Historical: 1969 Self-Care Video

Hey all, I hope you find this video interesting.

Filmed in 1969 this historic video demonstrates the principles of self dialysis using an AV fistula developed by Stanley Shaldon MD at the National Kidney center in London

Wow! That is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you found it interesting, actually that very same year I was born… :slight_smile:

That’s fascinating, Gus, thanks so much for finding and sharing this with us. It’s terrific that Dr. Shaldon is making these historic videos available to the world. I didn’t realize that some folks doing nocturnal home hemo in the '60s were self-dialyzing.

It’s also interesting that the short needles were introduced back then. Last year I talked to someone at the Medisystems booth–and they were very excited to be introducing shorter needles! What goes around comes around…

See, Bobeleanor–nocturnal home hemo is NOT new. It’s just BACK.

Nicely done video from way back then…very educational. Interesting that the doctor said the short needles were jabbed rather than threaded producing less pain. What does threaded mean exactly? I know my family member does not like regular needles jabbed as they tear through the tissue if introduced too fast. But with these short needles demonstrated in the video it seems to be a different story. Nice that buttonholes are a true advancement.

Here’s another great historical video based on the world’s first home patient to self dialyze at home…

Wow, that is an amazing vid and don’t you love the strirring music!

Gus, it is great to have you back posting again and I know you will have a speedy recovery from you hospital “trip”(:
Cheers

Gus, Thanks for sharing these videos. They are interesting. Glad to see you posting again, missed you. Hope your recovery is fast.

Marty

[quote=beachy;12625]Wow, that is an amazing vid and don’t you love the strirring music!

Gus, it is great to have you back posting again and I know you will have a speedy recovery from you hospital “trip”(:
Cheers[/quote]

[quote=Country Girl;12626]Gus, Thanks for sharing these videos. They are interesting. Glad to see you posting again, missed you. Hope your recovery is fast.

Marty[/quote]

Ah thanks both of you, I really am glad to be back again. Its been a slow tough recovery but am doing fairly well at it…