NxStage Solution One questions

I found the post by “NephNurse” to be very informative and useful. I would, however, be more comfortable if:

1. As is required by most peer-reviewed journals these days NephNurse would disclose any direct or indirect relationship with either of the companies or their products and, if possible, disclose her identity. (Incidentally, I believe this would be a useful requirement for all posts on this board where the subject is commentary on companies or their products)

2. Authorized representatives of NxStage and Aksys would comment “on the record” on each point raised by NephNurse that they believe requires correction or clarification.

Mel

My unit has 30 patients on the NxStage machine and all are doing remarkably well. We achieve kt/v of > 2.1 using volumes from 14-24 liters. Appetites have improved and use of antihypertensive meds is greatly decreased. I am sure both Aksys and NxStage machines have distinct advantages and disadvantages, but my unit prefers NxStage for its portability. My patients report feeling great and more of them are travelling than would have been possible on Aksys or 3 times a week dialysis. One of my patients says the NxStage machine has “made me feel normal again.”

Hi y’all,

Mel wrote:

I found the post by “NephNurse” to be very informative and useful. I would, however, be more comfortable if:

1. As is required by most peer-reviewed journals these days NephNurse would disclose any direct or indirect relationship with either of the companies or their products and, if possible, disclose her identity. (Incidentally, I believe this would be a useful requirement for all posts on this board where the subject is commentary on companies or their products)

2. Authorized representatives of NxStage and Aksys would comment “on the record” on each point raised by NephNurse that they believe requires correction or clarification.

I completely agree–we’ve chosen to allow guest posts to these message boards because we don’t want to require patients who might not feel comfortable with the Internet to register in order to use this site. But our strong preference is that folks from industry please identify themselves and disclose any interest they may have in a particular product or service so that people who read their posts will know their perspective. This would add credibility and accountability to the messages.

I must stongly agree with you, it’s just impossible to believe such posts without legitimate identity. People from the industry should register and identify themselves. However, I understand that the fear of losing their jobs or the don’t speak policy which some companies have might be the reason for this but I think that’s why there’s representatives for those companies who’s duty is to represent the company and support their clients…

As a dialysis professional I am appaled at NephNurse for using a patient forum to grind her personal ax with NxStage. As professionals we have an obligation to provide patients with unbiased facts about therapies in order to help them choose what is best for them. I hope all patients pick up on the angry tone as well as teh false statements and look to other sources for good credible information. :!:

Sheri writes:
As a dialysis professional I am appaled at NephNurse for using a patient forum to grind her personal ax with NxStage. As professionals we have an obligation to provide patients with unbiased facts about therapies in order to help them choose what is best for them. I hope all patients pick up on the angry tone as well as teh false statements and look to other sources for good credible information.

Sheri,
What sources are you referring to for “good credible information”? NephNurse has provided very knowledgeable sounding techinical information. You know, selecting the best dialysis machine/system is strenuous task for dialysis consumers who are already so burdoned by kidney disease. Who hasn’t agonized over choices for items we purchase for our homes or personal use. But when it comes to medical decisions, especially one like this for a life sustaining tx., it is very difficult to decipher what is true information from that which is nothing but a sales pitch.

Is NephNurse just grinding an axe or has she done everyone a service by sharing accurate information upon which to help dialysis consumers make informed decisions about which machine to select for a home program? Why will the machine company representatives not speak to dialysis consumers inquiries on this board? I’ve asked this question before, with no response, and I’m asking it again.

It seems that there is always someone like NephNurse who comes to the dialysis boards and drops off techinical information every now and then. But where are the dialysis professionals who could dispel the myths by lending their support to educate at this board on a regular basis?

It is difficult indeed to know who to trust when there is no standard for information. I’d like to see someone take the lead for a way of presenting information here that brings out the definite facts about home programs so that dialysis consumers have true comparisons with which to make informed decisions for their care. Not that the moderators haven’t done a good job of setting up and facilitating this board, but think without more, professional input it lacks credibility.

I would suggest to all looking at daily options to ask their nephrologist what they would do in their shoes. Informed physicians know the pros/cons/limitations, long term effects of each therapy option. Safety,clearances, and improved quality of life for you and your family should all be considered as well as other varaibles.

