Nighttime PD Cycler

I have a question (or two!) for anyone out there on the nighttime cycler. My dad may be considered as a candidate for cycler use and is concerned that he would not be able to sleep on his side for fear of kinking the catheter. Also, he often has leg cramps and foot cramps at night, which he gets up to walk off, and wonders if that would still be possible with the cycler.

His dr’s biggest concern is that putting him on the cycler might not be positive since he is also suffering from hypotension and cannot take the full dose of medrodine due to side effects. The dr. will not try any other medication, so he is kind of stuck with that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eileen

[QUOTE=greeneyesinva;16250]I have a question (or two!) for anyone out there on the nighttime cycler. My dad may be considered as a candidate for cycler use and is concerned that he would not be able to sleep on his side for fear of kinking the catheter. Also, he often has leg cramps and foot cramps at night, which he gets up to walk off, and wonders if that would still be possible with the cycler.

His dr’s biggest concern is that putting him on the cycler might not be positive since he is also suffering from hypotension and cannot take the full dose of medrodine due to side effects. The dr. will not try any other medication, so he is kind of stuck with that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eileen[/QUOTE]
Hello Eileen I have been reading your forums about your dad. I have been on a cycler for about three months. I sleep on my side and haven’t had too many problems once in a while it wakes me up for a kink . but not too often. I am on the fresineus newton IQ. yes he can get up and walk a little bit around the bed… If I have to get up and go to the bath room I I disconnect for about ten minutes. then reconnect. good luck. Teri

Teri,

Thank you SOOO much for your reply. I had hoped to have something to tell my dad when I phoned him tonight.

Are the dialysate bags that you use with the cycler 2 liter bags? Someone told my dad that the bags used for the cycler are bigger and not as easy to handle as the ones he uses for his regular PD. I am hoping to hear back from Fresenius about the new cycler to be released early next month as my dad’s dr. is waiting for that one before he starts my dad on the cycler.

Also, have you ever had any BP issues while on the nighttime cycler? My dad’s dr. expressed concern about my dad’s hypotension being an obstacle to using the cycler.

Thanks again very much for the information.

Eileen

[QUOTE=greeneyesinva;16264]Teri,

Thank you SOOO much for your reply. I had hoped to have something to tell my dad when I phoned him tonight.

Are the dialysate bags that you use with the cycler 2 liter bags? Someone told my dad that the bags used for the cycler are bigger and not as easy to handle as the ones he uses for his regular PD. I am hoping to hear back from Fresenius about the new cycler to be released early next month as my dad’s dr. is waiting for that one before he starts my dad on the cycler.

Also, have you ever had any BP issues while on the nighttime cycler? My dad’s dr. expressed concern about my dad’s hypotension being an obstacle to using the cycler.

Thanks again very much for the information.

Eileen[/QUOTE]
Eileen! The bags I use on the cycler are 5000 ML. they are kind of heavy but my husband helps me with them. I do one exchange midday manually with 2000 ml. I am 84 years young. No I don’t have problems with BPinfact it is high. once in a while I go down but my nurse told me when that happens to drink chicken broth. I do a 2.5 and 1.5 on the cycler either a 1.5 or a2.5 at midday .I haven’t heard about the new cycler. keep me posted.
Teri

Good afternoon, Teri:

Thank you very much for this information–I’ll share it with my dad today. He will be glad to hear that you are in his “generational” age group!!

Currently, he is doing 4 exchanges a day–two 2.5 and two 4.25. From reading my posts, I guess you know that he is having issues with hypotension (BP drops when he stands up; he daily has readings of 70s/40s); this is after 40+ years of high BP!! Anyway, his doctor has decided he may be a candidate for the cycler.

As I learn more information about the new cycler I will let you know!!

Thanks, again, for your help and have a WONDERFUL day!!

Eileen

Teri,

Quick question: how many bags of the cycler dialysate come to a box?

My dad was asking…he’s trying to do the logistics on where he would store them somewhere near his upstairs bedroom.

Thanks!

Eileen

[QUOTE=greeneyesinva;16271]Teri,

Quick question: how many bags of the cycler dialysate come to a box?

My dad was asking…he’s trying to do the logistics on where he would store them somewhere near his upstairs bedroom.

Thanks!

Eileen[/QUOTE]
Eileen! Two 5000ml bags per box. he will get a months supply at a time. I keep mine in my bedroom closet. outside of the solution he will get 2 or three boxes of the cycler sets and a couple of boxes of the drain sets. Is he getting the cycler from Fresenius or Baxter? My dialysis nurse is quitting so I have to find another one.
Teri

Teri,

Thank you very much. My dad will be thrilled to have so much news!! He uses Fresenius for his supplies right now. Do you know where Baxter is located?

Do you live on the West Coast?

