How do most people start on dialysis?

[quote=Leafsunbear;11579]quote>Just picture me rolling my eyes and shaking my head here. <Sigh> Clearly your pediatrician knew you’d run into problems–he warned your parents. Then it just somehow got lost over time, I suppose. This is exactly what is not supposed to happen, and I’m sorry that it did.<

LSB,

I got to tell you I didn’t read Dori’s post as you did. I’m sorry you found it negative. I read it as I believe Beth read it, that Dori was sorry to hear that your disease couldn’t be better followed and perhaps ESRD being put off for some time. I saw it as an empathetic post.

We need people like Dori and Beth who can be paid to look at the big picture. Sure we all have our own experiences but that is all that they are - our own experiences. Individually they are merely anectodal. “I saw this happen.” “She told me about this person.” “My experience is this.”

It is not until we step back and sample a large population of ESRD patients that we can begin to understand trends such as permacaths and infection rates, success rates at continuing work on various dialysis options, outcomes for PD versus HD, nocturnal HD versus 3x. I know you know all this. I’m guessing you read Dori’s post at a bad time. Lord knows you have had your share of them.

I’m thankful for the good work Dori and Beth are doing. I also understand that the only way to truly know ESRD is to live it, though compassionate intelligent people can certainly empathize with us as many do.

I did work for a while on PD doing three exchanges in my office and then cycling 7 hours at night. As I posted previously it was not enough to keep me functioning and eventually I had to stop working. Even now being on NxStage 6x week I still do not have the consistent energy and focus to go back to work. So if I were to look at my experience I could conclude that no one on dialysis can work. But, I know that isn’t the case because of anectodal information that I get from this website, in-center discussions as well as from research via Nephrology News which concludes that many people can work while on both types of dialysis.

Erich

Beth wrote:

LSB, I think you totally misread what Dori was trying to say when she said she was rolling her eyes and shaking her head. One of the problems with email or message boards is that it’s hard to know the intent that someone had when they typed what they typed. I’m sure she said this because this is how 40% of people end up in kidney failure with little or no preparation and she was upset that this happened to you because you didn’t get more follow up care. It sounds like you took what she said as meant negatively toward you. I’m sure she didn’t intend for you to think she thought you did anything wrong.

LSB, did you think I was shaking my head at you?!. Oh my gosh, it didn’t even occur to me that you might have thought that until Beth’s post. She’s right–I’m upset that you didn’t get the care and information you needed, so that even though you had prior warning, you still ended up an “urgent start” person. I’m really sorry if you thought that was aimed at you. It wasn’t.

Dori, I owe you a deeply felt apology. I totaly flew off the handle and I am truely sorry about that. This whole thread has brought some deep emotional scars I have. I missinterpreted(SP?) your post completely and I read into it some of my own negative feelings about the whole situation. I have had a very rough life and I have probably been 100% responsible for it in one way or another. I have been working on this for many years and at times I fail to remember my part in what has happened. When it all comes down to it I am at fault for not getting the proper care. This is true from many angles. I wasn’t able to do what was expected of me as a minor. Then as an amancipated youth I also failed at succeeding in anything I tried. Not because there were people keeping me down or oppressing me, which is how I would like to think it was. I just don’t have the self discipline to get much down or to fit in. Before I had full failure and ended up in a urgent care situation. I thought I had HIV because I had gotten pretty sick for a few months. WHen I went in to get tested I didn’t even think to mention that I had been diagnosed with kidney failure. I want to blame the doctor for telling me to forget about it, but really if you get sick whos responsibility is it to get checked up. I guess what really got me about your post was I felt you were attacking my mom. When she got the same info I got from the doctor. She did do research on her own and tried to get me help. We just hadn’t been on speaking terms for years back then. Since then we have come to understand a great deal about each other and I love her dearly. She really tried with me and I constantly got in the way of her efforts. She made mistakes and I really took it out on her for them. There is just alot of pain and guilt for me in where I have taken this thread. I am sorry bob, for going so far off topic here. I do really appreciate everyones patience with me though.
Thank you all for that and again my attack at you Dori was out of line and I am sorry for that.
LSB

And, see, my tendency is to completely exonerate you, and to be totally frustrated with a medical system that has zero continuity of care and doesn’t teach people how to be healthcare consumers. At 18, I can’t imagine why you would have thought “my kidneys are failing,” even with a faint glimmer from your past, especially if no-one ever told you what to look for (what symptoms you might have) and how often you should be checked. IMHO, you’re taking on too much blame for your healthcare.

Anyway, we both failed to communicate (darn that email!), so please don’t apologize, but do know that I’m on yourside, and on the side of everyone else who has to deal with this disease.

I’ll tell my story, as much as I post I don’t think I’ve told this.

I graduated from college in 1985 and spent the summer backpacking in the Cascades; moved to Seattle in September and began to interview for my first post college job. I had graduated with good grades with concurrent business degrees and had a good work history. Three or five interviews into the process I received word that my Dad had died suddenly of a heart attack - he was the senior executive at a meeting in Boston and appeared to fall asleep, no one had the guts to try to wake him.