Hi y’all,

Jane wrote:

I’d like to see someone take the lead for a way of presenting information here that brings out the definite facts about home programs so that dialysis consumers have true comparisons with which to make informed decisions for their care.

We’ve asked industry reps to post and told them that patients have requested it–but we don’t have any way to compel any professionals to do so.

In dialysis in general, the idea of consumers having true comparisons is a pretty new one. CMS has the “Dialysis Facility Compare” website, which compares various characteristics and quality measures of all Medicare-certified dialysis clinics, but most patients are not even aware of this.

Since 92% of new patients go on in-center hemo–and fewer than 1 in 4 are told about any other option–we’re breaking new ground here on Home Dialysis Central by even telling folks that there are ways to dialyze at home! Before we put this site together, people had no way of finding a clinic that offered home treatments other than calling every clinic in the area and asking. And no-one has ever before gathered together all of the providers and equipment manufacturers to share information at any level.

There just isn’t a “Consumer Reports” for dialysis machines or dialysis clinics yet. We’re heading in that direction as quickly as we can. In the meantime, I think that learning as much as you can, asking questions of folks who are using the products & services themselves, calling up the companies if you’re interested, and talking with your doctor are your best bet to inform yourself.

p.s. - We launched this site exactly one year ago tomorrow, and in that year we’ve had more than 183,000 unique visitors (more than 56,000 this month alone) who’ve looked at almost 700,000 pages!

My name is Alan Hull and I am a nephrologist and the Senior Medical Advisor at NxStage. I’ve been around dialysis for some time and have been very involved in the NKF, K-DOQI, the RPA, as well as other organizations over time. I was a practicing transplant nephrologist because, at the time, I felt it was the best way to help patients feel normal. I’m now involved in home daily dialysis because I’m convinced it is the best clinical choice for many patients.

I’ve been very impressed with how quickly Home Dialysis Central has become an important channel for responsible sharing of valuable information. This will help more patients gain access to daily home therapies, and the patient benefits that go with home dialysis. It probably won’t surprise you that we support the effort and follow it closely. It has not been my or NxStage’s policy to respond in this forum, as we believe this is for patients to discuss their experiences.

Nevertheless, I feel a responsibility to respond to Nephnurse’s post. Not just because the post is based upon some incorrect suppositions on what NxStage did, is doing, or will be doing in the future, but rather because I worry that some may assign too much credibility to the post given the conviction with which it is written. The post makes many strong, but inaccurate, assertions – I’d like to address three in particular:

Adequacy: NephNurse’s conclusions on NxStage adequacy and patient size limitations are incorrect. NxStage conducted a FDA IDE trial at 6 sites during 2004. 32 patients were enrolled, and the study consisted of over 2,900 patient treatments. Patients averaged 80 kg (176 lb) and ranged from 49 kg (108 lb) to 107 kg (235 lb). Most had been on dialysis for some time and had no residual renal function. On average, patients received a weekly standard (std) Kt/V of 2.3 in the study using 19 L of fluid per day, 6 days weekly. To put this into context, this stdKt/V is equivalent to that delivered in the “high dose” arm (Kt/V of 1.7 per 3x weekly session) of the HEMO study, and is above K-DOQI adequacy guidelines. These results will be published in greater detail in the coming months.

Long term therapy results: Time will be our greatest ally in assessing these. That being said, the first patients began NxStage therapy in December 2003. 20 months later, these patients continue to do well. Many others have initiated therapy since then. Nearly all of our patients are taking advantage of the flexibility and ease of use of our system to do home daily dialysis. Consistent with other patient experiences on daily dialysis, reports of improvements in energy, appetite, weight gains, and general well-being are common among NxStage daily dialysis patients. We and our partners are encouraged with the experience to date. NxStage will continue to follow and publish long term results – the company is committed to providing high quality therapy options to patients and their physicians, and to providing additional information that will aid physicians in their prescription decisions. Now that NxStage has FDA clearance for home use, you may be hearing more from and about the company and its products.

Purity and biocompatibility: NxStage agrees with an emphasis on fluid quality and biocompatibility, and multiple approaches to this exist. Our current cartridge design and the use of sterile dialysate reflect NxStage’s approach. The emphasis on purity and biocompatibility will remain in future products that the company may introduce.

If anyone ever has questions about NxStage therapy, our history, or the status of the company, I invite you to visit the web site (www.nxstage.com) and/or contact us through our website.

