How about the daily activities while on PD

I have some doubts related to daily life while on PD. If anyone who is already on PD could help me get clarified –

1. Is it ok to sleep on tummy (face down).
  2. What if the exchange gets delayed by an hour or two.
  3. How easy is it to take a shower

Thanks

Shyam

Hi Shyam! I’m sure everyone is different, but I’ll tell you my experience. I’ve been on PD about 6 months now. 1) Sleeping is not that hard for me because I never slept on my stomach before. My exit site is about 3 inches off center, so I can sleep on both sides. Every once in a while I must roll over a little too much and kink the tubing and set off the alarm. But that’s only happened a few times. My guess would be that sleeping on your stomach is out. 2) Not sure what you mean by the exchange being delayed?? - Do you mean you start the cycler late or what? 3). I have no problem showering. I always wear a stickman belt, and that includes in the shower. I keep a small bandage over my exit site all the time, removing it only when I shower. So when I’m in the shower my cathether is held in place by the belt, and my exit site is uncovered. I wash it with soap and water every morning in the shower. Then I dry it carefully, put neosporin on it, a fresh bandage over it, and a clean stickman belt. So far this has worked fine for me with no problems. Hope this helps.

I’m not sure if your doing the cycler or manual style treatments ? If your doing the cycler then sleeping on your stomach may or may not interfer with fills and drains. I suggest that you give it a try. If your comfortable and the machine dosen’t alarm then everthing is fine. If you mean is it simply ok to sleep on your stomach then the answer is yes.
If your doing manuals there usually done evey 4-6 hours. This is depending on your Docs orders. Missing this every once in a while is not going to kill you, but in order to get the most out of your treatments you should do them as ordered.
Once your exit site is healed you should be able to shower normally. Just make sure after you have cleaned your exit site, to dry it throughly with a paper towel. Good luck
Rick

I am going on for surgery for PD on Monday and hopefully would have a good experience of it :).

Cheers

Shyam

I was on it for 4 years. I slept sometimes on my stomach but I wouldn’t at first until you feel more comfortable with having a catheter in your abdomen. Sometimes my exchanges were put off by an hour or two (I realize you are referring to CAPD and not the cycler called CCPD). It won’t hurt you. It is somewhat flexible. And it is very easy to take a shower once they tell you that you are allowed to once it heals. I was told I just can’t have a bath or swim at any beaches. Too polluted. But one thing I hated was just letting my tube just hang there. So I went to a medical supply store and got this mesh belt and I wear that in the shower. It makes me feel more comfortable since I was afraid of inadvertedly pulling it out :? Wish I had a stickman belt.

Hi there:

I’ve been on PD for two weeks now. Had the cathether put in on November 4, started full-time on November 21. (Didn’t like hemo) Until your exit site heals, I would recommend not sleeping on your stomach. You can delay your exchanges, as long as you do them within a reasonable time. You don’t have to be a slave to PD. Taking a shower is very easy after the PD nurse gives you the go-ahead to do so.

This is my shower routine: cleanse hands with anti-bacterial liquid soap, remove the existing exit site gauze, then cover the exit site with a 1.5" x 2.0" sterile pad, followed by covering that with a Clear-site window bandage, which is waterproof. You should be able to purchase these clear bandages at CVS or any other drug store. They’re also available online. Tape the cathether to your chest.

Shower entire body, then prior to removing your “shower bandage”, wash your hands with anti-bacterial liquid soap (you should keep a bottle in the shower, as well), then turn your back to the water flow and remove the shower bandage. Work up a lather in your hands with a small amount of anti-bacterial liquid soap and lightly cleanse around your exit site. Now face the water flow to rinse off. Immediately get out of the shower. Pat dry any excess water from your upper body which my run down to your exit site.

Once out of the shower, dry your exit site and the tubing with a sterile pad, wiping away from the site. Now take a betadine swab and gently wipe around the exit site. Leave the betadine on for a few seconds, then take another sterile pad and dry the exit site. Put on a new gauze. Dry off the rest of your body.

I know this sounds like a very lengthy procedure, but once you start doing it, it will all fall into place and takes about two minutes of your time.

Hope this helps and good luck with PD. You’ll really enjoy it!

I remember in 1990 when I used to use betadine. But then when I was on PD this time around they told me that it dries out the exit site so they don’t use it anymore. I live in Ontario Canada, but thought I would just mention that depending on the hospital you go through you could be told a different method of exit site care and it is important to do it exactly like taught. Yes, it is lengthly but worth the effort rather than end up with peritonitis (man was that ever painful when I got that!).

Here’s an abstract about a study related to catheter care by Dr. Beth Piraino, a nephrologist in the U.S. who has a procedure for PD catheter care that has led to a very low rate of infection at her dialysis clinic.
http://homedialysis.org/v1/research/articles/20050610.shtml