Left ventricular dysfunction

Hi,

I did a Echo Cardiogram yesterday on the advice of my doctor to diagnose a cough and breathlessness I’ve been having for a week or so.

Few things from the report: Left Ventricular Dysfunction (EF 40%) and global hypokinesia of LV.

I’m going to discuss this with my nephrologist tomorrow but was wondering if anyone knew what this meant.

A little background: Male 31, Renal Failure in July 97, on in center hemodialysis till Dec 98, Tx Dec 98, PD from April 99, In center HD from Sep 2005, Nocturnal home hemo from May 2006.

Thanks
Kamal

[quote=kamalshah20;12653]Hi,

I did a Echo Cardiogram yesterday on the advice of my doctor to diagnose a cough and breathlessness I’ve been having for a week or so.

Few things from the report: Left Ventricular Dysfunction (EF 40%) and global hypokinesia of LV.

I’m going to discuss this with my nephrologist tomorrow but was wondering if anyone knew what this meant.

A little background: Male 31, Renal Failure in July 97, on in center hemodialysis till Dec 98, Tx Dec 98, PD from April 99, In center HD from Sep 2005, Nocturnal home hemo from May 2006.

Thanks
Kamal[/quote]

To better understand ejection fraction, http://www.chfpatients.com/faq/ef.htm

Hypokinesia means that there is diminished movement.

Thanks so much Billable. The link was really useful.

I discussed this with my nephrologist, gastroenterologist and a a cardiologist. The consensus is to not take interferon for 2 weeks and let the blood counts improve. They feel the cardiac problem is of a more ‘urgent’ nature. I’ve been started on some cardiac drugs too.

They say they will review after 2 weeks and decide on the further course.