On a higher level, I believe we should be working to increase the number of patients in the renal community who know about and can take advantage of the benefits of home/assisted self-care therapies. Surveys of nephrologists, professionals, and patients suggest a third or more of patients could be doing home/assisted self-care therapies, but less than 10% actually do. The issue is not about which machine is best – all have unique appeal, and all will develop further over time. Patients benefit if we all work to provide accurate information on alternatives; find ways to make home therapies even more practical for more patients, and communicate the benefits to doctors, nurses, providers, payors and patients.

Thank goodness, at last! Your the first and only registered industry professional on this thread who has come to answer with great will and braveness!

Thank you Dr. Alan for informing us!

I am not a professional, I am a patient and have been for quite some time. The Nxstage machine is portable…but what about the supplies needed to run it for a month? or even a week? how portable is it when you throw all that into the mix? I am on the Aksys PHD and I love it, I am off ALL blood pressure meds, epogen, and iron. I dialize 6 days a week for 2 hours a day. If I want to travel I arrange for in-center dialysis wherever I am going to be, that way I don’t have to mess with daily dialysis while on vacation. I think you should pick whatever machine is going to work best for you, but if you read what Alan Hull said he even mentions that the Nxstage testing wasn’t done on anyone over 107Kg, What are the run times and clearances for pateints over 107kg? I have never felt better on dialysis than I do with the PHD system.
JD

In Alan’s last closing paragraph is a crucial one for us…and to that degree you are fortunate to be at home having dialysis, so basicly you choose what you think is best for you. I assure you that there are many more home machines being designed or redisigned right this moment including Alient’s Sorbent machine…it’s great axcitement to see more coming into the market. Like Dr. Alan said, more patients in the renal community should benefit from these home/assisted self-care therapies and best way to promote that is to tell the world of your great experiences your having with your machine.

Before I ever started home dialysis I did my research and found that NxStage and Aksys were my only options being offered by WellBound…at first I wanted Aksys but after doing a bit of more research I decided to go with NxStage,…for those of you planning to go home do your homework and do thorough research and you will be able to make a final decision on what’s best for you.

On a higher level, I believe we should be working to increase the number of patients in the renal community who know about and can take advantage of the benefits of home/assisted self-care therapies. Surveys of nephrologists, professionals, and patients suggest a third or more of patients could be doing home/assisted self-care therapies, but less than 10% actually do. The issue is not about which machine is best – all have unique appeal, and all will develop further over time. Patients benefit if we all work to provide accurate information on alternatives; find ways to make home therapies even more practical for more patients, and communicate the benefits to doctors, nurses, providers, payors and patients.

My weight is 114 kg and treatment time is about 2 hrs and 40 minutes on NxStage. Travel is not a problem for supplies because NxStage delivers fluid and cartridges to your location. All you have to take is the machine and they have a suitcase with wheels.

What are your clearances if I may ask, I am right around 114kg too, down from 125 when I started (slow but sure, I’m now aiming at losing about 1kg a month). I’ve been told I cannot get good dialysis from the Nxstage.

I really really want to travel without having to go to 3x a week in center dialysis. Don’t know why I am so anti incenter, maybe just the unknown, but I also know it can be a real hassle to find centers.

Cathy S—my last clearance was 2.76. I feel great and am working full time.

Dr. Hull writes:

It has not been my or NxStage’s policy to respond in this forum, as we believe this is for patients to discuss their experiences.

Patients want your input and that of your competitors offering home therapy! A board on this site could be set up for prospective home program patients’ inquiries.

Dr. Hull writes:

If anyone ever has questions about NxStage therapy, our history, or the status of the company, I invite you to visit the web site (www.nxstage.com) and/or contact us through our website.

Medical leaders of home programs:
Please think about getting this essential information/education to dialysis consumers through this forum! First and foremost, we need solid education so that we can make informed choices for our care. Bring the education to us in a forum of medical integrity so we do not have to go on a wild goose chase for our answers. Make the transition into home hemo programs assessable through your support. We are here-come to us.

[b]That would be nice, but I think it’s gonna be a problem espcially where this is a patient only forum…it might become a mess of arguments.

