Just started fistula

hi,
I’m Dannylee from st.pete florida and just started using my fistula. I am cannulating
myself and am having a hard time with the venous, i am ok with the arterial but infiltrate
the venous, i have twice.
i’ve only been on dialysis for a year and a half and still have my catheter in.
since this is my first time on, i am not used to all the terms and symbols, so please be patient with me. any input on how to keep from infritrating myself would help alot. thanks

you need to get button holes that will stop that forever

[quote=dannylee;14482]hi,
I’m Dannylee from st.pete florida and just started using my fistula. I am cannulating
myself and am having a hard time with the venous, i am ok with the arterial but infiltrate
the venous, i have twice.
i’ve only been on dialysis for a year and a half and still have my catheter in.
since this is my first time on, i am not used to all the terms and symbols, so please be patient with me. any input on how to keep from infritrating myself would help alot. thanks[/quote]

Hi Dannylee, welcome!
Can you feel the needle on the venous side and/or do you move alot? Does is happen during dialysis or soon as you get the needle in? Why not ask for buttonholes?

i’m currently starting the buttonholes, but still manage to infiltrate.

i’m doing the buttonholes now and i try not to move and i feel the pain as soon as i start the blood flow rate. i am on the nxstage machine so it sure lets you know. i stop treatment right away and hook up the venous to my catheter to finish my treatment. maybe it just takes practice, but man what a way to learn!