Nobody on call for Christmas and New Year

I had a problem with a TMP & Temperature errors over the festive period. Typically on Xmas eve, I was dialysing in the morning for going out later in the day. Survived the session despite the machine alarming every 5 seconds. Rang the hosp, who said a tech would call back. They didn’t of course.
The hosp was called again & the advice was to leave it, if needed I could come into the unit to dialyses.
Strangely the machine seemed to be OK although I DID get a call from the techs, later on.

The main problems seems to be communication. The only units that don’t close in the festive period are the actuate units, as far as I know the main & satellites all shut on Xmas day.
I’m in the UK btw

Mel, it looks like you almost lost your suppost while gaining notoriety as the home dialysis patient that squeaked the loudest. Good for you!

I don’t think I’d have the same problem as I have basically befriended my nurses and have their home and cell phone numbers if I’d ever need them. I’m not going to go through the bureaucratic B.S. of calling the clinic number if I ever need help – I’m going to go rith to the source. I’ve also never really had a problem contacting NxStage, although I didn’t call on Xmas to test their holiday support. That would have been cruel, and I was in the holiday spirit! Not the Scrooge this year – just happy to be here to celebrate another!

Hi Folks

The point I was going to try and make was that if Beachy was really that upset and if this was first time that it her team had done this, and did Beachy not have ER # she could call? Here we know that our teams take time off and have weekend off but we are taught very well I must say what to do in the the event of ER time. I do have an a # to call just in case, but they know if something happens at 3am sunday I’m going to do what I’ve been trained to do and if need be go the nearest ER room with as much info as I can, they gave a neck lace with a lot of info on it also.

I now know that Beachy was not that upset and it was more a thing of something that had been in place all this time and was cut off.

I don’t know yet if I want to get really help people on dialysis in some way or not simplely due to the fact that it has to start with the DRs and Nurses demanding more not a hand full of Drs and Nurses. My new center tells me now that they only get payed for 3 tx while I do 6tx a wk.?
bob obrien

Thumbs up beachy…here in Canada like Australia, world wide for that matter “the clock does not stop”
I don’t see ER’s closing doors whenever they like…24/7… hell Humber (Toronto) monitors patients in Vancover…go figure…

Richard C/O Jessie

Yes, E.R. is the place if you have a “life or death” emergency, like the occasions I’ve been ambulanced in with Septicaemia…but if you can avoid getting to a life or death position…
Often calling in & getting assistance from Renal units will allow you to dialyse. So if they’re not there & you can’t dialyse, you will end up with an E.R. situation, after a couple of days. And E.R. people are not specifically trained, like the E.R. folk you want assistance from. I have no end of problems with staff on non-Renal wards if/when I go in & there’s no space for me on ward “4BR” & I end up elsewhere…everything from confusion over you refusing to take binders outside mealtimes, typical renal patient b.p. fluctuations, waking you up to do blood sugar when you are NOT a diabetic, talk of putting a catheter to monitor fluid loss - “Er, no, I don’t produce any!!”, down to refusal by the little oriental lady to give me biscuits with my morning tea “You low salt, you no biscuit!!” because I was on a cardio-cascular ward. All good fun

Hi Folks

Hey Bear

I guess I’m luckie , I still have renal function . So I guess if I miss a tx or two or more it is no big deal. I have gone a week without dialysis or so with out any ill effects. And outside of dialysis I’m in fairly good shape. So I’m sorry if I hurt anyone feelings.

[QUOTE=Bear;15324]Yes, E.R. is the place if you have a “life or death” emergency, like the occasions I’ve been ambulanced in with Septicaemia…but if you can avoid getting to a life or death position…
Often calling in & getting assistance from Renal units will allow you to dialyse. So if they’re not there & you can’t dialyse, you will end up with an E.R. situation, after a couple of days. And E.R. people are not specifically trained, like the E.R. folk you want assistance from. I have no end of problems with staff on non-Renal wards if/when I go in & there’s no space for me on ward “4BR” & I end up elsewhere…everything from confusion over you refusing to take binders outside mealtimes, typical renal patient b.p. fluctuations, waking you up to do blood sugar when you are NOT a diabetic, talk of putting a catheter to monitor fluid loss - “Er, no, I don’t produce any!!”, down to refusal by the little oriental lady to give me biscuits with my morning tea “You low salt, you no biscuit!!” because I was on a cardio-cascular ward. All good fun[/QUOTE]
bobobrien

Bear,
I know just how you feel. EVERYTIME I have had to bring my husband into the ER or hospital I have to actually stay with him BECAUSE they just DO NOT get it. I or one of our daughters are always with him.
It is truly amazing. That the nurses and even the dr’s do not understand!
I have started doing seminars for nursing students at the college I work at.
They are truly amazed and really appreciate the info.
I think they should have the nurses do rotation so they would understand .
Pat

[QUOTE=bobeleanor;15326]Hi Folks

So I’m sorry if I hurt anyone feelings.

bobobrien[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob

You definitely haven’t hurt my feelings. I am sure we are just having a friendly discussion and besides that we Aussies are known for our very thick hides!
Have a good one mate :o)

Cheers