Leg swell

Hi:
My son have been on pd last 2 1/2 yrs ago, he is 21 years old, he has been doing fine till last December 2004, he got infection and hospitalized, before Christmas his previous doctor released him from hospital and stated that there is NO MORE INFECTION , released him with NO ANTIBIOTIC medication, so 1st week of January 2005, he was hospitalized again to treat his infection, after he was discharged, the dialysis center advised us that we should change the doctor because since the very first time last two and a half years ago, the director from D/Center told us to change the doctor, but the doctor is my sister’s classmate from the same medical college, we thought, he is good enough, to cut the story short, we changed the doctor in early February 2005, she is real smart and popular doctor, but my son capd process every day is not that good like 2003 and 2004, now he is having some water retainment and have a leg swell, his blood pressure is not that high (at this time his doctor is on vacation) is there anyone have a same problem and gone through, please advise us ASAP will be very appreciate and thank you so much. MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Jimmy Lwin

First off - you should be in contact with the dialysis nurse, especially if your son is swelling and having weight gain. Dialysis nurses are available to all PD patients 24/7 - call NOW. If the doctor is on vacation, there will be another physician to cover his patients. This should be looked into IMMEDIATELY - Good luck!