Need Advice for my Husband

My husband is going to see the Dr. for a consult to put the catheter in next week. I have questions and hope for some answers. He just found out last week that he’s got to go on dialysis. We are going to do home Peri dialysis, and after he found out he started feeling sick, vomiting sometimes, feeling dizzy and there’s pain in his joints. The ER here in our little town said it was the toxins causing the problems. When he gets on dialysis (peri) will he feel better? Can I give him some hope, he feels awful and has had to come home from work 3 times in a week. He’s not a chronically sick person and will work even when feeling puny but this is really getting him down. Thanks for your help :frowning:

Hi Suzi,

I’ve personally never heard of joint pain being caused by uremic toxins, but the nausea, vomiting, and dizziness could certainly be. If his kidney failure is the cause of those symptoms, then starting his PD should make him feel much better, usually within a matter of weeks–possibly less with PD than with in-center hemo, since it’s a continuous treatment that will keep working to clean his blood.

If your husband’s symptoms are interfering with his job, he may want to see about taking a temporary leave–rather than quitting and losing his insurance and income. Please feel free to write back if you have specific questions about how to keep a job with kidney failure–this is a topic we’re very interested in and we may be able to help you.

As far as having hope–check out the stories on our site (http://www.homedialysis.org/v1/profiles/). We’ve got folks who have used all of the different types of treatment, including PD, and who are having good lives. The way your husband feels right now–being almost ready to start–is likely the worst he’ll feel. It should get much better from here.

p.s. - If his joint pain doesn’t go away after he starts treatment, I strongly suggest that he go back to the doctor. It may be entirely unrelated to his kidney problems.

Suzi-
PD (or even HD) will make a world of difference in how your husband feels. I have been doing PD for 7 months now and prior to that I was on hemodialysis. I love the freedom that the PD has given me, (home hemo is not an option in my area, but I probably wouldn’t go with it even if it were) and I feel so much better. I still work full time, play with the grandchildren, and am active in several orginizations. I’m not saying I feel 100% all of the time - but most of the time, I’m in the high 80-90% & that is very manageable. I’ve learned that I really need to listen to my body-once you learn this, everything else falls in place.

Dialysis is not a death sentence - It’s a LIFE sentence. Without dialysis, those of us with ESRD would not have a life. So - - - learn the process with your husband, including how to start his dialysis for him & give him the emotional support he will need. Hang in there - if you need to talk, we’re here! [/img]

Hello Suzi,

Two weeks ago, I was in severe distress from uremia. I could’nt drive, work, or form logical thoughts. My nephrologist ordered me to the ER, and the next morning the radiologist inserted a Tessio (?) catheter into my Jugular vein. I was immediately brought to Dialysis where I had my first treatment. I’ll admit that the dialysis took a lot out of me, but the next morning I felt like a new man - mentally and physically. I have an appointment tomorrow with a surgeon for initial consult on a peritoneal catheter, and I hope to have the surgery before Christmas. After a month or so, I should be able to begin PD. Tell your husband to not wait for the PD catheter to heal - go have a Tessio inserted and get on hemo until he’s ready for PD. I guarantee that he won’t regret it. Best of luck to you both.

Whitey

If it’s possible for your husband to get a PD catheter without having to have a hemodialysis catheter, that’s the best way to go. Obviously if it’s necessary to have an HD catheter because emergency dialysis is needed, your husband should get an HD catheter. However, they are prone to clotting and infection. It’s also possible that having a catheter can cause damage to blood vessels. Damaged blood vessels to the arm may make it impossible to place a fistula or graft in that arm if one is needed in the future.

No matter what kind of access your husband has, it’s extremely important that the surgeon who places it has lots of experience. As with anything else, the more experience the surgeon has, the more likely it is that your husband’s dialysis access will work well for him.