Patients Speak to the Dialysis Industry

I agree Beth I didn’t think you were suggesting people not write in … my initial suggestions were off the top of my head and I am not surprised they are problematic.

DFC does at least report Yes or No whether a facility has shift starting after 5 PM but I think going deeper into modality choice among the dialyzor population would be helpful. I for one would also like to know the range of run lengths offered at a unit. Some offer up to eight hour incenter runs others have four hours as their longest run. If I had a choice between two units, all else being equal, I would pick the one that offered the longest run. I may not run as long as possible but I would prefer that the ceiling was of my choosing, rather than unit policy.

I’d like to bring this conversation back to a question I asked previously.

The first step is to decide what should be measured, on what basis should we judge the quality of a dialysis provider? Blood measures i.e. kt/v, hgb, albumen? Process measures i.e. availability of home or self care modalities, evening hours, ongoing education? Or survey measures i.e. asking dialyzors about their perception of care, functionality surveys, SF-12? Or outcome measures i.e. mortality, hospitalizations, work status?

Whether we’re talking about Dialysis Facility Compare. Medicare reimbursement adjusted by a Pay for Performance scheme or some other legislation that would levy fines, the question is: what would you measure?

Thoughts?

Whether we’re talking about Dialysis Facility Compare. Medicare reimbursement adjusted by a Pay for Performance scheme or some other legislation that would levy fines, the question is: what would you measure?

This is a really important question, Bill, because we have some pretty good evidence now suggesting that what has been measured by the renal community is not what correlates with reducing morbidity (hospitalization) and mortality (death) rates in Americans on dialysis.

An article in last month’s Kidney International journal (Szczech LA, Klassen PS, Chua B, Hedayati SS, Flanigan M, McClellan WM, Reddan DN, Rettig RA, Frankenfield DL, Owen WF Jr., Associations between CMS’s Clinical Performance Measures project benchmarks, profit structure, and mortality in dialysis units. Kidney Int. 2006 Jun;69(11):2094-100.) said:

Prior studies observing greater mortality in for-profit dialysis units have not captured information about benchmarks of care. This study was undertaken to examine the association between profit status and mortality while achieving benchmarks. Utilizing data from the US Renal Data System and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ end-stage renal disease (ESRD) Clinical Performance Measures project, hemodialysis units were categorized as for-profit or not-for-profit. Associations with mortality at 1 year were estimated using Cox regression. Two thousand six hundred and eighty-five dialysis units (31,515 patients) were designated as for-profit and 1018 (15,085 patients) as not-for-profit. Patients in for-profit facilities were more likely to be older, black, female, diabetic, and have higher urea reduction ratio (URR), hematocrit, serum albumin, and transferrin saturation. Patients (19.4 and 18.6%) in for-profit and not-for-profit units died, respectively. In unadjusted analyses, profit status was not associated with mortality (hazard ratio (HR)=1.04, P=0.09). When added to models with profit status, the following resulted in a significant association between profit status (for-profit vs not-for-profit) and increasing mortality risk: URR, hematocrit, albumin, and ESRD Network. In adjusted models, patients in for-profit facilities had a greater death risk (HR 1.09, P=0.004). More patients in for-profit units met clinical benchmarks. Survival among patients in for-profit units was similar to not-for-profit units. This suggests that in the contemporary era, interventions in for-profit dialysis units have not impaired their ability to deliver performance benchmarks and do not affect survival.

Funny. To me, this suggests that we’ve figuratively put the ladder up against the wrong wall–we’ve chosen the wrong measures. If the “clinical benchmarks” (the ESRD Network clinical performance measures (CPMs) are met, but survival has not improved, we’ve chosen measures that don’t predict what really counts. Or, at the very least, we’ve set the bar too low on those measures.

