How do you Determine Amount of Dialysate Needed on NxStage

I realize it is ultimately up to the Dr’s to decide, but I was just wondering how you determine the amount of dialysate fluid needed/required for best results. Is there a formula that can be used to determine.
I am eventually going to be bumped up to 3 hours/ 6 days per week from 2.25 hours (eventually going on nocturnal). I use 15L. My weight is 50 kilos. My flow fraction is 31, dialysate flow rate is 6.6, blood flow is at 400 and I usually take off 1.4 kilos per treatment. My question is, Can I get 3 hours out of 15L or would I be required to hang another bag of dialysate? I know if I would lower the dialysate flow rate it would extend the treatment time, but im not sure to what extent it would affect the saturation.
Reading through the NxStage materials, I am well within the boundaries for using 15L.
I also see that the amount of Dialysate Fluid used for Nocturnal varies in this forum. Some people use more, and some use less.
Any info on this would be greatly apprectiated. Again, I know that it is up to my Dr. and I to make the decision. Im just wondering how much fluid everyone is using and how its determined.

thanks

[quote=MiracleMan;14047]I realize it is ultimately up to the Dr’s to decide, but I was just wondering how you determine the amount of dialysate fluid needed/required for best results. Is there a formula that can be used to determine.
I am eventually going to be bumped up to 3 hours/ 6 days per week from 2.25 hours (eventually going on nocturnal). I use 15L. My weight is 50 kilos. My flow fraction is 31, dialysate flow rate is 6.6, blood flow is at 400 and I usually take off 1.4 kilos per treatment. My question is, Can I get 3 hours out of 15L or would I be required to hang another bag of dialysate? I know if I would lower the dialysate flow rate it would extend the treatment time, but im not sure to what extent it would affect the saturation.
Reading through the NxStage materials, I am well within the boundaries for using 15L.
I also see that the amount of Dialysate Fluid used for Nocturnal varies in this forum. Some people use more, and some use less.
Any info on this would be greatly apprectiated. Again, I know that it is up to my Dr. and I to make the decision. Im just wondering how much fluid everyone is using and how its determined.

thanks[/quote]

First of all, welcome!
Your Nxstage prescription is just about the same as mine. I use 15liters and have been doing 2.5 - 3hours with just 15liters. The Nxstage Cycler adjusts itself to accomodate extra time. For example, if I’d want to dialyze longer all I would do is rediuce the dialysate flow rate to about 5.5…you need to check the small green LCD screen to see ammount of treatment time.

Gus,

Thanks for the info. May I ask how your potassium and phosphorus are for the time period you are on the treatments? These are my main issues. Do you watch your diet much? No matter how much I watch, I still tend to run high potassium and phosphorus.

thanks again…

[quote=MiracleMan;14053]Gus,

Thanks for the info. May I ask how your potassium and phosphorus are for the time period you are on the treatments?

My potassium and phosphorous levels are normal. Before ever starting short-daily I was taking Renagel(binders)…today that’s a thing of the past.

These are my main issues. Do you watch your diet much?
[B]
Compared to in-center dialysis I can say there is about 30% improvement for me which means I can eat extra on what I wasn’t able to eat before. For example, before I was able to only east 1/2 orange, 1/2 bean burrito per day. Now I can have a whole orange and a whole burrito per day. I can also have more milk and cheese products.

If you just started using Nxstage, just a few months then you won’t see major changes until maybe over a year of use, that includes normal blood pressure. It takes time to adjust to the daily therapy and try not to miss treatment.[/B]

No matter how much I watch, I still tend to run high potassium and phosphorus.
thanks again

What does your dietician/nutritionist say about your high level?

…[/quote]