Is you dialysate Cool?

For once, too much information, Pierre and Gus! :lol:
I pin my lines to the side of bed sheet with enough slack so i can roll over easily. Works well for me. If I had them clamped to a sleeve or something I would be afraid of lying on them.

To answer Jane’s question about getting too hot, I do what Gus and Pierre do and/or turn the air con or ceiling fan on. 8)

For once, too much information, Pierre and Gus! :lol:

Hahaha, well hey…home sweet home…who’s gonna see? :stuck_out_tongue:

I pin my lines to the side of bed sheet with enough slack so i can roll over easily. Works well for me. If I had them clamped to a sleeve or something I would be afraid of lying on them.

To answer Jane’s question about getting too hot, I do what Gus and Pierre do and/or turn the air con or ceiling fan on. 8)

Using air-conditioner here is way too costly… :frowning:

[/quote]

Beachy, how on earth is there enough slack if you pin it to the bedsheets? If I did that I wouldnt be able to move lol Im in a single bed so its pretty squashy anyway, but I just coil them up, pin them to my shoulder, and use one bit of tape to stick them down near the cannulas. Theres not much slack, only just enough to lay on either side with my arm rested on a pillow.

Hi Amba
Fresenius Bloodlines seem to be nice and long. There seems to be heaps of room to move and even get up and walk about. We raised the bed so my arm is level with the base of Freni’s bood pump. Will measure them next time.
Would be nice if they were as long as PD lines, then could probably make it to the fridge! 8)

Oh I see. Theres not much length on the gambro, just enough to stretch to turn the light off if I unclip them. I havent got an adjustable bed, so every time the machine alarms I have to sit up out of my comfy sleep which can be a pain if you were going flat!

They don’t want us to clip or tape the bloodlines to anything, in the program here. I just leave them free to move. There’s nothing that restricts them anyway. The thinking is that under some conditions, fixing them on the bed could cause a needle to pull out.
Pierre

Pierre, do you mean the only thing holding the needles/lines is the tape that goes over the needles??? I would think that would be making it more of a risk of pulling the needles out. I clip the lines to my nightie on my shoulder, I coil them around, tape the coiled bit onto my arm, then pull the lines up to clip them on my shoulder. Its a bit hard to explain, but it basically stops the lines pulling directly on the needles. The lines either pull on the clip, or on the bit of tape holding the lines onto my arm. Theres no pulling of the tape that tapes the needles in.

I have seen about half dozen taping styles in-center as staff come from different parts of the country and were trained differently. I’ve always wondered which style is best.

Hi Amba.

No, I don’t mean that. It’s very secure. Everybody’s fistula and needle line arrangement seems to be a little individual, and so it’s hard to explain.

Basically, both my needles lines come straigth down from my upper arm needle sites. The needles are each taped down with a Tegaderm patch. Then, at the wrist, up until recently, I used to make a cuff around my wrist with a folded 4x4 gauze, and then tape each bloodline onto that with plastic tape. More recently, I’ve replaced that with a short length of #7 burn net. I poke a hole through it for my thumb. I hold the lines in the crease of my thumb as is commonly done, and then I simply slip the burn net over my hand and wrist, over the bloodlines which are already in my hand. This holds the lines very securely all night, and it’s not uncomfortable in any way. The burn net is also folded over to hold the little leak alarm box. Then the lines go straight to the machine - no tapes of any kind between my arm and the machine.

Pierre

There is no way my needles are coming out! I have a lower arm fistula which I guess presents a whole different movement and sleeping scenario and have it taped very securely. My needles are about as close together as allowed and are very close to middle of lower arm.I then have my special sleeve/ bandage thingy over that which I even use on short runs (I call this my “security blanket”), then lines taped to that!
I found when I didn’t have the lines clamped about halfway to the side of the bed, once I had doona or blanket over me I felt lines where being dragged. The clamp seems to prevent this and for me I needed all this to feel secure enough to relax, move and finally get some sleep after (what seemed like ) many months of experimenting.

I think it is great that we all do things differently and can take ideas from each other to make our own situations better. 8)

I’m sure your system works well, Beachy. Like I said, each fistula/needle configuration calls for some creativity :slight_smile:

An interesting thing I found out at my recent in-centre treatment is that they no longer rely only on the standard taping with paper tape, because it’s too easy for it to become unstuck. They now start with a split strip of plastic tape around and over the needle, before they put the paper tape on.

Twice in-centre I had a venous needle pull out. Whew! What a mess! The first time, the bloodline caught somewhere in the chair as I decided to recline the chair. Instant pull out.

The second time, the paper tape became unstuck from my skin around the edges, but then stuck very firmly on my blanket. When I moved the blanket, the needle went with it!

You should see how fast the blood comes out of there.

Pierre