Paraphrased from the 2005 CPM Data Collection Annual Report http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CPMProject/Downloads/AnnualReport05final.pdf, the CPMs that affect hemodialysis (HD) are:
• Patient’s delivered dose of HD is measured at least once/mo.
• Patient’s delivered dose of HD is calculated using formal urea kinetic modeling (UKM) or the Daugirdas II formula for spKt/V
• Patient’s average delivered HD dose over 3 mo. = spKt/V greater than or equal to 1.2
• A primary AV fistula should be the the access for at least 50% of all new HD patients & 40% of continuing HD patients
• <10% of HD patients should be maintained on a catheter continuously as permanent access for more than 90 days
• A patient’s AV graft should be routinely monitored for stenosis
• Target hemoglobin for patients prescribed epoetin is 11-12 g/dL
• For anemic patients (Hgb <11 g/dL in at least one study month),% tsat & serum ferritin are measured at least once in 3 mo.
• For anemic patients or patients prescribed epoetin, at least one serum ferritin of greater than or equal to 100 ng/mL and at least one tsat of greater than or equal 20% were documented in 3 mo.
• All anemic patients or patients prescribed epoetin who have at least one tsat <20% or at least one serum ferritin <100>

Okay, so what obvious and not so obvious measures are missing here? How about:
Hospitalization rate - Why not set a benchmark for, say, fewer than 6 days in the hospital, if the mean is 11 days?
% of patients with serum albumin levels >4.0 g/dL. This is a no-brainer, given the data. How can we not be measuring nutritional status???
% of Working-age patients (<65) who are working or in school - I agree with Beth: employment status is a surrogate for good overall outcomes.
Physical functioning - This is easily measured with a reliable, valid paper-and-pencil tool that is easy to score, and it predicts morbidity and mortality.
Mental functioning - Same reason as above (and same test).

To be useful, measures must be valid (measure what they are supposed to measure), reliable (reproducible results if you use the same measure again), and they have to predict something important–preferably mortality–that would otherwise take a long-term study to assess. If we lose sight of the goal–to reduce mortality rates and improve quality of life–we’ll measure the wrong things. I think that’s exactly what we’ve been doing. The CPMs were chosen based on the K/DOQI guidelines, which were chosen because that’s where the studies–and the funding support–were.

To choose the right measures, we need to look at why the Medicare ESRD Program was funded in the first place–to enable people with kidney failure to stay active, productive, and preferably tax paying citizens.

I’m sure most renal professionals will suggest the same things they always suggest – dialysis adequacy, anemia, control of blood pressure, placement of more fistulas than catheters. However, what about measuring patients’ self-assessed functioning and well-being – some have called health-related quality of life? With one survey, you can learn if someone has low scores. Research has documented in tens of thousands of patients that low scores are predictive of hospitalizations and death. Therefore, you could identify and target for interventions those that are at risk and improve the scores and possibly reduce their risk of hospitalization and death. In my opinion, for a patient to have functioning and well-being scores that are average or above, everything has to be just right so far as optimal removal of toxins and treatment of anemia, prevention of bone disease, pain management, treatment of depression, etc.

I agree with what Bill posted ealier about incentives vs. penalties. My suggestion would be to pay a bonus to clinics that do a better than average job and as more clinics are doing better gradually require clinics to do even more to get the bonus. I bet clinics would work harder to get a bonus than they’d work to avoid a penalty.

How does pay-for-perofmance work?

There isn’t a specific proposal out there other than the Baucus Bill from the last Congress. The Baucus Bill’s Pay for Performance (P4P) would have created a withhold. I am against a withhold but this is how it usually works: Medicare would deduct a percentage of the composite rate reimbursement that they normally pay facilities and put that money into a pool. Remember Medicare sets the reimbursement rate for a dialysis treatment (for the 75% of all dialyzors that are Medicare primary) – the Composite Rate. Medicare takes this composite rate (which is now case mix adjusted and adjusted by a geographic wage index) and pays 80%.

Under a P4P withhold model Medicare might instead reimburse 78% of the composite rate and put 2% in a performance pool, this I think was how the Baucus Bill would have worked. Then in the case of the Baucus Bill a “Quality Advisory Board” would be established to advise Medicare “on quality measurement, pay-for-performance, and the development of a national quality agenda”. In other words the Bill punted on the all important decision: Which measures?

Then once the measures were decided a decision would be made about how high to set the bar(s) for reward. If you set the bar(s) so that 20% of all dialysis units qualified then those 20% of units would receive a 10% bonus (five times the withhold). If 50% qualified then the bonus would be 4% (two times the withhold).

