Recliners

what kind of recliner does DaVita give you? :?:

Jon,

Sorry for the delayed message reply. I just started dialyzing at home last week. I was trained at DaVita, Franklin Center, and they supplied me with a recliner for home dialysis. The recliner was a typical dialysis chair that they use in center. It is a nice chair. It has folding arms supports on both sides, it reclines and is easy to clean. This chain probably retails for over $2,500. I hope this response helps.

Michael

DaVaita supplied you with a recliner for home use? :?

WellBound didn’t give use anything!! I went in and had to buy my own recliner… :?

DaVita must have a BIG heart

Gus, you might want to check with WellBound–and bring the receipt for your recliner. Medicare pays for a basic recliner as part of what it will cover for home dialysis. You can read about it in one of our Medicare FAQs for patients: http://www.homedialysis.org/v1/medicare/faqs-pat.shtml#16. Who knows, you might get a refund! :smiley:

To clarify what Dori wrote, Medicare does not reimburse the clinic separately for the recliner. A recliner is considered part of the home setup. The clinic is reimbursed the composite rate and is supposed to provide the things that are listed on the FAQ page under that rate.

Medicare reimbursement hasn’t increased in years, and in fact, the effective reimbursement rate buys half what it would in 1983 dollars when the composite rate was introduced. I worked in dialysis back then and you’d be amazed at the difference in what clinics could do for patients then vs. today. Clinics complain that what they’re paid is less than what it costs to do in-center HD and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true. The way some make it up is by being part of a vertically integrated corporation that sells machines, supplies, has a lab or pharmacy, etc. or by having a better mix of patients with commercial insurance to offset Medicare’s low reimbursement.

Training costs are expensive. The allowed charge for home training is the clinic’s normal composite rate (the rate for in-center dialysis) plus $20 per treatment for the 1-on-1 staff time, training manuals, etc. Medicare only reimburses the training days at 80% of the clinic’s composite rate plus $16 per treatment. Once a patient goes home, I’ve heard that it takes a couple of years for a clinic to recoup the training costs and costs of set up. This is assuming the patient does 3 times a week dialysis. When a patient does more frequent dialysis, unless Medicare is reimbursing for the extra treatments under medical justification, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that clinics lose money if you’re just looking at dialysis charges and not at medications and hospitalizations that can either save money or keep dialysis payments going to clinics instead of hospitals and patients’ quality of life that is “priceless” (as the credit card company would say).

WoW… $2500 sounds like a lot of money for a center to spend on a chair.
I bought through my private insurance in 1999 a Champion chair made in Ohio, USA. known to be one of the best made on the market and it sold for $800.-900 depending on size and style. I use it today it is comfy and a great tool.

$2500 does sound quite a bit too high…

Mine is not a LazyBoy nor a Champion but it sure is comfortable… :roll: …and I didn’t spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars… :stuck_out_tongue: