Questions for nocturnal patients

Hello:
I have been approved for nocturnal dialysis but our clinic is not familiar with some of the “how tos”. I would like to have some nocturnal patients tell me how they do things. Questions follow:

1. What time do you go to sleep?
  2. Do you sleep in a chair or your bed?
  3. How long did it take you get acclimate to over night dialysis?
  4. Do your buttonholes get sore?
  5. How long does it take to get set up before beginning treatment?
  6. Do you wake up refreshed for the day and what time do you wake up?
  7. How do you secure your lines?
  8. Is anyone using dialysate bags for nocturnal (instead of NXStage Pureflow) - how do you keep warm?
  9. Has anyone suffered from severe sleep deprivation?
    (Can you tell that I am concerned about getting enough sleep?)
  10. Does anyone go back to sleep after getting off the machine?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!
Judy

hi judy :-), and hopen to hear some of these answeres as well. Not planing on ‘going there’ as hubby has no desire to (he’s the D man) but im always interested 'just incase :wink:

I started nocturnal about a month ago…so I just went thru the ajustments…

1. What time do I go to sleep… I get on the machine around 10-11pm… I run for 7 hours and get off at 6am…
  2. I sleep in a bed… tried the chair…not comfortable…
  3. How long did it take to get acclimated to over night dialysis… a few nights…the first night was hardly no sleep…but by the second night I was ready… few alarms woke me up but I have done away with the alarms…( like alarm 5)
  4. Do your buttonholes get sore… No… there has not been any problems…
  5. how long does it take to get set up before beginning treatment… roughly about 45 min…and that includes self cannulation…
  6. Do you wake up refreshed for the day and what time do you wake up… I wake up at 6am and Yes I am refreshed… all that dailysis does wonders… I have my whole day to go and do what ever…
  7. How do you secure your lines… I use tape…LOL. I place type in three points… basically a circle and then tape to arm in three points… lots of tape…
  8. is anyone using dialysate bags for nocturnal… I use bags all the time… they bags are warmed on top of the machine… I use the bags because I travel many times a month so bags for me are the way to go…No problem staying warm… blankets on the bed…
  9. Has anyone suffered from severe sleep deprivation… No there have been nights when I get a few 21 alarms…but those are fixed quickly… but broken sleep has not been a problem…
  10. Does anyone go back to sleep after getting off the machine… NO… why would I want to go back to sleep after all that sleep… I am rested and ready to go…its really been pretty easy… I was nervious at first… and now not at all
    I was doing nocturnal for 6 days a week for the first month…now I am going to drop to 5 for a month… my labs are great…
    Wonderfull to see more doing noctural… its took me months to get my clinic to let me do it…

[QUOTE=kathyheffner;21076]I started nocturnal about a month ago…so I just went thru the ajustments…

1. What time do I go to sleep… I get on the machine around 10-11pm… I run for 7 hours and get off at 6am…
  2. I sleep in a bed… tried the chair…not comfortable…
  3. How long did it take to get acclimated to over night dialysis… a few nights…the first night was hardly no sleep…but by the second night I was ready… few alarms woke me up but I have done away with the alarms…( like alarm 5)
  4. Do your buttonholes get sore… No… there has not been any problems…
  5. how long does it take to get set up before beginning treatment… roughly about 45 min…and that includes self cannulation…
  6. Do you wake up refreshed for the day and what time do you wake up… I wake up at 6am and Yes I am refreshed… all that dailysis does wonders… I have my whole day to go and do what ever…
  7. How do you secure your lines… I use tape…LOL. I place type in three points… basically a circle and then tape to arm in three points… lots of tape…
  8. is anyone using dialysate bags for nocturnal… I use bags all the time… they bags are warmed on top of the machine… I use the bags because I travel many times a month so bags for me are the way to go…No problem staying warm… blankets on the bed…
  9. Has anyone suffered from severe sleep deprivation… No there have been nights when I get a few 21 alarms…but those are fixed quickly… but broken sleep has not been a problem…
  10. Does anyone go back to sleep after getting off the machine… NO… why would I want to go back to sleep after all that sleep… I am rested and ready to go…its really been pretty easy… I was nervious at first… and now not at all
    I was doing nocturnal for 6 days a week for the first month…now I am going to drop to 5 for a month… my labs are great…
    Wonderfull to see more doing noctural… its took me months to get my clinic to let me do it…[/QUOTE]

Thank you Kathy for responding to my questions. You have helped relieve some of my anxiety already! do you have trouble with your lines when you roll over from one side to another?

No I am carefull… kind of like when sleeping with a small child… I use to do that when my Sara was young…( she now 25 )… I just kind of know where I am and how I should sleep… I just turn from side to side and never completely twirl… like I use to… Its just something that you get us it… its worth it… just have to be a light sleeper… well worth spending time sleeping and doing D and waking up and getting on with the day… I have so much more time now… I like it…