The P4P I support, instead of a composite payment withhold I would favor creating the bonus pool from an inflation ajustment. For instance, just to make the math easy, imagine the composite rate on average was $100, in this imaginary example all units in year one receive $100 per Medicare primary treatment. In year one MedPac reports that inflation is around 2.65% (which they did this year) and assume that the system is designed to reward half the units. In year two half the units would get $100 per treatment and half the units (the one reckoned to be the better half) would get $105.30 per treatment.

During year two MedPac reports that inflation is 2%. Now in year three the base rate is $102.65 (year one base rate plus inflation adjustment), so the half of units that are judged to be in the top half of all dialysis units would receive $ 106.75 per treatment and the bottom half of all dialysis units would receive the new base $102.65. Again if the program was designed to reward a more select group of dialysis units then the difference in reimbursement rates would be greater. If the program rewarded only 10% of all units (or more exactly: providers who best served 10% of all dialyzors) then they would receive ten times the inflation adjustment.

I was glad to see Dori and Beth answers to my question but I am really interested in what some of the other Board posters think should earn a dialysis unit a performance bonus. Or rather what measure, if it was improved, would be a clear sign that the dialyzors at the unit received high quality care? And what percentage of providers should be rewarded?

Previous Volume 355:121-123 July 13, 2006 Number 2
Next

System Failure versus Personal Accountability — The Case for Clean Hands

Donald Goldmann, M.D.

A new mother sits by her tiny, premature baby in a neonatal intensive care unit. She watches as a physician touches the baby without first washing his hands or using the waterless, alcohol-based hand antiseptic just a couple of feet away. A few minutes later, a nurse and then another doctor also fail to perform these basic procedures. When her baby was admitted to the unit, the mother was told to remind caregivers to wash their hands, but only after witnessing repeated failures does she muster the courage to speak up about the practice she thought would be routine. By then, her baby has acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) — probably transported on the hands of a caregiver who had been examining other babies who are colonized with MRSA. A few days later, MRSA invades the baby’s bloodstream; it eventually proves fatal. Such preventable infections, caused by the failure to practice hand hygiene, are far from rare, and they occur in many of the finest neonatal intensive care units in the United States.

MRSA and other health care–associated infections have been prime targets of hospital infection-control and patient-safety programs for years, yet the prevalence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria continues to increase, and the rate of infections caused by these pathogens remains unacceptable. What can be done about these seemingly intractable problems?

Patient-safety experts stress that complex, error-prone systems are at the root of most mistakes in health care. Archaic, poorly designed systems often undermine the best efforts of well-intentioned, highly motivated clinicians and health care personnel to provide safe care. A major goal of contemporary patient-safety programs is to encourage a culture of safety and create a blame-free environment in which errors are seen as a by-product of bad systems, not as caused by bad or incompetent people. This orientation toward improving systems rather than blaming people who make mistakes is critical, since it encourages caregivers to report adverse events and near misses that might be preventable in the future. Improvement is impossible without such reports, which permit hospitals to gain an understanding of the factors that lead to mistakes and create systems that support safer practices. Although reports tend to focus on major, dangerous errors that occur relatively infrequently, lower-profile mistakes that many caregivers make virtually every day, such as not washing their hands, also need to be documented and understood if the systems are to be improved.

But if we really are serious about making care safer, I would argue that we need to find the right balance between blaming mistakes on systems and holding individual providers accountable for their everyday practices. Curbing the alarming increase in the rate of antibiotic-resistant infections surely requires both systemic improvements and increased personal accountability.

Infections with antibiotic-resistant bacteria such as MRSA, which are difficult to treat, are transmitted primarily by the contaminated hands of health care providers who have touched a colonized patient or something in the patient’s environment. Patients who are colonized or infected with resistant pathogens often have billions of colony-forming units of bacteria per milliliter of sputum or per gram of stool. Their skin and immediate environment may also be heavily contaminated. Caregivers who leave the bedsides of such patients without performing hand hygiene may carry thousands or even hundreds of thousands of colony-forming units of antibiotic-resistant bacteria on their hands. Even if the caregivers wear gloves while caring for patients who they know are colonized with resistant bacteria, they frequently contaminate their hands when they remove their gloves.

