NxStage Users and Plasticizers

NephNurse wrote:

One additional point: Dr. Hull did agree with the emphasis I placed on solution purity and biocompatibility. He pointed out that there are multiple approaches to this issue and that NxStage had chosen to use bags of heat sterilized dialysate. Sterile dialysate is a good thing but heat sterilized dialysate is less good than cold filtration sterilization because it results in a lot of heat-induced byproducts of both the dialysate itself and of the plasticizers that keep the bags transparent and flexible. Most of the conventional dialysis machines manufactured in recent years have taken the cold filtration route by placing a depyrogenation filter in the dialysate line just prior to the dialyzer. This creates “ultrapure” dialysate. Aksys has taken that one step further and produces “injectable quality” dialysate.

What do NxStage users think about this warning re plasticizers?

NephNurse exaggerates this…if you ask why? The reason for that is because these manufacturing methods is everywhere, i mean everywhere…even in-center 3x a week…the saline, the dialsysis line packaging, and much more. Don’t forget there’s more in-center…the chemicals used, renalin and so on…it’s a cancer causing environment in-center…you don’t have to take my word for it but visit a few centers and read the warning signs around the clinic where patients dialyze…

It doesn’t really matter whether it’s a NxStage or any other dialysis machine. You still have to deal with some type of hazard…

However, I do firmly believe that dialyzing at home is alot safer than in clinic…

Gus writes:
Don’t forget there’s more in-center…the chemicals used, renalin and so on…it’s a cancer causing environment in-center…you don’t have to take my word for it but visit a few centers and read the warning signs around the clinic where patients dialyze…

Although I have observed the lack of hygeine in units, I have never heard anyone say it is a cancer causing environment. What signs do you mean? Have never noticed any signs.

Sorry guest, but will not go deeply into this matter, don’t want to put fear in patients nor the community. It’s fact, long term exposure to certain chemicals causes cancer.

I’ll put it this way, no matter where you are or where you live we’re living in a hazardous environment without knowing what’s around the corner.

One example might be French Fries, yummy…it has been found that potatoe chips and fries contain a chemical that causes cancer…after all these years it now is evident? :?

VioXX, another example…so you see…well, a little different…

We can try to minimize the danger but not clear it completley…but the long term exposure is what affects us.

By law all clinics and medical companies are required to release information on what chemicals were used in their products or are being used…don’t you read the labels or even get notices?

It’s the same for mechanic shops, they also have their health warning signs for clients to read…

When it comes to new technology like NxStage and Aksys you’ll never know what outcomes will be after alot of years of use. This is research and no one will know what are the long term affects of using these machines…

Currently, all we can say is wow, I feel much much better than in-center…and the data is there to prove it…

What kind of tubing do you think that are in the conventinal machines, and the Aksys machine? Yes thats right, there all synthetic man made tubing. Just as gus says!!! Look at the tubing that hooks your lines to your needles, there are man made products eveywhere. Bottom line if reading all of NephNurse postings there seems to be some sort of byass. Not sure what, but it comes through loud and clear…

PD has been done for over 20 years and those bags are the same as the saline bags, and assuming the same type of bags as other companies use. So now we are not gonna drink out of a 2 liter bottle? Or consume a soda from a metal can? Or eat from a plastic fork?

One can go on and on. Day in and day out we are faced with many challenges. These so called issues are not one of them.

Peace