PD in Low Income Communities

Hi Dr Agar,

I am part of a group of graduate students conducting research into improving the penetrance of home peritoneal dialysis (PD) in low income areas. We have a new catheter technology that would contribute to the realisation of this goal and ultimately improve quality of life for patients suffering of chronic kidney disease.

We have a couple questions we are looking to have answered. I understand that you may not have the info required to answer all of them, but if you have any insights into even one of them, it would be greatly appreciated!

1. What percentage of patients requiring dialysis would you estimate do not have access to it?
  2. What are the most common barriers to access to dialysis in low income or remote areas, in your opinion?
  3. In your experience, are patients receptive to home PD or do they prefer in-clinic dialysis? How receptive do you think nurses/patients would be to a new technique for PD catheter placement?

We’re also looking to create a few different “patient personas”, representing average dialysis patient in low-income communities and highlighting key elements of their experience

1. Based on your experience, could you provide some examples of the average experience of low-income patients beginning dialysis?
  2. What do you think would be the best way to get in contact with nurses or patients who might be willing to talk to us about their experiences?

Thank you.

On leave
Will respond late October
But … you may get better information elsewhere
My main expertise is in home HD, and while our service sustains an active PD program, it is not my personal focus.

On leave
Will respond late October
But … you may get better information elsewhere
My main expertise is in home HD, and while our service sustains an active PD program, it is not my personal focus.