and this is a topic he’s been thinking about for quite a while. It’s interesting how little crossover there is between fields, and how his experience with his late wife’s oncologist made him rethink how things are done in nephrology. I was really struck by how there has apparently been an ethical–and even a legal–obligation to tell people about ALL of their options, but this has NOT been happening in the U.S., and one of the main reasons people don’t do home therapies is that they never heard of them.

And, of course, we got confirmation that folks have been scared away from home treatments by people who either don’t know what they’re talking about or who have an ulterior motive for not wanting to “lose” someone to home. :frowning:

Anyway, I suspect we can get him to come back in the future. For folks who missed the session, we did record it and will put that up on the site and notify people here when it’s ready.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed it Dori but I think “all the options” for 35 years has meant telling people they could dialyze or refuse to dialyze. The big decision is whether or not to start dialysis at all; after that any modality info was presented as a lifestyle choice. The dreaded modality neutrality.