Fortunately, the remedy for this situation is simple. If every caregiver would reliably practice simple hand hygiene when leaving the bedside of every patient and before touching the next patient, there would be an immediate and profound reduction in the spread of resistant bacteria. The recent widespread deployment of waterless, alcohol-based hand antiseptics has made this task easier even for harried caregivers. Performing hand hygiene with these products kills bacteria (with the exception of Clostridium difficile) very rapidly, takes much less time than traditional hand washing, and is gentler on the hands than the repeated use of soap and water. Yet compliance with hand hygiene remains poor in most institutions — often in the range of 40 to 50 percent.1,2

The system is partly to blame. First, staff members must not be so seriously overworked that they do not have time to perform important standard procedures. Second, many hospitals do not have programs to ensure that caregivers are adequately educated — that they know exactly how much alcohol to apply, how long to rub their hands together, and which skin surfaces are most important to cover. Once educated, caregivers should also have their hand-hygiene competency assessed and certified. And then they must have reliable access to alcohol-based antiseptics at the point of care, which requires a foolproof system for refilling dispensers before they have run dry. Dispensers must be functional and must reliably deliver the appropriate amount of alcohol. Although the alcohol-based rubs in current use are gentle on the hands, lotions should also be easily accessible, in case of irritation. Clearly, the resolution of such system issues is not terribly complicated; in the realm of hand hygiene, near-perfect reliability should be achievable.3,4,5

Imagine, then, a hospital that has perfected its hand-hygiene system and monitors it regularly to detect failures. If a caregiver in such an institution neglects to perform hand hygiene when leaving the bedside in any case except a life-threatening emergency, it is no longer logical to blame the system. Experts in human error have a word for the failure to follow clear rules in the face of well-functioning systems: “violation.” Repeated violations in health care, as in any industry, should have consequences.

Another industry in which cleanliness is paramount — computer-chip manufacturing — may be able to teach us something about this issue. When a worker enters a “clean room” where computer chips are being made, he or she must don a special suit, gloves, and mask to prevent the chips from becoming contaminated. These required materials are always available, and the clean-room system is highly reliable. A single failure to follow the rules results in a warning. Employees who violate the rules twice risk disciplinary action — for, after all, millions of dollars are at stake if contamination occurs. The performance expectations, in my view, should be at least as high when the stakes are lives rather than profits.

When a doctor or nurse can reduce the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria by practicing simple hand hygiene, accountability should matter. True, the hospital and its leaders are accountable for establishing a system in which caregivers have the knowledge, competence, time, and tools to practice perfect hygiene. But each caregiver has the duty to perform hand hygiene — perfectly and every time. When this widely accepted, straightforward standard of care is violated, we cannot continue to blame the system.

Source Information

Dr. Goldmann is senior vice president of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Cambridge, Mass., and a professor in the Department of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School, Boston.

Statement of Robert Berenson, M.D., Senior Fellow, Urban Institute

Testimony Before the Subcommittee on Health
of the House Committee on Ways and Means

September 29, 2005

I would like to thank Chairman Johnson and members of the Subcommittee on Health of the Ways and Means Committee for the opportunity to testify on the Chairman’s Medicare Value-Based Purchasing of Physicians’ Services Act of 2005. For over two decades, I have followed the evolution of Medicare’s policies for compensating physicians under part B – as a practicing internist, a medical director of a preferred provider organization responsible for the physician fee schedule, a senior official in the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services overseeing payment policy for all providers, and a policy analyst and commentator.

I have had the opportunity of looking at the issues that H.R. 3617 raises from virtually all sides and conclude that although pay-for-performance efforts are important and show promise, they should not be viewed as a substitute for the flawed sustainable growth rate mechanism for controlling physician spending. There are important and largely overlooked issues in the underlying payment system that have been all but ignored in this debate and which are long overdue for attention.

First Steps on Pay-For-Performance

I have written approvingly of pay-for-performance (P4P) as a new departure for Medicare and other purchasers and plans to promote improved quality of care. Given the disappointing state of quality, where it can be measured, providing incentives for physicians to do better seems an appropriate response. As the payer that often influences market directions, Medicare can play a uniquely important role in leading this activity in collaboration with other purchasers. Indeed, two years ago a group of highly respected health care leaders from across the ideological spectrum agreed in an open letter in Health Affairs that Medicare should lead on P4P. A particularly desirable attribute of P4P is holding providers accountable against validated measures of performance, rather than just paying claims for services rendered.

