New Portable Dialysis Machine

If your interested finding out more please visit my site below and look at the picture gallery of photos…if possible, try checking whether your able to see it in person in your area…

Behind my head, hmm was wanting to make a downloadable video of me setting up my machine and perhaps dialyzing on it…geez, have to think about it as it’s my private life on the net! LOL!..

:roll:

Boy, haven’t things changed around here,in just a couple of years!
Cheers

I’ve just stumbled upon this old thread, and I’m glad that the NxStage has spread the way it has (I’m quite happy to be sitting next to one right now). That original article was back in 2004, so I wonder what ever happened to the “Home Dialysis Plus” machine.

Cathy,

My partner is with Wellbound (Milpitas) and she is on Nocturnal… Was using a Fresenius and have switched to NxStage and still on Nocturnal. Have been on NHHD for about a year on the NxStage… as far as a way to deliver Heparin while we run we have been using a Medex Inc (Medfusion Syringe Infusion Pump Model 2001). WORKS great…

HemoHelper

[QUOTE=Anonymous;779]Interesting Gus, I spoke with NxStage a couple of months ago and they said they weren’t doing any nocturnal studies yet because they don’t have any way to deliver the heparin, but that they were working on it. I wonder what they have come up with. I had requested a NxStage but was told it wasn’t available for nocturnal (I’m with the same provider you are with, only in San Jose).

Cathy[/QUOTE]

That machine is in development, and they even have a website now! http://www.homedialysisplus.com/.

I hope they will soon make a portable dialysis machine available in Canada. Nxstage is not available here and they have no plans to make Nxstage available here.

I couldn’t agree more. I used to live in Canada and one of the few things that’s keeping me from returning is that I would have to give up portable hemodialysis. There is the option of switching to PD (which I may have to do anyway if I can’t get a safe, reliable access for hemo-I’m on my third attempt at a permanent access in less than a year), but I just prefer daily/nightly hemodialysis. As for the HD+, I looked over their website and if they can get that thing perfected and on the market, that would quickly make even NxStage obsolete. I’m amazed at how tiny that dialyzer is. I’m glad I responded to this ancient thread, otherwise I may have never come across that website.

I saw your message on the PD for patients board and wanted to ask more about your third attempt at getting permanent hemo access being unsuccessful.
– Have you had vein mapping to find out where the best site for your dialysis access should be. There are
– What kind of access have they tried (fistula or graft); sounds like they’re talking about a catheter but haven’t done that yet
– What locations have tried to put the vascular access?
– Have you used the same surgeon every time?
– Does your surgeon know about the materials available through the Fistula First program? There are tools and tips about ways to increase success in access placement and longevity there
http://www.fistulafirst.org
– Are you doing your own needle sticks and do you use the buttonhole or ladder technique to stick your access?
– Have you had hematology studies to see if you need adjustment in your heparin because of a clotting issue with your body?
– Has your doctor recently evaluated your dry weight? If you take off too much, it can lower your BP and cause your access to clot.
– Have you read module 8 on Kidney School (http://www.kidneyschool.org) for information about vascular access?

Not trying to be nosy – just trying to troubleshoot where the problem might be.

Hi y’all,

Home Dialysis Plus is still trucking along!

Portland, Ore., Oct. 28, 2008 - Home Dialysis Plus, Ltd. (HD+), a developer of advanced home dialysis devices, announces Dr. Julie Wrazel, to take position as Chief Technical Officer. As CTO she will lead the development of a portable, cost-effective hemodialysis system that will allow patients to experience the benefits of nightly nocturnal dialysis in their own homes.

Dr. Wrazel joins HD+ after 29 years of employment with Hewlett-Packard. As a key R&D and Process Development Manager within HP’s inkjet printing business, Dr. Wrazel was specifically responsible for the development of the micro-fluidic devices and achieving the exponential production growth rates demanded by a successful supplies business.

“Taking a key position with a company that has the potential to impact the lives of millions of people is not only a tremendous opportunity, but a responsibility I look forward to,” says Wrazel. “It’s quite exciting to be applying firsthand knowledge of micro-fluidics technologies to this new medical application.”

The HD+ system utilizes recently licensed HP inkjet and smart memory chip technologies, along with HD+ patented MECS (Micro-scale Energy and Chemical Systems) technologies for use in the dialyzer and water pasteurization system.

“With multiple unique micro-scale systems within the HD+ system, Dr. Wrazel’s micro-fluidics and high volume manufacturing expertise will prove to be of critical benefit not only to our company, but ultimately to the patients who use the device.” Says Michael Baker, HD+ CEO, “We are fortunate to have such an experienced, high caliber professional on our team.”

