Hair Loss

If this only common on the woman on dialysis? …I don’t see men talk about this…

Of all my years on dialysis I never had hair loss, only time was when I had a kidney transplant…

Can’t help much in this thread. I had already lost a lot of hair long before I started dialysis. I may even have gained some back since I started.
Pierre

Gus writes:

If this only common on the woman on dialysis? …I don’t see men talk about this…

It definitely is not just a female issue. I have seen many, many patients, both male and female, with serious hair loss even to the point of looking mangy. My hair has never gotten that bad, but I do know what it is to have quite a bit of shedding which is not normal.

Pierre writes:

Can’t help much in this thread. I had already lost a lot of hair long before I started dialysis. I may even have gained some back since I started

LOL, I was going to suggest a toupee until I read the rest of your sentence
:o

Well I can definitely now say that Clexane has made a big difference. My hair is back to pre dialysis thickness and it doesn’t feel drab and yukky like it did with Heparin. Quite a few people I know are using Clexane and the nurses here seem to be aware of the difference it makes to how your hair feels. They use Heparin usually as it is cheaper. I no longer am leaving a trail of lost hair in my wake! (Makes housework so much easier ) :wink:

Had to fine tune Clexane on Nocturnal as it is usually only given as a bolus dose on short runs. Over 8 hours it needs to be infused with saline and given slowly over 7 hours.

Dude, I am a guy, in Italy my name is a male name, anyway hair loss is common at some stages in dialysis, people begin to worry about it when it doesn’t stop like it was in my case. Good for you you have never had this problem!

I searched for hair loss and found this old thread. I have lost so much hair recently. I had chemo in 2006 and lost most of it then. It finally grew back and I enjoyed nice-looking hair for a while until the past few months. I’ve been on dialysis for 7 months. My protein is good. My iron is good. I take zinc supplements. I don’t think I have a thyroid problem.

My hair is terrible. After losing it during chemo and finally having nice hair again, this is really depressing to be going through it again. Has anyone had any success with turning their own hair loss around since this thread was posted?

thanks.

Since hair is protein, and we go on a limited protein diet prior to dialysis, maybe it’s a holdover from those days. Once on dialysis the protein should increase, as I’ve been told it’s one of the smallest molecules in the body and more easily removed during dialysis. Actually, you can do things to maximize hair growth. i know good nutrition and the m.gardson’s method helps hair growth.

I read a couple of posts about using clexane instead of heparin. Are the patients who used clexane from the US? It’s my understanding that clexane is not yet approved in the US for dialysis plus I was told it’s administered subcutaneously instead of IV. Is this accurate? I’m tired of my hair thinning and feeling and looking like old hay. I believe it’s related to heparin use and changes in the amount of prescribed heparin. I would love to try something else and see what happens.

yes, nutrition is extremely important and it can significantly affect hair in negative way.

Here’s a fact sheet on skin and hair problems on dialysis and things you can do when you have this problem. https://lifeoptions.org/assets/pdfs/SkinAndHair.pdf

thanks all, very rewarding