The presence of validated and useful measures, as well as an evolving culture that has accepted the desirability of meeting objective performance measures, means that certain providers are ready to participate in such a system. For health plans, the nearly two decades old work on HEDIS and CAHPS measures and the tedious but essential implementation work under the leadership of the National Committee for Quality Assurance suggests that P4P can be a useful approach to rewarding performance and improvement by Medicare Advantage plans. In addition, ESRD providers are ripe for P4P because of the presence of widely accepted process measures that are good predictors of the outcomes of dialysis. In fact, MedPAC recommended that P4P commence in Medicare with these two provider categories.

I have mixed views about the readiness of hospitals for P4P, but the Premier demonstration seems to be off to a good start, and, importantly, the expectations of what P4P can accomplish in the hospital sector are appropriately limited; that is, the marginal incentive for hospitals to meet explicit performance on the core CMS measures are not integral to hospitals’ basic reimbursement. Importantly, the basic approach to hospital payment relies on prospective payment through case rates – diagnosis related groups (DRGs). Although, as we all learned through the MedPAC study of specialty hospitals, DRG payments can be skewed and create distorted incentives for hospitals to emphasize certain services at the expense of others, nevertheless, the hospital prospective payment system creates the basic incentives for hospitals to improve efficiency, at least in caring for the patients that enter through their doors. P4P is not looked to for the purpose of improving hospital efficiency.

Physician Pay-For-Performance

Which brings me to the subject of today’s hearing – pay-for-performance for physicians in Medicare. Here, I would make a point about terminology. I have chosen to use the term pay-for-performance rather than value-based purchasing, the term that the Chairman has adopted to title the proposed bill. I believe value-based purchasing is a much broader concept than pay-for-performance, which is but one of many strategies that a value-based purchaser might adopt.

I generally applaud the goal of measuring physician performance, holding physicians accountable for deviations from desired performance, and through publication of performance, helping Medicare beneficiaries make informed choices about which physicians they should seek care from. However, there are formidable barriers to assessing performance at the individual physician level. Further, in the crucial areas of overuse and inefficient provision of services and in misuse, that is, errors of commission and faulty judgment, measures are in their infancy.

Physician pay-for-performance faces unique barriers in Medicare because of certain characteristics of the Medicare beneficiary population. In an important article that appeared last month in the Journal of the American Medical Association, a group at Johns Hopkins cogently argued that most clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) and performance measures focus on single conditions, failing to recognize that many Medicare beneficiaries have multiple chronic conditions, not just a single one for which most guidelines and measures are directed. The authors concluded, “Basing standards for quality of care and pay for performance on existing CPGs could lead to inappropriate judgment of the care provided to older individuals with complex comorbidities and could create perverse incentives that emphasize the wrong aspects of care for this population and diminish the quality of their care.”[1] It will take years to develop validated measures relevant to the large number of beneficiaries with complex comorbidities.

A related issue is that most CPG and P4P measures are relevant to younger populations. For an 85 year-old, measures that focus on primary and secondary prevention are not particularly relevant, whereas measures appropriate to geriatric syndromes, e.g. reducing falls, addressing incontinence and chronic pain, deserve priority. I recognize that H.R. 3617 calls for measures that address issues related to frail elderly and those with multiple chronic conditions, but the work to develop age-relevant performance measures is just beginning.

One P4P initiative that seems to be on the right track is the California-based activity under the auspices of the Integrated Healthcare Association. However, it is important to identify the unique aspects of IHA that suggest to me it will not be simple to replicate the approach in Medicare. The IHA initiative assigns accountability to relatively large multi-specialty medical groups contracting with health plans under capitation arrangements that, similar to DRGs for hospitals, transfers financial risk to the provider group. The fundamental approach to promoting cost conscious physician behavior resides in the basic professional capitation payment to the groups. In this context, P4P provides an important complement by looking for and measuring possibly substantial under-use of services, which is a potential byproduct of incentives that could lead to withholding needed care. Importantly, there are reasonable process measures of under-use for certain important diseases that also supports the goals of the IHA initiative.