I spent three weeks in Chicago for the funeral and its aftermath before deciding to return to Seattle by train at the end of October. In the ‘60s I had gone with my Dad to business meetings in New York by trains - my first real travel experience. Back then, in the ’60s/’70s I had to wear a tie every time I traveled, first by train then later in the ‘70s I use to have to wear a tie when I flew. I was a miniature businessman in training. Anyway I drank the train dry of scotch by the time I got back to Seattle. The very next morning I woke up with swollen ankles.

Now after all these years I think I had declining kidney function for about a year at least if not five (the initial trigger could be the abscessed appendix when I was 16) but at the time I just had swollen ankles, how bizarre I thought. I entered the medical system later that day after catching a movie with my college roommate - [strike]Predator[/strike] Commando- and drinking a few beers. For two and half years I rode a roller coaster of hope and despair, it seemed I always ended up on the wrong side of 9 to 1 odds.

I had good docs and bad. I tried to go around the world before turning back in Thailand after a 24 day bout of amoebic dysentery in Nepal. After two months of hard travel and three days in a coma my creatinine had gone from 4.1 to 3.3 but in the end I only had about a year until I needed a transplant or dialysis. In my mind dialysis never entered into the equation.

My oldest brother came out to Seattle in the summer of 1988 and the third week of July gave me one of his kidneys. It started right up but I had woken up during the operation and was told I caused a complication. They went back in two days later and stopped the bleeding but there was nerve damage and it was a year before I had any feeling in my right thigh and three years before I could walk somewhat normally - the nerve eventually grew back. My right thigh was noticeably smaller until about four years ago.

The kidney rejected after the second operation but after OKT3 “therapy” it settled down. I don’t know if they still use OKT3, when I took it gave me what felt like the flu in the process of saving the kidney. I remember one night when I had a fever and they had to use what I called the “anti blanket” (like a water blanket circulating cold water) to try to cool me down. It worked though and I went home.

For a time I followed my blood numbers like an over extended stock trader following the Dow. My creatinine bounced between 1 and 2. My right leg would buckle unless it was reinforced by me gripping my thigh, replacing my upper leg with my arm but at least I was home.

After a couple of biopsies I got my first explanation/introduction to FSGS. Still I just did not believe I was going on dialysis - I spent the next 22 months in denial, with a little travel mixed in. Even having the fistula placed in May of 1990 didn’t get my attention.

It was in September after my first dialysis treatment that I came to understand that, baring a medical advance, I would need dialysis for the duration. I started dialysis in the hospital (because that’s what they did in 1990, at least here in Seattle) my fistula was used because it had matured, a highly skilled nurse did the cannulation, my Nephrologist was there and I wasn’t deathly ill. I still produced about a liter of urine a day - I didn’t need much fluid removed that first year and I had some function into 1994.

After one or two runs in the hospital (I wish I had journaled then, these details are a bit fuzzy. It’s just been in the last couple days, after this thread started that I’ve gone over that period in my head). The brief hospital stay I began dialysis in the Northwest Kidney Centers Patient Education unit.

Back then all new dialyzors started incenter dialysis in a special unit adjacent to the Home Hemo/PD training units (now dialyzors start at one of three or four training units). The NKC Patient Education Unit features individual rooms and pretty much one on one care when you figure that members of the care team - Nephrologist, social worker, dietitian - stopped by each day. Also since NKC is the first dialysis provider in the world the staff were then and are now some of the most experienced in the world. They tried to talk to me about home (they being the staff including Dr. Chris Blagg) but I was not receptive at all. Usually NKC keeps people in the training unit for just three to six runs but they kept me there from September to December. I was an angry person at that point, not at all fun to be around.

But the staff were patient and let me be mad while trying to convince me to accommodate the situation. I don’t think you could design a better or more holistic process but it didn’t change how mad I was. However, I do not think my outcome would have been the same starting through today’s corporate provider. That’s what motivates me to advocate.

It was about 5 months later when I learned to put in my own needles after taking my first trip as a dialyzor. I mark those two events - traveling and self cannulating - as the first milestones along what has stretched to be a 16 year long road of comparably gentle terrain. I wish everyone could have the same start that I did but I doubt that will ever be the case.

[quote=Bill Peckham;11604]I’ll tell my story, as much as I post I don’t think I’ve told this.

I graduated from college in 1985 and spent the summer backpacking in the Cascades; moved to Seattle in September and began to interview for my first post college job. I had graduated with good grades with concurrent business degrees and had a good work history. Three or five interviews

Thank you, Bill. Erich

Hi Folks

I just to thank this board for being here, keep up the great work.

To all that posted thank you. This last couple of years have not been a cake walk. Without this board and all the good people who posted I would have had a much harder time making a go of it. So thanks to all
Bobeleanor