Non-Profit Dialysis RV Travel

Hey all, its great to be here for another fresh healthy post, Rah rah! We think that those of you who love to travel will fine this information interesting! As the title implies, yes its about traveling around the country with dialysis in your RV!! The information I found here is based from Canada, but may be a useful example of how we in the USA can apply this idea. Not sure whether there’s any non-profit organizations in the USA that provide this same service.

[B]CLICK HERE VISIT THEIR WEBSITE[/B]

Very cool find, Gus! Years ago, George Harper wrote about his experiences installing a standard HD machine in an RV and traveling around, and my late friend Patty and her husband did the same–they spent a couple of years seeing the U.S. by RV with a dialysis machine. I never asked how they did water treatment, but that would be made easier either by machines like NxStage that can switch to bags, or one like the Allient Sorbent that just needs 6 liters of water to make dialysate for a treatment.

The site does not say much about the dialysis aspect. All I found is “The association is working with the Northern Alberta Renal Program, which will provide 24-hour phone support and technical support for the dialysis unit.” and “The Renter is responsible for providing their own 24 hour nursing phone support through their dialysis unit.” The only mention of training or organizing the treatments is " A minimum of one to two hours is required to familiarize the Renter with the Vehicle and dialysis equipment prior to departure.". Is it open to Canadians only? I assume it’s a Gambro machine - since they’re listed as a donor - do you have to be at home on the same machine or just at home on a machine?

George has never talked about the water question either. Standard procedure is to test the incoming water when setting up the RO; that can’t be done with an RV. Bags of dialysate gets around this but not an option for a standard machine.

Dori, glad you liked this link, I couldn’t find anything like that in the U.S. but am sure it serves as an example how that idea can be applied here in the U.S. …and of course, I have read George Harper’s story!I first came across his story in the 80s…his story among many others is what kept me going. Stories like that is what really opens our eyes and letting us know that yes, you can live a long happy life with dialysis!

[quote=Bill Peckham;14345]The site does not say much about the dialysis aspect. All I found is “The association is working with the Northern Alberta Renal Program, which will provide 24-hour phone support and technical support for the dialysis unit.” and “The Renter is responsible for providing their own 24 hour nursing phone support through their dialysis unit.” The only mention of training or organizing the treatments is " A minimum of one to two hours is required to familiarize the Renter with the Vehicle and dialysis equipment prior to departure.". Is it open to Canadians only? I assume it’s a Gambro machine - since they’re listed as a donor - do you have to be at home on the same machine or just at home on a machine?

George has never talked about the water question either. Standard procedure is to test the incoming water when setting up the RO; that can’t be done with an RV. Bags of dialysate gets around this but not an option for a standard machine.
[/quote]

[B]Yes Bill, Canada only…I did send a message to find out whether dialysis patients in the USA traveling to Canada would be eligible…more on that later…

[/B]