NxStage vs. Fresenius

Hectorol is available in pill form now. Medicare Part B won’t cover anything other than the IV administration. Check to see if your insurance covers it. If you have a Part D plan, it may cover it.

Hi Cathy,

Beth is right about oral Hectorol. Also, don’t you have to go into the center to get IV iron? Couldnt’ you get IV Vitamin D at the same time?

Why is it that some programs have no problem with home patients giving themselves IV meds and other programs don’t permit it? How many of you give your own IV meds vs those who must go in-center?

I had parathyroid surgery, it helped me alot…maybe the surgery is best way to go…

Okay, okay, I’ll reply. I could get hectorol but uncovered so nearly $200. I was preferring the Sensipar which I now have been prescribed. I don’t think the oral hecterol is available either, it has to be on Medicare’s list for my coverage to allow it.

Getting the IV hectorol I believe is every time, so getting it every month or two when I get iron won’t help much.

I am hopeful that the Sensipar (which they will probably double the dose) and the calcitriol will control the PTH if it doesn’t, then I guess we are looking at surgery.

Cathy
happy NxStage user
home dialysis 9/04
PKD

Okay Cathy,

We are all dying to know how things are going and how was the road trip? Any pics?

Hey Beachy, I’m still on vacation. Weather has been the pits, poured every day but one, but the boys wanted to stay anyway. Believe it or not, they have swum every day in the pool, thank goodness for heated pools and spas!!

I’ve done dialysis 3 times so far, one night to go. I was only going to do three treatments, but I skipped the night I had my tooth pulled cuz I didn’t think using heparin a couple hours after pulling the tooth would be a good idea.

So far so good, the bellman brought the machine and most supplies up. Boys have brought up two cases of dialysate each day. We hang the bags early, so it takes about 25-30 minutes total to get on. Hasn’t really interferred with the vacation, I’ve been going on after dinner, we’ve watched movies or the boys have swum or played games while I am on.

I’ll update tomorrow or Friday after I return home.

Cathy