Peritoneal Dialysis and Cyclers

I am wondering why there are not more people doing PD with cyclers. We had no one to talk to when we started this and am still confused why more patients are not using cyclers for PD. There are less than 40 in our area.

My husband are not happy that we have to do dialysis but doing PD wih the Baxter Cycler has not really complicated our lives. We have been doing this since January and have settled in to the routine and work the dialysis into our lives.

We would not even consider doing hemo now. Just believing that everything continues to go well for us.

Why isn’t this method given as an option to more patients experiencing kidney failure?

Interesting question, DHolland. If you look across the whole U.S., each year since the early '80s since cycler PD was introduced, it has been gaining and manual PD has been dropping. But it sounds as if in your area that’s not the way it’s been working. Probably there aren’t enough cycler “champions” where you live–folks who really believe that PD fits into people’s lives more easily if they can do it mostly at night. Of course, across the U.S. in general, fewer than 8% of folks are doing ANY kind of PD–mostly because no-one tells them it’s an option. That’s one reason we built this site!

Please be careful about saying “we would not even consider doing hemo,” though. People I know who have lived for decades with kidney failure have used ALL of the options at one point or another. Using the least possible time on in-center hemo (and getting a minimum of 4.5 hours per treatment if you must do that kind for even a little while) is best to avoid long-term complications. But home hemo can be a great option for folks who were doing PD and can’t continue for some reason (and don’t want or haven’t yet come to the top of the list for a transplant.)

Dori I should have been more careful with my wording. I had added, " Just believing that everything continues to go well for us". I do hope it does but we adjusted to PD and I have I have no doubt we could do the hemo if we had too. The only thing about hemo is that I faint at the sight of blood. My mother was an RN as were aunts and cousins. I could never make it.

This site was recommeded to me by an ex-PD nurse in Canada. I was so glad to find this help. The first month was rough but after we got a routine worked out to suit us things have been easy. We pick our own time for the dialysis. That is one thing that is so good about PD, you work around your lifestyle and travel with the cycler is not bad.

I tend to use “we” and “our” most of the time but that is the way I look at PD. It is a partner thing for us. My husband of 42 years and I work together. I usually set up the cycler during the day and everything is ready when he comes in to start in the afternoon. I am so glad we learned together. If I am not home he does the entire processs by himself.

I need to tell a little story about my husband. We have friends and the husband was experienceing kidney failure. He would not consider dialysis. His doctor wanted him to do PD but Michael did not want to even try. My husband was asked by the family to visit Michael and talk to him about his dialysis. He did a couple of times and even told him he would come help him get started everyday until he and his wife got comfortable with the PD.

One day my husband came in and told me Michael was in the hospital getting his catheter for PD. He also had to do some hemo. When my husband called Michael he was told that because of the visits he decided to start dialysis.

I do hope that we can help others who are looking at dialysis. Our experience was not a bed of roses. We went through hell for two months but the sun came up everyday and we made it together.

I’m so glad that PD is working for you now, and that you and your husband are happy with it–and found our site! :slight_smile: It does seem that a number of folks have a rough start, but once they get the kinks worked out it can go very well.

It sounds like you and your husband literally saved your friend’s life! He was lucky to have you there as an example of how to have a good life with kidney failure.

D Holland! This is virtsma! I have been to hell and back starting May 9th 2007. first I had problems with my catheters , I have had two put in. the last one finally worked. In january I started training after two days my nurse said I couldn’t do it . I am uses the fresenius stay safe. My step daughter asked the doctor if we could take the equipment home that week end so I could practice .he said yes. we took it home and I learned it . went back on monday and showed the nurse I could do it. I finally started on the cycler. and I am doing just fine. I am diabetic on the insulin pump and my numbers are great I haven’t changed any thing. insidenltly I am 84 years young. Sincerely Virtsma

My hat is off to you for learning how to use the cycler by yourself. You are an inspiration to others. I am happy to hear that things are going good for you.

I think relating these positive experiences will help others give PD and a cycler a try.

Dianne

FYI: I’ve been on manual PD since 7/07, I tried the night cycler and got an alarm the very first nite, I’m a light sleeper anyway, so I went back to the manual bags. It works for me.