Perhaps a little re-organization to this forum might workout a bit…my recommendation is to have a new thread for presenting home dialysis machine types…FAQ where registered industry representatives answer questions by patients…BUT prolly the most convenient way would be for Home Dialysis machine companies to provide that information on their websites,…

For a patient forum its a whole different world…especially where anyone can post anything.

To this degree as patients we can only share our ideas, experiences and thoughts which is the best for this board…the word of mouth about the experience you have or had with a machine or company is the BEST tip you can gather…

For posts by un-registered claiming they’re from the industry ignore it…if they really mean it by their long writings they should register and prove it…[/b]

Although I recognize that being misunderstood is an unavoidable side effect of joining chat rooms, it makes me sad to be accused of underhanded motives. I honestly have no ax to grind. I work for neither NxStage nor Aksys. Since I read here that some of you were soliciting opinions from dialysis professionals, I am simply trying to contribute. Nevertheless, I understand why there may be concerns and will try to address some of them.

While my last posting definitely contained opinions, it did not contain any statements that were deliberately false or misleading. They were all based on information reported in the scientific literature. I did not cite many of these points because I did not think the patients who read this board wanted it turned into a scientific journal.

The information I provided regarding the expected nutritional outcomes is based on a validated computer model that uses the equations that are generally accepted by the renal community. I based my figures on the standard hyopthetical “average sized male”. It is fairly well known that certain patients actually reach a higher weekly standard Kt/V than predicted - but that is usually due to the fact that (at least in the USA) heavier people usually are heavier because they have a higher than average amount of body fat, in which urea is not well distributed. In other words, their actual V (volume of distribution of urea) is lower than the value used in standard Kt/V equations, which base V on lean body weight.

Since Dr. Hull brought up the HEMO Study and the Kt/V targets published by K-DOQI, I would like to briefly discuss these topics.

The first thing you should understand about the K-DOQI target for dose of dialysis is that it is a floor, not a ceiling. The target is a value below which there is a reasonable likelihood that you would start to show symptoms of under-dialysis. So when someone tells you that you are receiving an “adequate” dose of dialysis as defined by DOQI, you might want to ask why you cannot have an “optimal” dose, i.e. that dose above which no further clinical improvement would be expected.

The second thing you should know about this dose target and Kt/V in general is that it only applies to urea - a small molecule easily removed by dialysis. Studies long ago showed that urea is not particularly toxic and that when infused into normal people in high doses, does not cause uremic symptoms. It did, however, in the same study cause normal people to reduce their protein intake. Thus, there is some question as to just how relevant urea is as a marker of uremia.

The HEMO Study was a major, multi-center, randomized clinical trial aimed at identifying what difference in martality would result when one large group of patients was dialyzed at the prevailing target Kt/V and another group of patients was dialyzed at a somewhat higher dose. The result was - there was absolutely no difference. The most plausible explanation that I’ve heard at scientific meetings as to why there was no improvement with “more” dialysis is that when you’re receiving thrice weekly dialysis (as all HEMO Study patients were), increasing the Kt/V in the range that was selected should not have been expected to result in much of a change in significant clinical outcomes (like mortality). Since the advent of daily dialysis, we now know we should be comparing modalities on the basis of a newer parameter called “weekly standard Kt/V”. If one looks at the difference in that measurement between the experimental and control groups of the HEMO Study, one sees that there is a miniscule difference. On the other hand, if one were to switch patients from 3 to 6 days of dialysis per week while keeping the number of total hours of dialysis per week constant, the increase in weekly standard Kt/V would be much larger. This is because the largest amount of wastes are cleared in the first hour of dialysis - and 6 first hours are more valuable than 3.

This is why the NxStage patients in their clinical trial reported feeling better and eating better. Switching to any form of daily dialysis from thrice weekly dialysis will result in major positive clinical outcomes. Thrice weekly dialysis is a subsistence treatment; it is not designed to return you to a level of health and energy that will enable a near normal life and return to work. It was originally designed as a holding therapy until the person could receive a transplant; then Government funding came along and froze the pattern.

That daily dialysis at very low dialysate volumes results in significant clinical improvement has been known for over twenty years. One of the pioneers of daily dialysis, Dr. Buoncristiani in Italy, dialyzed 22 patients from 1982 to 1988 on a daily basis (7 days per week, 90 minutes per day, weekly Kt/V=1.5-1.7). He did this by cobbling up a homemade dialysis machine that stored 25 liters of dialysate in a plastic jug. In his published results, he reported significant improvements in a long list of clinical parameters.