As a result of these combined advanced technologies within the HD+ system, dialysis patients are expected to experience a slower, gentler night time treatment which is a closer simulation of the body’s natural biological processes. This will improve patients’ dialysis results and dramatically reduce patients’ post-treatment recovery time. The ability to sleep during treatment will allow for improved flexibility and more day to day lifestyle control.

The technology also makes it possible to create a significantly smaller and patient friendly dialysis machine. The reduced size will make portability a viable option for patients as the HD+ system will be easy to use at home or anywhere else that has access to tap water. For health care providers, the dialysis machine will make it simple and less expensive to train patients and their care helpers to safely perform home treatments.

About Home Dialysis Plus, Ltd. (HD+)

Home Dialysis Plus, Ltd. (HD+) is focused on the advancement of home hemodialysis treatment for patients suffering from End Stage Renal Disease. Via the use of patented MECS technology, the company aims to produce home treatment options that will offer improved health outcomes through ultra patient-friendly, portable hemodialysis machines. For more information please visit Home Dialysis Plus, Ltd.

About Dr. Julie Wrazel

After a 29 year history with HP, Dr. Wrazel is an expert in micro-fluidic design and processes with a critical understanding of high volume manufacturing and supply chain management. Cultivating her technical and managerial responsibilities within the growth of HP’s inkjet printer business, Dr. Wrazel has held multiple executive positions including Strategic Alliance Manager for key partnerships within the Imaging and Printing Group. Holding a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin and an MS in the Management of Innovation, Dr. Wrazel is a sought after speaker for workshops and programs on the subject of alliance management and open innovation.

This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HD+ and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. HD+ assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.

Editorial Contact:

Brenda Edin Home Dialysis Plus, Ltd. 503.528.6296 brenda@homedialysisplus.com

[QUOTE=Gus;764]Anybody read this?..

http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/medizin_gesundheit/bericht-25367.html[/QUOTE]

dear sir,

kindly quote a portable dialysis machine for a patient required for home dialysis. please also provide on net brochure specifications

regards

gulam saki
2220-millbourne road
edmonton AB.ca
T6k3c5

We don’t sell dialysis machines, Gulam, we only tell people about them. Unfortunately, they are ONLY for sale in the United States right now.

If you want to find a dialysis machine (not portable) in another country, try here on our site: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/links/. These four countries sell machines all over the world.

Hi Doris,

We live in Canada but own property in Palm Springs, California where we park our RV for a few months a year. My husband had a kidney transplant for 20 years that has now bit the dust and we are learning home hemo as he did not qualify for PD which is portable, sigh.

We still really want to go to California every year? We are training on a Gambro AK95S machine and would love to buy a Nxstage while in the states, but do not know where to start on this process.

Can you help us figure this all out? or if it is completely impossible for us to travel in the US any longer until the Nxstage machine is available in Canada? We are not getting any help at all from Gambro in the US or Canada, sigh.

Sharlene

Hi Sharlene,

I can’t speak for NxStage (you can contact them through their website: http://www.nxstage.com), but my understanding is that they do not sell their machines to individuals. I’m not certain that they sell them at all.

In the U.S., dialysis machines for home use are handled through dialysis centers. It is the center’s responsibility to provide the machine and training. In the case of NxStage, I believe that the machines are leased. However, the financial side of exactly how that works is not something we’ve been privy to, and folks who understand this better are more than welcome to correct me on this.

How is your healthcare handled by your Province when you spend part of your year in Canada and part in the U.S.? I believe that to obtain the use of a NxStage machine, you would need to be cared for by a U.S. dialysis clinic in or near Palm Springs. I don’t know how motivated that clinic would be to work with you if they only receive revenues from your husband’s care for a few months out of the year–or whether they would allow you to use the machine when you’re back in Canada. Yours is an extremely complex situation due to the payment issues, and I’m not surprised that Gambro is having a hard time helping you with it.

Maybe Beth will have something to add?

Most traveling patients who do home hemodialysis and do not use the NxStage machine do “transient” dialysis in a clinic. Some clinics offer longer or more frequent dialysis in-center (up to 5 days/week for “daily” or 3 nights a week for “nocturnal”).

I’d check to see if your provincial health plan will cover dialysis in the U.S. or look into travel health insurance. I don’t know anything and can’t vouch for this travel health plan that claims it will pay for pre-existing conditions, including dialysis:
http://www.globaldialysis.com/BizCat.asp?Catid=78