In contrast, the Medicare physician payment system and, outside of California and a few other places, the physician payment system used by most private insurers based on a fee-for-service (FFS) model. The payments reimburse for transactions, not for population-based health care, and the powerful, inherent incentives in FFS reimbursements are to drive up volume. Recent data from both Medicare and private payers document that that is exactly what is happening – to unsustainable levels. In this fee-for-transactions environment, the validated P4P measures that mostly address primary and secondary prevention services and patient experiences likely will have little effect on utilization and spending even as they improve patient outcomes. Further, where patients have free choice of physician at the point of service, as in Medicare, PPOs and, now, many HMOs, patients obtain care in an a la carte fashion, providing no easy way to assign the responsibility for performance. It is far easier to attribute performance against specified measures to multi-specialty groups that assume responsibility for individuals who designate them as their source of care than to independent physicians who take patients one by one and face no incentives to conserve resources. Physicians are supposed to meet the standards of care of their specialty, not assure that patients actually have good outcomes at a reasonable cost. Thus, pay for performance offers some promise as a tool to move physician orientation to actually meeting patients’ needs. We will see.

In short, physician P4P faces formidable barriers in Medicare, as it does for most private plans. For all the P4P talk, the current round of Center for Studying Health System Change (HSC) Community Tracking Study site visits found that physician P4P was underway robustly only in 2 of the 12 metropolitan areas that it tracks – in Orange County, in the heart of the delegated capitation model of care and in Boston, where there are large physician groups, often attached to the major teaching hospitals.[2] Although Medicare surely could lead on P4P, I doubt that P4P is ready for the decisive role envisioned for it under the Chairman’s proposed legislation, a role that sees it as a substitute for the flawed sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula for holding down Part B expenditures.

P4P is Not a Substitute for the Troubled SGR Mechanism

The SGR needs to be reformed or replaced. While significant changes are needed, current P4P measures that focus on under-use of preventive services simply will not serve as a substitute for the SGR mechanism for constraining physician spending in Medicare. The well-intentioned attempt, unfortunately, strikes me as a classic example of the “tail wagging the dog.” By that I mean that the engine that drives physician behavior is the financial incentive to increase volume. Physicians, especially those who may be knowingly taking advantage of the system, will surely ignore any marginal payment incentive of 1 or 2 percent if the behavior to gain the marginal income conflicts fundamentally with the underlying incentives in the payment system. It would be much easier to do an extra test, see an extra patient, or – of most concern – upcode visits to make up for what otherwise might be lost under such a scenario. While there is no conflict between the underlying payment incentives and a P4P approach that rewards more care, that won’t contain costs or limit inappropriate utilization. To the contrary, it might increase spending, albeit for desired activities.

But on issues of overuse, I suggest that the conflict does exist. For example, in Medicare spending for advanced imaging services increased last year by 25 percent. Because much of the costs associated with imaging services are fixed and able to be spread over the number of imaging services provided, those providing these services have every incentive to suggest the need for additional, discretionary imaging services. And referring physicians, for various reasons, face no constraint on ordering imaging services that, importantly, do no harm, except to taxpayers and the relatively few beneficiaries without supplemental insurance who actually have to pay a co-payment. Thus, even if we could reliably measure overuse, I am skeptical that physicians will markedly change their behavior to respond to a modest 1-2 percent change in payment.

In short, pay-for-performance is a worthy initiative and I applaud the goal of trying to produce relevant and validated measures for each specialty. However, I expect that this objective done correctly would take many years. The current state of measurement and structural impediments to P4P effectiveness does not constitute an acceptable substitute for the SGR, which I think we all agree needs to be replaced.

The RBRVS System Needs A Comprehensive Review

I am concerned that the attention on P4P is distracting both policy makers and the medical profession from addressing what are increasingly apparent flaws in the resource-based relative value scale (RBRVS)-based payment system that controls physician payment in Medicare and, in somewhat altered forms, in private health plans.

As suggested earlier, a value-based purchaser asks whether it is obtaining the right kind and mix of services, of acceptable quality, for the right cost. For example, a value-based purchaser would not simply defer to the medical profession to determine the mix and relative value of services provided by the profession, the explicit concept that underlies the RBRVS-based payment system. Further, a value-based purchaser would feel no obligation to provide payment bonuses to all specialties if the areas of that need improvement could be affected by a subset of physicians. The goal of value-based purchasing, with P4P as but one strategy, should be to provide greater value for beneficiaries and taxpayers, not to promote equitable access to bonus payments for physicians, which seems to be the American Medical Association’s position. Thus, P4P should be seen a means to the end of getting greater value for money spent and not as an end in itself, that is, to measure and reward for the sake of measuring and rewarding.

