Kidney Care Quality and Improvement Act of 2005

Hi Folks

I’m sure some of you have seen this ,but what if anything do you think it might mean to the dialysis world if anything?

bobeleanor :?:

I think it is significant because it represents a change in thinking. In the past the idea of charging different premiums based on income was rejected because people (AARP I think) want to believe that Medicare is earned insurance not an entitlement like welfare or Medicaid. This same issue is part of the Social Security reform debate.

If it is an earned benefit then it would be distributed without looking at income but if people receive more than they pay for - which is true for these programs - then I think basing a person’s fee on their income is fair. However, this policy shift implies more than just increased Premiums so I would expect this shift to be challenged.

1298 is up to 171 cosponsors which going in I thought 170 some cosponsors would be enough on the House side to get the Bill or at least important elements of the Bill passed. It could still happen if Congress takes up the physician fee issue. I’m reading that Congress might (they almost have to) work on Medicare physician fees in the lame duck session after the elections in November.

Keep pushing. We’re almost there. More Senate support would help of course but additional Republican House support is as important.

Tim Murphy Representative of the PA 18th is one of the three newest cosponsors. bobeleanor is that someone you contacted?