Frequently Asked Questions about Nocturnal Home Hemodialysis

The following FAQs were prepared by the staff of the Nocturnal Home Hemodialysis (NHHD) program in Toronto.
Patients have been involved in the Toronto program since 1994. Interest has been expressed by nephrologists from as far away as Australia, where a pilot program is scheduled to begin shortly.

http://www.renalweb.com/guest/lit/mwilliams/FAQs.htm

Richard C/O Jessie

Richard/Jessie, this post is fine here in the HD patients’ board, but I deleted it from the PD board, which is really just supposed to be about PD. If folks who are on PD want to learn about nocturnal, they can come to this board to do so.

Jesse, you might be interested in knowing it was Mike Williams who introduced me to nocturnal dialysis. He used to post on another dialysis board (that is now closed) about the difference it made to him. He and Dialysis Joe were my greatest source of information and encouragement at the time. The Rubin Center went to Toronto and saw their nocturnal program and the nocturnal patients. After the visit they were determined to offer to also. I can remember saying to him, it sounds to good to be true, no diet restriction, more energy etc. and he said to me I know but for me the change was dramatic.

[QUOTE=Country Girl;12093]Jesse, you might be interested in knowing it was Mike Williams who introduced me to nocturnal dialysis. He used to post on another dialysis board (that is now closed) about the difference it made to him. He and Dialysis Joe were my greatest source of information and encouragement at the time. The Rubin Center went to Toronto and saw their nocturnal program and the nocturnal patients. After the visit they were determined to offer to also. I can remember saying to him, it sounds to good to be true, no diet restriction, more energy etc. and he said to me I know but for me the change was dramatic.[/QUOTE] I can see how the change would be dramatic … you are on nocturnal ? Richard C/O Jessie

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;12092]Richard/Jessie, this post is fine here in the HD patients’ board, but I deleted it from the PD board, which is really just supposed to be about PD. If folks who are on PD want to learn about nocturnal, they can come to this board to do so.[/QUOTE] Gottcha …my mistake Richard C/O Jessie

Actually it’s my father who is the dialysis patient. I have been his partner on nocturnal for over 6 years. Nocturnal has been great for us. He does well at 82 and our days are free which is very important to me.

Marty

[QUOTE=Country Girl;12099]Actually it’s my father who is the dialysis patient. I have been his partner on nocturnal for over 6 years. Nocturnal has been great for us. He does well at 82 and our days are free which is very important to me.

Marty[/QUOTE] Wow did I ever get that all backwards… dad’s 82 going strong I hope… that’s amazing know doubt youv’e been a hell of a partner … I tip my hat … to both of you… sitting back here I can only imagine … Jessie needs to hear about this… soon as he get’s in… off playing his game.

Richard C/O Jessie

It’s pretty amazing to me some days also. I just couldn’t believe the change I saw in my dad just during the training for nocturnal and running 4 days a week at 5hrs. Then when we got home it was even better. All of his dialysis symptons disappeared RLS, not sleeping good, poor appetite, hypotension, mental confusion, fatigue for hrs. after treatments.

Ralph was on nocturnal for 2.5 years and went to Nxstage end of October.
We thought Ralph felt great on nocturnal but on Nxstage he is even better.
He does not gain the large amount of weigt each day. Most days it is under 1.5K some days not even 1K. The only thing we can figure out is that on the Freni we were using sodium profiling. We do not on the Nxstage. We also think that the Ultra pure water/dialysate helps as well.
We are doing the Nxstage nocturnally usually 8 hr a night 6 days a week.
Pat

[QUOTE=Country Girl;12105]It’s pretty amazing to me some days also. I just couldn’t believe the change I saw in my dad just during the training for nocturnal and running 4 days a week at 5hrs. Then when we got home it was even better. All of his dialysis symptons disappeared RLS, not sleeping good, poor appetite, hypotension, mental confusion, fatigue for hrs. after treatments.[/QUOTE]That’s what it’s all about …the Quality of Life… through the eyes of a spectator Iv’e been wathching on the sidelines for about 20 years now this extremely serious onesided dialysis game. I see one team(the providers ) making all the rules to suit thier needs . The Providers own the arena, tell the Zamboni drver when to Clean the ice, run the time clock, and prescribe thier own presciption if you take a penalty. All the while telling the audience (family members/loved ones) that it’s the “only way to play the game” Not so bad… hell before the game begins your given a programme (manual) with all thier rules and regulations. As part of the audiens looking through the manual in the options/choices section I notice that one key player/character is out of action, sidlelined … #1 Nocturnal / Home. Well now ! thinking to myself the ice level is really tilted ! This is just my own analogy, and of course the providers are essential for without them the game is over… But the other team (the dialyzor) needs to have all choices… all options… and all the benifits of superior therapy . As a spectator I see that to be nocturnal… for those who can… it is the far more superior and safer way of dilivering such therapy. That fact has been proven over and over for some 30 years now. Now that diabetes has been classified epedemic I do see changes coming faster… the providers have know other recourse … I see the number of people having to go on dialysis increasing at an alarming rate… but then again this has been coming for years now … all the warning signs and red flags are waving Hope we are prepared … Richard C/O Jessie

[QUOTE=Pat Colongione;12108]Ralph was on nocturnal for 2.5 years and went to Nxstage end of October.
We thought Ralph felt great on nocturnal but on Nxstage he is even better.
He does not gain the large amount of weigt each day. Most days it is under 1.5K some days not even 1K. The only thing we can figure out is that on the Freni we were using sodium profiling. We do not on the Nxstage. We also think that the Ultra pure water/dialysate helps as well.
We are doing the Nxstage nocturnally usually 8 hr a night 6 days a week.
Pat[/QUOTE] I can see why Ralph would be feeling better ! Must be a tremendous relief…
Keep hearing about Nxstage I’ve tried to ask if they are coming to Canada never a reply. Makes me wonder Just how many people out thier have no clue that nocturnal even exsist… myself I have to feel that the numbers are right off the map… and if they did know how many would want to switch over… WoW … the benifits of nocturnal can not continue to be ignored … and they are at least here in Canada… Jessie