Home Dialysis Central Site Revision - We Need YOUR Input!

Dori, RSS is free, you don’t have to pay for it…I have it on my blogging site…look in the lower right hand corner and you will see my rss buttons…in other words, you can get news to your site from “Nephrology News Issues” but we can’t feed news from your website to our blog sites…

Podcasts is actually internet radio, can be live or recorded… many people have IPODS (iTunes - Apple) and/or other mobile media devices that have wireless net connection (WiFi)…everywhere you go in public there is free wireless internet…many resataurants and cafes have it…basicly, PODCASTS come to them without them having to look for a computer…its all possible with the RSS feeds Podcasts use…so when a user turns on their IPOD they see a list of alert messages of new Podcast shows…

Just to show an example on Podcast subscriptions…in this case CNN …

http://www.cnn.com/services/podcasting/

What would be really nice is if pressing ctl and scrolling the scroll bar on my mouse would change the view so I can enlargen the type and read the board more easily. This works on my school board at Career Step, and in MS Word, Excel, and many other programs, but for some reason most of my other bulletin boards I frequent do not have that option. I know I could switch to firefox and probably have that work for me, but firefox does not work in certain circumstances and so I removed it from my hd.

Hi Deb,

Any browser should allow you to make the type bigger. Try looking under “View.”

For some reason, Internet explorer does not work when you select Large font on a lot of websites, this being one of them where it does not work.

The new Beta version DOES work, but when I have that installed, some of my other software doesn’t work properly.

Apparently there is a setting that must be on to be able to enlarge the view.

Thanks anyway, :expressionless:

For some reason, Internet explorer does not work when you select Large font on a lot of websites, this being one of them where it does not work.

The new Beta version DOES work, but when I have that installed, some of my other software doesn’t work properly.

Apparently there is a setting that must be on to be able to enlarge the view.

Thanks anyway, :|[/quote]

Why not “FireFox” browser? I’ve tried the text featuer and works brilliant! …

As MonkeyKnits said in his/her email, Firefox works fine on some things and has problems with others. I’ve installed and uninstalled it twice when I encountered those problems. You might try the Windows feature that magnifies the type size.
Start>All Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>Magnifier

An alternative to Internet Explorer that I use is http://maxthon.com/ …its
cleaner, its lighter and best of all it uses the same engine that Internet Eplorer uses…another nice browser that I use is http://www.opera.com/

… Keep in mind that the internet technologies have not been standardized and everywhere you visit they will favor one for the other…that’s why its good to have a netscape compatible browser and of course Internet Explorer…now and then you will either need to use them both!

Have fun browsing! :smiley:

Yup, I give up. I downloaded and installed firefox again so I could more easily read this board. This is a GREAT board, by the way.

The main reason for even having IE is because Ebay doesn’t work properly with firefox, nor does an online secure ftp site I use sometimes. Also, when I c/p from mozilla, the colors go away ,but they don’t with IE. If not for those things I would chuck the microsoft crap altogether.

By the way Beth, if you looked at my signature, you would know I am FEMALE. There aren’t too many male Deb’s in the world hehe.

Cheers,

Hi y’all,

Gus wrote:
“For some reason, Internet explorer does not work when you select Large font on a lot of websites, this being one of them where it does not work.”
That’s not good–I often have to blow the type up to make it easier to read, and it would be extremely annoying if it didn’t work. We’ll see what we can do. The site is being completely redesigned to make navigation easier, and we want everyone to be able to read it!

Deb wrote:
“This is a GREAT board, by the way.”
Thanks, I’m so glad to hear that you like it! :smiley:

Once again, I’d say that this board is replaced with VBulletin… :wink: I have been using VBulletin on one of my websites and I can’t believe how happy I am that I made the swtich!! All the problems I had with PHPBB are all gone with VBulletin… :slight_smile: …all data is easily transferable from PHPBB to VBulletin!.. :slight_smile:

Btw, do you notice all the scattered/riddled html/bbcode tags all over the board? :?

Hi Folks

I have not read all the posts, but can you save a posts as a draft. I sometimes may start a post and get pull away. It would be nice to save the start and come back to finish.
bobeleanor :?:

That would be a nice feature! :slight_smile: Unless your okay with writing it offline and once done start a new post and paste what you wrote offline?

Sorry, Deb. I obviously wasn’t very observant. I was reading fast and totally overlooked your signature.

Hurray!! VBULLETIN!!

Hi Gus,

See, we do listen! Now, if I could only figure out the admin side… I guess I need a tutoring session when I’m back in the office.

laugh

Yes, Gus, vBulletin it is! After all the spam and ridiculousness, I decided that PHPBB was NOT up to snuff. They’ve been “working” on version 3 for at least that many years, and there are so many security issues with 2.x that 3 is consistently pushed to the back burner. Sometimes you DO get what you pay for :smiley:

Anyway, I will be tweaking the appearance of the message boards to look like the new version of Home Dialysis Central closer to the time the new site is ready to go live!

I’m working on the little tweaks today, fixing stuff up as I see problems. If anyone finds anything, please email me via the “Contact Us” link at the bottom of the page!

[quote=Brian Frick;10842]laugh

Yes, Gus, vBulletin it is! After all the spam and ridiculousness, I decided that PHPBB was NOT up to snuff. They’ve been “working” on version 3 for at least that many years, and there are so many security issues with 2.x that 3 is consistently pushed to the back burner. Sometimes you DO get what you pay for

Am quite excited for this move and its gonna be a relief to be able to sit back relaxed and not worry about how difficlult it use to be with PHPBB:D…it was a wise decision and for the better for the future of Home Dialysis Central…

Anyway, I will be tweaking the appearance of the message boards to look like the new version of Home Dialysis Central closer to the time the new site is ready to go live!

Woohoo! Can’t wait!

I’m working on the little tweaks today, fixing stuff up as I see problems. If anyone finds anything, please email me via the “Contact Us” link at the bottom of the page!

Absolutely, we’ll let you know of any problems, and/or errors…anyway, thanks alot for this! We the members greatly appreciate your service here!

[/quote]

My concern is with the website intro “Home Dialysis: It’s Your Choice.”

This wording makes it seem as if anyone can dialyze at home. This simply is not true.

I wish is were a matter of personal choice, but most times it is not.

For example, most ESRD patients are covered by Medicare or a Medicare HMO. The HMOs are very hesitant to finance home dialysis, even though it often is cheaper than in-center dialysis. Many daily home dialysis patients don’t use Epogen or blood-pressure meds and aren’t hospitalized all the time for other problems. This saves the HMO money, but the HMOs don’t consider these savings when evaluating the cost-effectiveness of home dialysis.

In my area alone, at least six patients were recently pushed back into in-center dialysis because of cost-cutting by HMOs.

Sometimes there isn’t a clinic in your area which offers home dialysis. Perhaps they only offer staff-assisted home HD, which isn’t covered by Medicare.

Medicare only pays for dialysis three (maybe 4) times per week. This usually prevents a patient from daily home dialysis, which requires five or six treatments per week.

NxStage has 700 home patients. Aksys has about a 100. There are some who use other modalities. But this is a tiny fraction of the 350,000 dialysis patients in the U.S. The goals of HomeDialysis.Org are admirable. But I think you need to be realistic too. In reality, clinics and insurance companies view home dialysis as a privilege, one which only seems to apply to a small percentage of patients.

Do all posters, both registered and unregistered, have to fill out the image verification section?