NYC Patient Needed for TV News Segment

The following was posted on the CNSW listserv, a listserv for renal social workers:

For a potential New York city-area TV news segment “A Day in the Life of a Dialysis Patient” in honor of World Kidney Day on March 8, producers are seeking someone on dialysis living in any of the five boroughs who is: a working parent (could be Mom or Dad) with young children at home; active, articulate, upbeat, positive, and has risen to the challenge of life with chronic illness. If this sounds like you and you’re interested, please contact Ellie Schlam at 1-800-622-9010 ext. 143.

I would love to see a home dialysis patient on this news story to let more people know that there is an alternative to in-center dialysis!

Hope you found someone willing to share their story as I’m sure there are many success stories out there. My husband does home hemo for 4 hours per night, six nights a week after working a 9-hour day. I am his dialysis partner during those hours after caring for my 3 year-old grandson for 10 hours during the day and providing PART-TIME, state certified child care for other moms when the need arises so they can run errands or keep appointments and not have to drag little ones around with them or just need child care in an emergency. We do not qualify to help with the TV segment as we live in Rockland County on the other side of the Tappan-Zee bridge. It is not easy, but he tries his best at a normal life – fixing cars for our 4 young adult kids, helping others whenever called upon, rides his motorcycle down in Daytona for bike week and anything else that reminds him of his former life. His grown kids call him their hero and they think he is the real Superman! Good luck in your search … Pam D.

I’m guessing you are looking for home hemo patients for your story. I am a PD patient, but I do all of my treatments at home myself. It is an alternative to in-center though! :slight_smile:

I posted this notice a couple of weeks ago on both the PD and home HD message boards. I don’t know when the segment was to be filmed, but Ellie Schlam from NKF can tell you if they have the patient(s) they need. You can reach her at 800-622-9010, Ext. 143 (a toll-free number). Even if this segment has been filmed, NKF may be approached in the future so I’d suggest to give her your name and contact information for future requests.