Heparin/epo /iron requirements for SDD/SND

When one goes from 3x in-center txs to 6x home txs how do the heparin/epo/iron requirements change?

It is different for each patient. Still need heparin (most), most use less or no epo (like me), and some need iron most don’t. I have a weird problem where I have non-anemic iron deficiency, meaning I am not anemic, my numbers are in the high normal or slightly above, but my iron sats are generally in the teens, meaning I have lots of red blood cells but they are not of high quality. They are constantly giving me iv iron, but I am one of the few I know of who get it.

Cathy

DUH… of course it changes,my doc lets me

[QUOTE=Cathy S;14765]It is different for each patient. Still need heparin (most), most use less or no epo (like me), and some need iron most don’t. I have a weird problem where I have non-anemic iron deficiency, meaning I am not anemic, my numbers are in the high normal or slightly above, but my iron sats are generally in the teens, meaning I have lots of red blood cells but they are not of high quality. They are constantly giving me iv iron, but I am one of the few I know of who get it.

Cathy[/QUOTE]

What is the reason why most doing SDD/ SND require less heparin/epo/ iron?

You mentioned IV iron- how is it given to you?

I don’t know exactly why daily patients need less epo/iron generally. It has to be that more dialysis works. I get my iron at my clinic, they don’t allow me to do it at home. They just did a huge iron load 6 vials in one week. I did my monthly blood draw yesterday, so should have some idea if it helped tomorrow.

Cathy

I meant how is it given to you- do you do txs there and get it IV or some other way?

No treatment just iv iron. Takes about 20 minutes to get two vials.

Cathy