I am SOOO sorry to hear about your nurse! Are you associated with a clinic or is your doctor associated with a clinic? Perhaps you could gain direction from either of those resources. Or, there is probably somewhere on this web site that provides a list of locations or nurses; the home dialysis care web site is a treasure trove of resources!

Let me know how you make out with finding a replacement nurse.

Eileen

Baxter is located in IL. Fresenius is located in MA. I’m sure they have delivery sites in different locations so it really doesn’t matter where you live. If the clinic has a contract, they deliver where you need it, even when you’re traveling.

Teri, if your clinic wants to keep its Medicare certification to do home dialysis, it will need to hire a nurse with the required qualifications. You shouldn’t have to do anything to find a nurse. That’s your clinic’s responsibility.

If, on the other hand, the clinic is going to stop providing home dialysis (PD and home HD), then you will need to find another clinic. Your clinic should help you do that. However, you can always use the database that you will find from the homepage of Home Dialysis Central (Find a center near you) to find a clinic that provides CCPD (cycler) training and support.

As you’ve heard, the two companies that make cyclers and PD supplies for patients in the U.S. – Fresenius and Baxter. If you change clinics, you may need to change cyclers and supplies. Medicare will cover training for new equipment.

Thanks, Beth, for the info on Baxter’s location.

Eileen

[QUOTE=greeneyesinva;16275]Teri,

Thank you very much. My dad will be thrilled to have so much news!! He uses Fresenius for his supplies right now. Do you know where Baxter is located?

Do you live on the West Coast?

I am SOOO sorry to hear about your nurse! Are you associated with a clinic or is your doctor associated with a clinic? Perhaps you could gain direction from either of those resources. Or, there is probably somewhere on this web site that provides a list of locations or nurses; the home dialysis care web site is a treasure trove of resources!

Let me know how you make out with finding a replacement nurse.

Eileen[/QUOTE]
Eileen !yes I live on the west coast. in California My doctor and his wife own the dialysis center I go to. they told me they are hiring a new nurse. No I don’t know where Baxter is. I am also diabetic on insulin. Is your Dad diabetic.?
teri

Hi, Teri:

That’s great that you will have a new nurse. What a relief for you! Baxter is located in Minnesota (Beth, who is a moderator, on this message board told me).

No, my dad is completely healthy except for the kidney failure and the side effects he has been suffering.

Have a wonderful day!

Eileen

Teri,

Just a quick note to let you know I just realized I told you wrong about the location of Baxter–they are in IL, not Minnesota…I have no idea what I was thinking…not that this is vital information, but I don’t like to pass along mis-information!!

Have a good night!

Eileen

The cycler works really well for my husband. He uses two 6000 liter bags a night. He also suffers from leg cramps from time to time. No problem with the tubing when he has to get up and walk around. The bathroom is close to the bed and we have a refrigerator in our bed room to keep his snacks and drinks in so during the night he has easy access to them.

Thank you so much for the information.

Hi Eileen! how is your Dad doing? is he on the cycler yet? some times my blood pressure goes way down with dialysis. when that happens the nurse tells me to drink chicken broth and water . and that seems to help. I haven’t met my new nurse yet.
cheers virtsma

Hi, Teri!! It’s great to hear from you!!

My dad is not happy with his quality of life; he has daily hypotension issues and very low energy as a result. He isn’t on the cycler yet; I had called Fresenius and was forwarded to the sales rep for my dad’s area who was a wonderful man that gave me lots of information about cyclers. The new one being offered by his company is not ready for distribution yet and the clinic with which my dad is affiliated may be changing to Baxter soon. So everything is on hold at the moment.

I have suggested the chicken broth and water to my dad as something that may help with the BP problems–thank you so much!!!

You are a real inspiration to me and him; we appreciate you so much!!

Eileen

Teri,

I spoke with my dad on the phone last night and he is wondering how much water or chicken broth you drink when your BP goes down. He has some chicken broth at home but isn’t sure how much he should try–he thought maybe 1/2 cup? He says that would have about 500 mg of sodium in it.

Thanks, and hope that your day is going well!!

Eileen

[QUOTE=greeneyesinva;16393]Teri,

I spoke with my dad on the phone last night and he is wondering how much water or chicken broth you drink when your BP goes down. He has some chicken broth at home but isn’t sure how much he should try–he thought maybe 1/2 cup? He says that would have about 500 mg of sodium in it.

Thanks, and hope that your day is going well!!

Eileen[/QUOTE]
Eileen! I usually drink one cup of chicken broth and I try to drink at least Four 8oz glasses of water.during the day.whenn my blood pressure goes down I feel very dizzy. after I drink the broth my blood pressure goes up.I know your dad will feel much better when he goes on the cycler. He will have more free time.I really like it .My husband keeps me company he calls it our quality time.I have to do A miday exchange.
Teri

Eileen my husband’s tubing is plenty long enough for him to go to the bathroom. We even have extra extenders but 25 ft seems to be enough.