Given the problems in the Medicare physician payment approach that preceded RBRVS, basing payment on dollar estimates of work and practice overhead, rather than historic charges, was a clear improvement. And in the first decade of implementation beginning in 1992, the volume control mechanisms that limited spending functioned reasonably well. Unfortunately, those days are over.

Briefly, Medicare’s physician payment system is facing fundamental problems that pay-for-performance alone will not address and to which few policymakers seems to have paid attention in recent years.

1. Disconnect between costs and payments. For many services, payments bear poor relation to underlying cost of production. The MedPAC finding that skewed DRG payments were distorting market behavior in relation to specialty hospital development is surely also true in relation to physician payments. Recently, Paul Ginsburg and Joy Grossman of the Center for Studying Health System Change wrote about this phenomenon of distorted payments in relation to hospital and ambulatory care based upon recent findings from the 12 HSC Community Tracking Sites.[3] I am currently reviewing HSC interviews from the fifth round of site visits that demonstrate that physician behavior too often reflects a strong bias toward performing procedures, even leading them to be unavailable to perform the consultative role that specialists traditionally have performed. For example, in some sites, gastroenterologists have stopped caring for complex hospitalized patients, preferring to perform routine endoscopies in ambulatory endoscopy suites in which they are likely to have ownership interests. In short, physicians respond to economic incentives, which has distorted physician behavior, resulting in the provision of an inappropriate mix of services. MedPAC has identified the issue of mispricing of physician services and plans to study it in detail in the near future.[4]

One of the explicit objectives of the RBRVS system based on work performed by William Hsiao and colleagues, was to redistribute from procedural and technical services to what were then called “cognitive” services and now “evaluation and management” services. Although there was initial redistribution in implementing the RBRVS system in 1992, a preliminary Urban Institute study I helped produce for MedPAC demonstrated that desired redistribution progress has stopped for a number of reasons.[5]

Compounding the problem within the physician fee schedule is the apparent overpayment in facility fees, which are paid separately from the physician fee schedule, As a result, many physicians now invest in ambulatory surgery centers, endoscopy suites, and diagnostic imaging and testing centers. In short, to make up for what they consider inadequate professional fees, in particular for their time associated with patient visits and consultations, physicians increasingly are becoming entrepreneurs, able to self-refer to increase volume and revenues. Thus, in any serious attempt to fix the SGR mechanism, consideration should be given to redirecting savings from reducing overly generous facility fees to the pool of dollars that physicians can receive for their professional services, so that physicians can again resume their roles of acting in their patients’ best interests and performing services they have been trained for, rather than feel a need to self-refer to support their investments. Again, MedPAC is doing some work in this area, at least with respect to examining site-of-service differentials.

1. Volume or cost control. Many have described the problems of the SGR as the mechanism for controlling physician expenditures. Preceding the SGR was the Volume Performance Standard (VPS), which had problems as well, but was reasonably successful in the face of the daunting volume incentives that fee-for-service provides. I believe one of the problems in both approaches is that the volume control is applied at a national level. When prices are cut as a result of national volume controls, an individual physician’s incentive is to increase services that do no harm to patients, of which there are many. Thus, prudent physicians are penalized and profligate ones are rewarded. This reality does provide a strong rationale for individual level assessments of utilization as performance measurement attempts to do. But again, the physician who is increasing volume to increase revenues that go to the bottom line is unlikely to respond to a P4P incentive of a percentage point or two to restrain volume.

Interestingly, in recommending a national volume control mechanism that was subsequently adopted in statute as the VPS, the Physician Payment Review Committee (PPRC) understood that a control mechanism applied nationally was a crude approach. In 1989, the PPRC expressed hope that organized medicine would step up to the challenge of developing clinical practice guidelines, enhanced peer review and other professionally-grounded approaches to reducing excessive volume. That never happened. PPRC also discussed moving to specialty specific and geographic volume performance standards to target price cuts to where the excessive volume was taking place. That never happened either.

