NxStage Device to Prepare High Purity Dialysate at Home

[quote=“PMB”]Hi Pat,

I’m running 2.5 hours during the day using 30 Liters of dialysate each treatment. I run at a dialysate flow rate of 12.0 Liters per hour and a blood flow rate of 550. I only take off 2 kilos max each treatment. I’m not a very big person either.

I make a new batch every other night which seems to work for me.

Good Luck with your new experience and let us know how it goes.[/quote

PMB. what’s your FF rate?

The highest FF rate I have is 40% but usually it runs at 38-39%. For now, the new cyclers with the water filtration system can only go to a maximum 12 Liters an hour dialysate flow rate.

PMB wrote:

The highest FF rate I have is 40% but usually it runs at 38-39%. For now, the new cyclers with the water filtration system can only go to a maximum 12 Liters an hour dialysate flow rate.

How is it that you can run a ff rate of 38%- 40%, because I thought ff is an internally preset #?

How is it calculated how many liters per hr. one’s dialysate flow rate is running?

Pat, Do keep us posted when you start training on NxStage for Nocturnal. This will be interesting. I can’t see too many patients staying with the Fresenius and the RO’s if the NxStage treatments work out well. Let me know what it’s like to be free of rinsing, bleaching, and shaking the jug. Are you already planning your first trip?

Marty, as I said in the other post-- I won’t know what to do will all my time :lol: That jub shaking has taken a toll on my back. I have to go to a chiropractor 2 times a week. I know that Nxstage will have it’s draw backs. Don’t know what yet but it sure will be good to have more up’s!!!
We won’t plan to do a trip probably til spring. I want to be very comfortable using the machine.
I will keep you posted.
Pat

Hi y’all,

I had a talk to do in Boston, and was able to stop by NxStage for a tour that included a demo of the Pureflow system. I’ve seen photos of it, but in person, it was smaller than I expected. From memory, here’s what I learned:
• You need to start with water that meets the Safe Drinking Water Standards, whether it is well water or municipal water.
• As some folks have said, you can either hook it up to a standard faucet (or use a “Y” connector so you can hook it up and also use the faucet) or plumb it in.
• There is a very powerful (20x the usual) ultraviolet light, that both kills bacteria in the incoming water and breaks chloramines apart into chlorine and amines.
• It uses deionization instead of RO, which is why it’s able to use just the 60 or so liters of water (RO wastes a lot of water).
• There are two ultrafilters in sequence, so the treated water is ultrapure.
• Before the treated water is allowed to mix with the sterile bags of fluid dialysate concentrate, there is a third in-line filter to be sure it stays sterile.
• When the machine is running, it does hum, but I’d say it’s quite a bit more quiet than my dishwasher.

All in all, I thought it was a very clever design, and my questions about bacterial growth in the dialysate were fully answered. The Pureflow system takes up much less space, too.

When home patients on NxStage start using the Pureflow system, will the set up as it is currently done change?

Interesting, thanks for this additional information! Very worthy to know these things… :smiley:

Pat, Your the only one I know who will be able to compare NxStage Nightly to Fresenius Nightly. I’m anxious to see how it does on phos removal and if hubby still has as much energy. Also will be interested in knowing how long it takes you to train going from 1 to the other. It sure will be great if all of this works out to have the freedom from the machines.