Good dialysis

Hi Doc/Professor

You have a good points that has me wondering how well NxStage System One is preforming…
History of my Partners end stage renal disease…
She has been on dialysis for about 17 years… the first 10 years or so was PD with Baxter HomeChoice and doing it manually when traveling. Had a very bad infection in her stomach cavity and because of too much scar tissues could not have a new cathater installed to continue with PD. No choice but to go to in center Hemo-dialysis. After a few months of 3X/week we were offered a new modility NHHD (Nocturnal Home Hemo Dialysis). We were the first ones trained to do it at the center. So from Nov 2001 we were doing it at home on a 2008H Fresenius with a Baxter RO then a Zyza Tech RO. You would not believe how well things went… No more Hospital rooms, only in to replace her cathater… (Yes, she has a cathater in her chest.) in outpatient. Have been using the same cathater for about 3 years maybe 4… Just have problem with the clips becoming brittle and breaking… Her blood pressure meds were discontinued. no fluid or food restrictions, no phosphate binders, iron stores great… it was like she was like a normal person, Her blood work was exceptional…
She has been on the NxStage since Nov '06. Yes, we are doing nocturnal 7hr/6days/week. (same as when we were using the Fresenius)She feels about the same and her blood work is about the same as when she was on the Fresenius. But lately Her blood pressure is high and on blood pressure Meds again. Also now having to take phosphate binders after meals. Also had to get Iron shots. Don’t know if it’s the different dialysate that is causing this… Using Lactate in the NxStage verses Acid and Bicarb in the Fresenius. Working with her Dr and Clinic to try to figure why the blood pressure is high again…
That is the reasons why I think that NxStage System One, like you, is not preforming the best dialysis for my partner. Guess only time will tell. As far as portability the NxStage is Very useful for travelling. A bit heavy to move around but atleast it can travel with you verses getting treatments in centers at your destination… So the inconvience of making arrangements, and going in to the center with personel that don’t know you and how well they preform your treatments are things of the past. Just put the System One in my SUV and away we go… Also in case of an emergency (Power out for a few days… One should be able to get to a town 100 miles away and get your treatments in a Hotel that has power…) In the process of setting up a UPS and Gas Generator for emergencies.
As far as varring the treatments SDD and Nocturnal on the NxStage it is not a problem. We do this When we travel, While on vacation, or if we have plans to do things we will do SDD if we have a Dinner Party to attend and don’t want to skip that day. Have changed our day off whenever we need to…

HemoHelper

I totally agree with you brought it up before and got creamed people often dont know about the numbers and think that they feel well when they dont know they could feel better