Problems finding a center to provide training

My husband has been on in-center hemo since June. He was unable to get a PD catheter because of scar tissue so we decided to try for home hemo since we are 35 miles from our center. Currently there are no centers in our area offering HD (North Central Florida). We have tried centers in the two nearest cities (Jacksonville and Tampa) offering HD but they will not take us because of the distance (100 miles). Our insurance company is very supportive and trying to get a program started locally. Our center is providing no assistance or support at all. We are actually considering selling our house to move closer to a location offering HD. We are excellent candidates for HD training- both in our late 50s, retired, highly trainable and in good health (other than kidney failure).
Does anyone have any advice or experiences that would help?
Thanks…sue

Did the clinics tell you why they are unwilling to take you when you live only 100 miles from their clinic? It seems like the most difficult part of following a patient who lives some distance from your clinic is sending a technician to the home to do machine maintenance. In the early days of my career, the University of Kansas Medical Center had patients in far west Kansas several hundred miles away. The machine tech and the home dialysis nurse drove together to take care of those patients. You might want to set up an appointment and meet with the doctor that is the medical director of one or both of these clinics? Having a doctor advocate for you might provide the impetus that the clinic needs to accept you.

Besides that, I’m not sure if the ESRD Network of Florida can help, but you can contact them in Tampa at 800-826-3773.

No one can force a clinic to offer home hemodialysis. Sadly, few clinics in Florida offer home hemo. I know of at least one patient who moved from Florida to Seattle to get home hemodialysis. It typically isn’t necessary to move that far because there are many home hemo clinics between Florida and Washington state. You might want to let the ESRD Network know that you’re considering moving to get home hemo. If you’re considering this, I wonder how many others might. It might be worth surveying patients to find out what the interest in home hemo might be.

Hi y’all,

Sue wrote:

We are actually considering selling our house to move closer to a location offering HD. We are excellent candidates for HD training- both in our late 50s, retired, highly trainable and in good health (other than kidney failure).

I suggest you contact DaVita at Home. They’re one of the sponsors of this site, and have a commitment to making home hemo available. Their toll-free number is 800-328-4828, and their website is http://www.davitaathome.com. Please write back and let us know if they help you.