And now, more than fifteen years later, we understand through the work of Jack Wennberg, Elliot Fisher and their colleagues that geographic variations in volume of physician services do not produce important differences in quality. We are spending too much in particular geographic areas, but the volume controls are being applied nationally. Further, not all services are rising at unacceptable rates. The volume of major surgical procedures is not rising out of control; nor are doctor visits. Yet, the SGR spreads the pain of price cuts indiscriminately. In short, the SGR mechanism is broken, but as long as Medicare reimburses for professionally-determined transactions, there needs to be more targeted volume control mechanisms to address inflationary spending. We are asking too much of P4P to do the job of controlling volume increases and the accompanying unsustainable spending increases.

1. Lack of care coordination for beneficiaries with chronic conditions. The current physician payment system does virtually nothing to promote care coordination by physicians and their offices for the increasing numbers of beneficiaries with multiple chronic conditions. These patients typically see numerous unconnected physicians and other health professionals and may take ten or more prescription and OTC drugs without supervision. The Chairman knows of my interest in this area. I have had the privilege of testifying here on how to improve the provision of services to beneficiaries with chronic illnesses, and I applaud the Chairman for her interest in helping enact important pilots and demonstrations in the Medicare Modernization Act that are now proceeding. Nevertheless, I continue to believe that physicians have a crucial role to play in being part of teams that address the care for patients with multiple chronic conditions. To achieve that objective, basic payment policy must provide incentives for physicians to spend some of their professional time and to allow others working under physician supervision to take part in care coordination activities.

Simply, the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding system that Medicare and private payers use does not address care management and care coordination. Frankly, care coordination is not an easy thing to define and pay for. Nevertheless, a value-based purchaser would ask how to promote the set of activities that Ed Wagner and colleagues have delineated to constitute good chronic care management. At the same time a value purchaser would try to offset that new spending by reducing the volume of services that are serving no useful purpose, such as intensive care unit stays for many patients in their last weeks and months of life.

I am not recommending arbitrarily limits on what services patients are eligible for. But I am suggesting that relative values that determine physician payments should be adjusted to try to accomplish policy goals, such as reorienting the care of those with end-stage chronic conditions to palliation and caring, rather than curative interventions. Pay- for-performance might be able to contribute to achieving this reorientation. But the real action is in the nitty-gritty coding and payment policy that has seemed on automatic pilot for the past decade.

Conclusion

In summary, I think measuring physician performance and moving to greater accountability for that performance is a desirable goal. But I am concerned that inflated expectations about what pay-for-performance can achieve has diverted attention from the increasingly evident problems with many aspects of the basic physician payment system. In particular, P4P currently does not provide a plausible mechanism for controlling the volume of or spending on physician services. The RBRVS-based payment approach has been a very important alternative to what came before and worked well initially. But a number of problems with the RBRVS conceptual foundation and its implementation have now become apparent. MedPAC has identified some of the issues that I have briefly discussed above, with tentative plans to explore them in greater detail.

Measurement of physician performance and attempts to pay differentially for performance should proceed, but P4P currently will not address soaring volume increases of certain physician services in particular geographic areas. P4P should not distract the committee from a long overdue look at the basic payment system. As part of that review, I believe better alternatives to the SGR will be found. And until we have a solution, I think it unwise to simply repeal the SGR.

[1] Cynthia M. Boyd, et al., Clinical Practice Guidelines and Quality of Care for Older Patients With Multiple Comorbid Diseases. JAMA 294(6): 716-723.

[2] Cara S. Lesser, Paul B. Ginsburg and Laurie E. Felland, Initial Findings from HSC’s 2005 Site Visits: Stage Set for Growing Health Care Cost and Access Problems. Center for Studying Health System Change, Issue Brief 97, August 2005.

[3]Paul B. Ginsburg and Joy M. Grossman When The Price Isn’t Right: How Inadvertent Payment Incentives Drive Medical CareHealth Affairs Web Exclusive, August 9, 2005

[4] Chapter 9: Review of CMS’s Preliminary Estimate of the Physician Update for 2006 in “Report to the Congress: Issues in a Modernized Medicare Program” MedPAC, June 2005.

[5] MedPAC Report, June 2005.