As interesting as that experience was, it may be of equal interest that he later converted all of those same patients to 2 hour dialysis sessions using conventional single pass machines which allowed him to increase the weekly Kt/V to 3.0-3.5. The results were further dramatic improvements in all of the previously measured parameters plus improvement in several additional areas, such as bone disease. The point is that daily dialysis - even using a very low dialysate volume - is a big improvement over thrice weekly treatments.

However, it is a fundamental law of nature that you can’t remove as much nitrogenous waste product from the blood using 19 liters of dialysate flowing through the dialyzer at 100 ml/min as you can with 50-150 liters of dialysate flowing at 500-800 ml/min, such as you get with the Aksys PHD or any other hemodialysis machine like the Fresenius Baby K or the B Braun or the Baxter Arena system. It is also a matter of chemistry that if you remove less nitrogenous waste products from the blood on a daily basis (as you would for example if you switched from daily treatments with the Fresenius Baby K to a NxStage System One), one of two things has to happen: either the level of nitrogenous wastes in your blood has to go up or you have to eat less protein to keep them low.

One additional point: Dr. Hull did agree with the emphasis I placed on solution purity and biocompatibility. He pointed out that there are multiple approaches to this issue and that NxStage had chosen to use bags of heat sterilized dialysate. Sterile dialysate is a good thing but heat sterilized dialysate is less good than cold filtration sterilization because it results in a lot of heat-induced byproducts of both the dialysate itself and of the plasticizers that keep the bags transparent and flexible. Most of the conventional dialysis machines manufactured in recent years have taken the cold filtration route by placing a depyrogenation filter in the dialysate line just prior to the dialyzer. This creates “ultrapure” dialysate. Aksys has taken that one step further and produces “injectable quality” dialysate.

I could go on but this message is, once again, too long. Sorry! But I hope it is helpful to at least a few of you. I want to help disseminate as much information to you as possible so that you can make the most informed decision possible. I can see why some of you may have viewed my previous contribution as being biased. If I am biased, I would like to think that it’s because I have considered the information available in the medical literature, at nephrology symposia and from personal experience and drawn conclusionas as to how I would dialyze myself if I contracted chronic kidney failure (my father’s mother and sister died of polycystic disease).

I would like to give you one more piece of advice regarding the dialysis professionals whose advice you are soliciting. Do as they do, not as they say. In other words, look at the dialysis professionals who do end up with kidney failure and see how they have elected to dialyze. At this moment, I am aware of three nephrologists who have had to go on dialysis in the past three years and they chose to use the PHD. I am also aware of one pediatrician using the system. There may be nephrologists using NxStage or Fresenius systems but I am not aware of them. As for me, I would not leave my nephrologist’s office without asking this question: if it were you, what would you choose?

I have to disagree with Nephnurse. I was a chief Tech with a Fresenius clinic. We tested water monthly for endotoxins, and bacteria. She is right that AAMI has no standard for Endotoxins, but Fresenius does. Also we used diasafe filters in the machine prior to the dialyzer, it is basically a dialyzer internal to the machine to stop all endotoxins and bacteria prior to the patient. I also have to agree that setting up the machine only takes 4 or 5 minutes to string. It takes about 10 minutes to do the self test, it is simply pushing the test button, and can be shortened, 6 minutes is the pressure holding test. the configuration for your treatment is pretty straight forward also, you set the time you want to run, and the amount of fluid you want to remove. As far as the contaminents from the dialyzer and the lines, that is why you prime the dialyzer and the lines. Also they are using e-beam to sterilize the dialyzers now, so there are no chemical sterilizers used. Mixing the bicarb is a pain in the but, but it should not be 30 lbs, 9 liters of water and a box of bicarb should only weigh 19.2 lbs. I hope fresenius makes a smaller machine, there is no reason for it to be as large as it is, all the hydraulics are in the lower 1/3 or so, the uf pump, flow pump, deareation pump, acid and bicarb pump. The electronics in the top 1/3 of the machine should be able to fit on a single card with todays electronics. I am fortunate that I do not have ESRD, but have worked with a lot of patients that have esrd, and they have been some of the best people I have had the priveldge of knowing. We need to get more people to sign up for organ donation!!!