Real count

Hi Folks

Is there any way of getting real #'s on just how many units offer both PD and Home Hemo? With out calling each unit? Is there any law that makes companies or centers report true facts as to what they offer? When I look at center location search ,all say home dialysis! But when you call a few you get the pic that just offering PD is home dialysis. Has anything changed in the 2.5 years I’ve been on dialysis changed?

Thanks
Bob OBrien

Hi Bob,

The problem is that it’s a moving target–and some folks are not able to share their data. When we built our database in the first place, (http://search.homedialysis.org/locate/search/) we got information directly from the large dialysis organizations (Fresenius, DaVita…), and the middle-sized ones (RCG back then, now DCI, RAI…) and we called the independent centers. Our criteria is that centers must be actively training folks for home dialysis–not just have one or two folks leftover from the 70s or 80s who are still doing home treatments.

Since we started this site, there has been some growth in centers that offer CAPD and CCPD, and a lot of growth in nocturnal home HD, but we just can’t keep up with the daily HD programs–they are growing too fast. We have 300 clinics right now that offer nocturnal HD and 480 that offer daily HD. (There are no doubt more that offer daily HD). Compare that to 73 nocturnal HD programs and 37 daily programs in 2004.

Our database is not perfect, but there is no better one. If you call a center that we have listed and they don’t offer a treatment that we say they have, please let us know. You can submit a correction right on the database page. That won’t change the database itself, but it will let us know that we need to call and verify.

[QUOTE=Dori Schatell;15731]Hi Bob,

Since we started this site, there has been some growth in centers that offer CAPD and CCPD, and a lot of growth in nocturnal home HD, but we just can’t keep up with the daily HD programs–they are growing too fast. We have 300 clinics right now that offer nocturnal HD and 480 that offer daily HD. (There are no doubt more that offer daily HD). Compare that to 73 nocturnal HD programs and 37 daily programs in 2004.

[/QUOTE]

I had no idea there were that many SDD programs and especially nocturnal programs. Very interesting. I would like to find where extended length txs are offered using NxStage. I’m sure they are much more rare. Is this info found in the directory?

Hi Folks

My area SE PA is filled with Davita and FMC. I started with Davita in Phila on SDD. Moved to WellSpan of York of PA. I’m in the middle of both, at the time Davita was not offering the nocturnal . WellSpan was offering both SDD and nocturnal only on nxstage. I now understand that a Davita center in Lancaster Pa is offering both SDD and nocturnal on nxstage. While with Davita they offer home hemo on two or three types of machines.

I like the unit I’m with now, there "in center unit " was far and away better than Davita and there home program is for me the way medicine should be handled. In all the years I’ve spent in the medical world(51) I had come to see medicine in a partnership. I’m sure that some time down the road, corp medicine will find a way to gap both the real care of people and the money end in such a way that for old farts like myself. might feel ok with it. But for now Wellspan of York is my home.

Have A Great Day

Bob OBrien

Since our database goes by treatment–not by machine–we don’t have any way of tracking which centers are using NxStage for nocturnal. It’s possible that if you were to call NxStage looking for a center, they might be able to tell you.

Here in Ontario , Canada it’s hard to find the “real numbers”… I had to go around and find home / nocturnal dialysis units…or those who “offered the choice” … on my own.

But actually it wasn’t too hard in Northern Ontario because NO nocturnal nor home hemodialysis program exist … some idiot drew a line on a map …sorta speak !! how embarassing …knowing that nocturnal all started 300 clicks south of my home

Richard C/O Jessie